Veneri Brothers as Play by Play Announcers

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Veneri Brothers as Play by Play Announcers

Post by Walkoff Balk »

Listening to them is like the Mannings cast. You get informative and funny opinions. But, I'm used to hearing yards gain and down and distance as soon as the whistle blows when the play is over.[hudl][/hudl]

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Veneri Brothers as Play by Play Announcers

Post by shrek2 »

Mark is better than John. Listened to them in the first game. Down and distance and the kind of play is important for me in the broadcast and they might have one out of the three. Mark kept correcting John on the spot but not making it obvious. Usually, I have the stats turned on while listening to the broadcast but the stats come out faster than the radio. Maybe it was nervous energy with John but I could recognize his mistakes without being there. Saying things like the line averaged 6-10 which I knew he meant 310 since it was mentioned earlier.

I liked the Duquesne broadcasters as they didn't express their bias like I've heard Nevada broadcasters. Such as a penalty should have been called, etc. I can bypass their errors in pronouncing names like Penny Peavy. :lol:

Watching Michigan stats was delightful as they actually showed pass at what yard like with YAC of another x yards.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I like Mark, too. He describes the formations, the type of routes the receivers are running, the nuances of the RB and points out what went right or wrong with the play. His critiques of Yellen are spot on- i.e., why is he throwing off his back foot, why isn't the QB not planting his feet as he throws. Mark allows me to visualize what I can't see. John acknowledged that this is their first journey and there are mistakes, but as a former player theres nosugarcoating what he sees (I like that). I also like the subtle snipping between brothers. Hunter compliments the two well with his sideline reports.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The brothers sound pretty good in their fifth game. Mark is just overriding John with the spot calls which is all good.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Can't say enough about Mark. He does a great job. Mark and Andrew Martinez did a great job together. I like them.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:31 pm Can't say enough about Mark. He does a great job. Mark and Andrew Martinez did a great job together. I like them.
Andrew or Arnold?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:23 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:31 pm Can't say enough about Mark. He does a great job. Mark and Andrew Martinez did a great job together. I like them.
Andrew or Arnold?
Probably Arnold. One quarter stand-in when John went to half time celebration. Mark and Arnold did a good job. The broadcast moved faster and more colorful and it didn't require live stats to get the real play by play.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:12 am
Andrew or Arnold?
Probably Arnold. One quarter stand-in when John went to half time celebration. Mark and Arnold did a good job. The broadcast moved faster and more colorful and it didn't require live stats to get the real play by play.
I don't know if Coach Arnold also had a brother 😀
I was actually talking with Coach Arnold on the sideline. He was breaking down the game and still very engaged in the game. Maybe one day he'll return to coaching

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:43 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:12 am
Andrew or Arnold?
I don't know if Coach Arnold also had a brother 😀
I was actually talking with Coach Arnold on the sideline. He was breaking down the game and still very engaged in the game. Maybe one day he'll return to coaching
This one went way, way over my head.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I like the Veneri brothers on the radio. I do wish however for John to improve on his ability to paint a picture on radio. Let us know the yard markers, where they take the pitch from, where they catch the ball, etc. I know he will get better with more time. The play by play announcer on radio must be very descriptive and is able to paint the game picture for those who are not able to watch.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

bigislandkurt wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:31 pm I like the Veneri brothers on the radio. I do wish however for John to improve on his ability to paint a picture on radio. Let us know the yard markers, where they take the pitch from, where they catch the ball, etc. I know he will get better with more time. The play by play announcer on radio must be very descriptive and is able to paint the game picture for those who are not able to watch.
Back in the day, Les Keiter led a training class at Aloha Stadium for aspiring sportscasters. You can tell the difference in those who learned from "The General" vs. those who didn't. Keiter was legendary for his baseball game re-creations for radio, which required him to 100% imagine what's needed by a listener who can't see the game (because he wasn't watching it himself).

If the radio brothers really want to improve, they should: 1) listen to their own broadcast end-to-end, though none of us like to do that; 2) listen to opponents' radio broadcasts of the same game; and 3) ask someone else like a radio broadcaster they respect from another MWC school for feedback.