Finally, the Pro Bowl is no more

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Finally, the Pro Bowl is no more

Post by Irse »

ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Finally, the Pro Bowl is no more

Post by EITSwarrior »

Good. At least it should put to bed some people who want New Aloha Stadium to be 50,000 seats so it would bring back the Pro Bowl.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

How would they now measure accomplishments now?

Quoting the ESPN story "Manning, a 14-time Pro Bowl pick during his Hall of Fame career."

We can say Manning is better than someone who is 3-Time Pro Bowl QB.

Now how will we measure?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:21 pm How would they now measure accomplishments now?

Quoting the ESPN story "Manning, a 14-time Pro Bowl pick during his Hall of Fame career."

Now how will we measure?
They are keeping the pro bowl selections. They just don’t have to play in a game with pads on.

I am not sure flag football can be injury free though with speed some of these guys have.

From a marketing perspective, supporting flag football is good for the nfl because it keeps kids involved in a sport that some parents would not allow at the tackle level. Creates a bigger audience. And the young flag football players can see pros doing it. So it helps fight the mentality that it is weak version of the sport. Real men don’t do that thinking. I appreciate all competitive sports. Tackle football can be high risk. It is a reasonable decision for a parent to point kids elsewhere.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:24 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:21 pm How would they now measure accomplishments now?

Now how will we measure?
They are keeping the pro bowl selections. They just don’t have to play in a game with pads on.

I am not sure flag football can be injury free though with speed some of these guys have.

From a marketing perspective, supporting flag football is good for the nfl because it keeps kids involved in a sport that some parents would not allow at the tackle level. Creates a bigger audience. And the young flag football players can see pros doing it. So it helps fight the mentality that it is weak version of the sport. Real men don’t do that thinking. I appreciate all competitive sports. Tackle football can be high risk. It is a reasonable decision for a parent to point kids elsewhere.
Simple is as simple does. The NFL is not a proponent of flag football. Nobody is. Flag football is, in fact, a stupid sport. In every sport, there is a risk.

Show-casing studs after they have competed...and lost...is stupid. There is no competition. The competitors aren't necessarily the best in class. Sometimes, they are simply the most popular. It's nothing more than a beauty contest.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

It was fine back in the days when salaries weren't that high and guys needed the extra money. With the higher salaries, the game became a liability because nobody wanted to get hurt and lose out on their high salary. Glad it's gone.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

When the "game" becomes more like touch football, you know that its time to go.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:19 am
Simple is as simple does. The NFL is not a proponent of flag football. Nobody is. Flag football is, in fact, a stupid sport. In every sport, there is a risk.
Maybe you and I do agree, and you just used a different word. I would not call flag football "stupid." There was an "adult league" of flag football players in Hawaii. This was probably 40-50 years ago. They play fast, "physical", and there's still contact but not the same as being full blown hit. To be honest, that was too rough of me back then. Yes, guys do get hurt. But maybe not hurt in the same way.

In no way does flag football come close to football. But any sports is good for the young and old. If moms can approve their kids playing and the kids love it. Sure. I would not want people to think flag football is weak.

I don't know if that "league" is still around today. But I would not be brave enough to tell those guys flag football is weak. I guess those guys want to play competitive football and don't want to be on crutches because they need to work on Monday to pay rent.