New Aloha Stadium & TC Ching Expansion

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Stadium

Post by My3Cats »

NASED will eventually happen. But IMHO there will not be any stadium built because our State is run by doofuses all around. Ige is the biggest.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:16 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:56 am
sarvicdar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 pm If only Abercrombie hadn't loss to then Sen. Ige in the 2014 primary and was re-elected Governor, the University of Hawaii wouldn't be without a stadium. I believe Abercrombie would have got his hands on the Aloha Staduim mess. Why I say this is because Abercrombie was a big supporter of UH athletics. I always saw his yellow taxi at Aloha Stadium. Ige? He could care less.
While I believe Abercrombie would have been more reactive than Ige is to the stadium situation, he sure as hell was not proactive. We have known for almost two decades that Aloha Stadium's days were numbered. It either needed to be replaced or have a very extensive renovation. Repairs they were doing in the meantime could only do so much. I could be not remembering very well but I don't recall Abercrombie initiating any sort of stadium planning. Yeah sure he probably had a lot of other issues to take care of. But he and Cayentano like to criticize NASED yet they did nothing about Aloha Stadium.
At least Abercrombie continued to support & include Capital Improvement Project (CIP) design & construction funding for repairs of the Aloha Stadium in his Executive budget throughout his administration to extend the usable life for the existing Aloha Stadium whereas Ige cut-off all CIP design & construction funding for Aloha Stadium in 2015 immediately upon becoming Governor. The last construction repair project at Aloha Stadium was completed in Summer 2018 utilizing Abercrombie-initiated CIP design & construction funding appropriated back in 2014 (the last year of his administration).

Governor Ige plain ignored the cautionary warnings from the State's structural engineering consultant back in January 2019 (at the start of the 2019 Legislative Session) about the impending shut-down of the Aloha Stadium due to its the rapidly deteriorating condition.....probably because he still fancies himself as a "wannabe" engineer.

Link

Site assessment & planning activities for the new Aloha Stadium were initiated during the Lingle administration but got no support from the Democratic Party-led State Legislature, then Abercrombie tabled it when he became Governor in 2011 (at least until a 2nd-term which never came). Instead Abercrombie focused his efforts on lifting the building-height and construction-density restrictions in Kaka'ako through his appointees on the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) which accelerated the approval of private development/construction projects in an attempt to build his political war-chest with contributions from the various private developers/builders.
I gave Abercrombie credit for doing repairs to Aloha Stadium. I did say what it needed was a "very extensive renovation" if not replacement.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:37 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:56 am

While I believe Abercrombie would have been more reactive than Ige is to the stadium situation, he sure as hell was not proactive. We have known for almost two decades that Aloha Stadium's days were numbered. It either needed to be replaced or have a very extensive renovation. Repairs they were doing in the meantime could only do so much. I could be not remembering very well but I don't recall Abercrombie initiating any sort of stadium planning. Yeah sure he probably had a lot of other issues to take care of. But he and Cayentano like to criticize NASED yet they did nothing about Aloha Stadium.
At least Abercrombie continued to support & include Capital Improvement Project (CIP) design & construction funding for repairs of the Aloha Stadium in his Executive budget throughout his administration to extend the usable life for the existing Aloha Stadium whereas Ige cut-off all CIP design & construction funding for Aloha Stadium in 2015 immediately upon becoming Governor. The last construction repair project at Aloha Stadium was completed in Summer 2018 utilizing Abercrombie-initiated CIP design & construction funding appropriated back in 2014 (the last year of his administration).

Governor Ige plain ignored the cautionary warnings from the State's structural engineering consultant back in January 2019 (at the start of the 2019 Legislative Session) about the impending shut-down of the Aloha Stadium due to its the rapidly deteriorating condition.....probably because he still fancies himself as a "wannabe" engineer.

Link
I gave Abercrombie credit for doing repairs to Aloha Stadium. I did say what it needed was a "very extensive renovation" if not replacement.
Extensive repair (nor renovation) weren't needed back in 2019.....just timely repair work needed to be continued (which didn't happen because Ige ignored everyone (DAGS and it's structural engineering consultant & the Aloha Stadium Authority).

Planning activities for a new replacement stadium needed to get initiated by Ige in his 1st term (instead of waiting until his 2nd team) then accelerated by Ige instead of getting delayed (already by more than 1 year....even before his latest "re-direction").

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kapakahi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Link
Extensive repair (nor renovation) weren't needed back in 2019.....just timely repair work needed to be continued (which didn't happen because Ige ignored everyone (DAGS and it's structural engineering consultant & the Aloha Stadium Authority).

Planning activities for a new replacement stadium needed to get initiated by Ige in his 1st term (instead of waiting until his 2nd team) then accelerated by Ige instead of getting delayed (already by more than 1 year....even before his latest "re-direction").
2019 repair work would’ve been nothing but patch jobs just to get scrape by minimum safety standards to eek out another what 2-3 years of use. Extensive repair/replacement was needed over a decade ago.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:11 pm
kapakahi wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:14 pm

2019 repair work would’ve been nothing but patch jobs just to get scrape by minimum safety standards to eek out another what 2-3 years of use. Extensive repair/replacement was needed over a decade ago.
Non-extensive patchwork repairs that were continuously performed on Aloha Stadium since the mid-2000's under Lingle extended the usage of Aloha Stadium for an additional 15 years.

Since the State Legislature was never going to appropriate the funds for extensive repairs to the old stadium (in addition to appropriating funding for a new replacement stadium), planning (then design) activities for a new replacement stadium should have started a decade ago (when Abercrombie was Governor since he had the support of the Democratic Party-led State Legislature) so that a new replacement stadium would already have been constructed before the stadium shut-down in 2021.

The original planning studies (initiated under Lingle) recommended a new replacement stadium to be built adjacent to the existing stadium (in the Upper Halawa Lot above the Lower Halawa Lot) while non-extensive patchwork repairs continued to be performed during the football off-season period on the existing stadium structure so that it could be safely maintained and kept in use (until it's demolition following the completion of the new replacement stadium) instead of re-developing the entire stadium site.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

so,when is ige going announce his magical plan to get the stadium built quick?

st808_
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by st808_ »

anykine wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:01 pm so,when is ige going announce his magical plan to get the stadium built quick?
0900 hours . . . October . . . 10 . . . 2027.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

anykine wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:01 pm so,when is ige going announce his magical plan to get the stadium built quick?
None of this conversation was driven by Ige …. Remember this was one department being told stop doing XYZ and then the press finding out … and the Ige saying I’ll get back to you all in three weeks after we look at this …

This is how he leads … oops, now let’s look at this … I’ll get back to you

A qualified leader has plans mapped out and is able to articulate the plans before major impacts go down the executive branch food chain. I now think the guy is just an idiot when it comes to managing government. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here. Alternatively, we could call him arrogant.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

are we still paying the stadium authority executives and management?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:45 am are we still paying the stadium authority executives and management?
Basically, the part of the meeting I heard … The stadium authority was told something like under further review you guys are in charge of this but you really are not in charge of this because we (Ige) have the final say….

… so they are basically stooges according to Ige (passive aggressive) government management principles…. And they got the flea market …

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Just wondering, can they tear down the top and keep just the Orange section? Would that be cheaper? Not that we need a 50,000 seat stadium.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:59 am Just wondering, can they tear down the top and keep just the Orange section? Would that be cheaper? Not that we need a 50,000 seat stadium.
They always give a reason why they can’t. Not sure the exact excuses. But it is not going to be considered.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:59 am Just wondering, can they tear down the top and keep just the Orange section? Would that be cheaper? Not that we need a 50,000 seat stadium.
Yeah if we play only day games. The lights are on the top of the stadium.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Still would need to repair the orange section. So you need to figure what is the extent of the repair job? Also would have to build new press/coaches boxes and I imagine some suites. Then you need to figure at what point is it cheaper to demolish and rebuild than repair?

And New Aloha Stadium is not a 50,000 seat stadium. At last checked it has a 35-40,000 capacity. With all these recent delay issues I imagine its probably gone down to 30,000.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

That would be one hell of a repair job. And expensive at that. All things considered, it is either a new stadium or bust. 30k seats nuff...with the possibility and space to expand if we ever have "one of those seasons" again.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul