2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

Campbell 24, Kapolei 6 H

St. Louis 14, Kamehameha 0 H

As bad as the injuries have been for Kamehameha, I've noticed that St. Louis is also missing some key players.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

St. Louis 30, Kamehameha 7 F

The very things that've plagued St. Louis all season struck again, with penalties aiding Kamehameha's only touchdown of the game. Kamehameha seemed to get something going with their running game (as they did last week) but found almost no rhythm passing. If they can't improve their passing game, their only hope for a win might be their second game against us (should we defeat St. Louis again and use our backups), but even that might be a tall order, considering they also struggled to stop Ty. I also wonder if the bye kind of hurt St. Louis. I know they didn't fix their penalty problem during their bye.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Nine,

1.Kahuku 6-2 Lost to St. Frances Academy, MD 22-15. @ Moanalua next.
2.Punahou 5-1 DNP. No.5 St.Louis next.
3.Mililani 5-2 Def. Leilehua 49-14. @ No.6 Kapolei next.
4.Campbell 5-2 def. Kapolei 38-19. @ Waianae next.
5.St.Louis 3-3 Def. Kamehameha 30-7 @ No.2 Punahou next.
6.Kapolei 5-2 Lost to Campbell 38-19. Mililani next.
7. Iolani 7-0 Def. Kamehameha II 37-0. Damien next.
8.Lahainaluna 6-0 DNP. Kamehameha-Maui next.
9.Waipahu 6-1 Def.Castle 60-13. @ Kailua next.
10.Aiea 5-2 Def.Radford 68-0. @ Castle next.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

St. Louis suffered a HUGE loss to injury defensively—Julian Savaiianea suffered an ankle injury and isn’t likely to return to St. Louis’s game against us.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

By the way, Punahou leads St. Louis, 21-7. Beginning of the 2nd quarter.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 28, St. Louis 14 H

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 42, St. Louis 14 start of 4th quarter

I think the loss of Savaiianea decimated St. Louis’s defense.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 42, St Louis 21 F

This win gives us the first round title and bye in the upcoming ILH playoffs. It also gives Kamehameha a strong chance of winning their only game of the year. I can’t imagine them beating a St. Louis team fighting for its season in two weeks, but they’ll likely face our backups next week. I can’t imagine us playing most of our starters, considering our the injuries we’ve already suffered and the injuries that kept on mounting last year. Even though Kamehameha will be playing against most of our backups next week, it ain’t a guarantee that they’ll win, considering they struggled to stop Ty in the first matchup. We also haven’t won the ILH, since we need one more win over St. Louis. There’s only been one team that’s beaten them three times—our 2005 team. The way our first two games against them have gone, we’ve got a great chance of matching two feats that that team accomplished—beating SLS 3 times in a season and ending a long streak of ILH titles from them.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Ten,

1.Kahuku 7-2 Def.Moanalua 60-7. @ No.3 Mililani next.
2.Punahou 6-1 Def. St. Louis 42-21. @ Kamehameha next.
3.Mililani 6-2 Def. Kapolei 42-21. No.1 Kahuku next.
4.Campbell 6-2 Def. Waianae 49-21.
5.St.Louis 3-4 Lost to Punahou.
6.Iolani 8-0 Def. Damien 42-13. PAC-Five next. Move up one.
7.Kapolei 5-3 Lost to Mililani. @ Leilehua next. Drop one spot.
8.Lahainaluna 7-0 Def. Kamehameha-Maui 35-7.Baldwin next.
9.Waipahu 7-1 Def. Kailua 26-16.
10.Aiea 6-2 Def. Castle $52-35. @ Farrington next.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:46 am Week Ten,

1.Kahuku 7-2 Def.Moanalua 60-7. @ No.3 Mililani next.
2.Punahou 6-1 Def. St. Louis 42-21. @ Kamehameha next.
3.Mililani 6-2 Def. Kapolei 42-21. No.1 Kahuku next.
4.Campbell 6-2 Def. Waianae 49-21.
5.St.Louis 3-4 Lost to Punahou.
6.Iolani 8-0 Def. Damien 42-13. PAC-Five next. Move up one.
7.Kapolei 5-3 Lost to Mililani. @ Leilehua next. Drop one spot.
8.Lahainaluna 7-0 Def. Kamehameha-Maui 35-7.Baldwin next.
9.Waipahu 7-1 Def. Kailua 26-16.
10.Aiea 6-2 Def. Castle $52-35. @ Farrington next.
I’ve said it once and i’ll say it again. iolani DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE RANKED.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:54 pm Punahou 42, St Louis 21 F

This win gives us the first round title and bye in the upcoming ILH playoffs. It also gives Kamehameha a strong chance of winning their only game of the year. I can’t imagine them beating a St. Louis team fighting for its season in two weeks, but they’ll likely face our backups next week. I can’t imagine us playing most of our starters, considering our the injuries we’ve already suffered and the injuries that kept on mounting last year. Even though Kamehameha will be playing against most of our backups next week, it ain’t a guarantee that they’ll win, considering they struggled to stop Ty in the first matchup. We also haven’t won the ILH, since we need one more win over St. Louis. There’s only been one team that’s beaten them three times—our 2005 team. The way our first two games against them have gone, we’ve got a great chance of matching two feats that that team accomplished—beating SLS 3 times in a season and ending a long streak of ILH titles from them.
If I remember right. the oc16 commentators were saying during the first saint louis game that punahou doesn’t have many reserves. i saw their sideline and it looked small compared to their kakuku and waianae games when they had about 90 players suited up. can’t remember the reason for less players but gopunahou maybe you know why. if punahou does play with the reserves they have, i’m sure it would still be a blowout. i think the starters play the first half or quarter then send the bench in.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

808hsfootball wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:11 pm

If I remember right. the oc16 commentators were saying during the first saint louis game that punahou doesn’t have many reserves. i saw their sideline and it looked small compared to their kakuku and waianae games when they had about 90 players suited up. can’t remember the reason for less players but gopunahou maybe you know why. if punahou does play with the reserves they have, i’m sure it would still be a blowout. i think the starters play the first half or quarter then send the bench in.
I think Punahou kept between 50 and 60 players for its highest level varsity team. Some kids who began the season on our highest level varsity team joined our D2 team, whose season started after the Kahuku game. Our D2 hasn’t finished its season but is playing with kids that played a couple of snaps in our earlier games. I think our D2 team’s season ends in late October. You’ve got a good point about it still likely being a blowout despite the likelihood of us sitting a ton of starters.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:38 pm

I think Punahou kept between 50 and 60 players for its highest level varsity team. Some kids who began the season on our highest level varsity team joined our D2 team, whose season started after the Kahuku game. Our D2 hasn’t finished its season but is playing with kids that played a couple of snaps in our earlier games. I think our D2 team’s season ends in late October. You’ve got a good point about it still likely being a blowout despite the likelihood of us sitting a ton of starters.
Players are allowed to move down from the varsity to the 2nd team? I don't think this is allowed in the OIA, where you have varsity and JV teams.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm

Players are allowed to move down from the varsity to the 2nd team? I don't think this is allowed in the OIA, where you have varsity and JV teams.
Yes, because that’s what happened with us. I think this is allowed in the ILH because the league allows 2nd team players to rejoin the varsity once the 2nd team’s season ends. I know that some of our D2 kids played a bit in our August games.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:07 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm
Yes, because that’s what happened with us. I think this is allowed in the ILH because the league allows 2nd team players to rejoin the varsity once the 2nd team’s season ends. I know that some of our D2 kids played a bit in our August games.
Ok. Do you also happen to know why the ILH ended JV football around 20 years ago? I mean, having second teams is pretty close to what JV is, except in JV, usually only freshmen and sophomores are eligible. At least in the OIA.

Are juniors and seniors eligible to play on the 2nd team? Or is it just underclassmen?