ST.JOHN BOSCO vs. MATER DEI ((LIVE))

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

ST.JOHN BOSCO vs. MATER DEI ((LIVE))

Post by TheNewNORM »

If anybody interested. #1 and #2 in the national HS ranks go at it LIVE at 4:30 pm. Today on Spectrum #1228./ Bally Sports soCal.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: ST.JOHN BOSCO vs. MATER DEI ((LIVE))

Post by gopunahou »

I love Mater Dei and know we’ll play Bosco twice. I don’t know if we can sweep a team as strong as they, but if we were to split with them, I’d rather lose tonight and end their season later. Like what happened in 2018.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mater Dei 17, St. John Bosco 7. Final. Probably will be a round two in the CIF playoffs.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I understand the benefits of Mater Dei winning last night (it lets the Monarchs know that they CAN beat SBJ), but I'm hoping this won't be a repeat of 2019. MD beat SBJ the first time around then pulled an ATL Falcons (and Seattle Seahawks in SB 49) and lost the one that counted.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:13 pm I love Mater Dei and know we’ll play Bosco twice. I don’t know if we can sweep a team as strong as they, but if we were to split with them, I’d rather lose tonight and end their season later. Like what happened in 2018.
I get why you say "we" when referring to Punahou, but why the "we" when referring to St. John Bosco?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

bandits1 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:23 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:13 pm I love Mater Dei and know we’ll play Bosco twice. I don’t know if we can sweep a team as strong as they, but if we were to split with them, I’d rather lose tonight and end their season later. Like what happened in 2018.
I get why you say "we" when referring to Punahou, but why the "we" when referring to St. John Bosco?
I made it a habit with Punahou that I did so with MD.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:45 pm
bandits1 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:23 pm
I made it a habit with Punahou that I did so with MD.
You mean when referring to Mater Dei? Maybe he's just a huge fan of them? A lot of teams have fan clubs or "nations", like if you're a Red Sox fan, you're part of "Red Sox nation", even if you don't live in the Boston or Massachusetts area. Or in his case, even if he's not an alumni of that school.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:48 pmYou mean when referring to Mater Dei? Maybe he's just a huge fan of them? A lot of teams have fan clubs or "nations", like if you're a Red Sox fan, you're part of "Red Sox nation", even if you don't live in the Boston or Massachusetts area. Or in his case, even if he's not an alumni of that school.
Of course I know all that. I just never heard someone say "we" when referring to a HIGH SCHOOL they didn't graduate from. College yeah and pros definitely, but never high school. Except maybe parents supporting the school their kids go to, assuming it's different from their own alma mater.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

bandits1 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:33 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:48 pmYou mean when referring to Mater Dei? Maybe he's just a huge fan of them? A lot of teams have fan clubs or "nations", like if you're a Red Sox fan, you're part of "Red Sox nation", even if you don't live in the Boston or Massachusetts area. Or in his case, even if he's not an alumni of that school.
Of course I know all that. I just never heard someone say "we" when referring to a HIGH SCHOOL they didn't graduate from. College yeah and pros definitely, but never high school. Except maybe parents supporting the school their kids go to, assuming it's different from their own alma mater.
Is it really that unusual though, if it's an out of state team? I could see if he was supporting another Hawaii high school other than his own alma mater. Then it would kind of beg the question as to why he wasn't supporting the school he graduated from. But once you're talking about something out of state, to me, the personal connection isn't really necessary. Even with college football, I don't see anything wrong with supporting another school besides UH (who isn't doing well anyway).