Matagi Thompson Ranks 698th At The Safety Position

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Re: Matagi Thompson Ranks 698th At The Safety Position

Post by sarvicdar »

Another example of poor play-On Ronnie Bells TD reception #25 is in perfect position to bat the ball away, intercept, or lay some wood and jar the ball loose. He did neither. He just stood there.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

UH's current safety coach, Josh Brown, did well last season at UTEP, coaching the secondary and safeties. On the season UTEP ranked 35th nationally at passing defense and in 13 game schedule allowed only 1 QB to pass over 300 yards in a game. These are great numbers, and it tells me he knows his coaching. As Thompson's current position coach what I find peculiar is why is he currently giving Thompson the keys to the defense, when the player has shown he lacks the talent and ability to open the door. Brown is a seasoned coach he has to see what I see in the player (which is not much). Is the well empty of safeties at UH that Brown is pretty much resigned to playing Thompson? UH currently ranks dead last in giving up chunk plays (10+ yards), which is no surprise when the heart of the defense (safeties) is lacking.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/nat ... ort01.html

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Nisei wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:14 pm
cabanalane wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:01 pm I noticed #25 at times and felt the same way (bad/missed plays). But I didn't know who he is.

The team need to put names back on the jersey.

I totally get some teams don't want to put names on the jersey because they play as a team. Win and loose as a team.

I heard that TC said the names did not arrive on time for the season opener. OK, now it's Week 4 (or Week3 depends if you count 1 as 0). Plenty ladies in Hawaii I know can sew.
Names were on the jerseys for the Michigan game.
You are right. Wasn't thinking.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:41 pm UH's current safety coach, Josh Brown, did well last season at UTEP, coaching the secondary and safeties. On the season UTEP ranked 35th nationally at passing defense and in 13 game schedule allowed only 1 QB to pass over 300 yards in a game. These are great numbers, and it tells me he knows his coaching. As Thompson's current position coach what I find peculiar is why is he currently giving Thompson the keys to the defense, when the player has shown he lacks the talent and ability to open the door. Brown is a seasoned coach he has to see what I see in the player (which is not much). Is the well empty of safeties at UH that Brown is pretty much resigned to playing Thompson? UH currently ranks dead last in giving up chunk plays (10+ yards), which is no surprise when the heart of the defense (safeties) is lacking.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2022/leader/nat ... ort01.html
Maybe he's the best we have at this time. He was here for spring camp so he may know the defense the best. The others came in the fall and while they may be more talented, they may not know the schemes as well.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:39 am Maybe he's the best we have at this time. He was here for spring camp so he may know the defense the best. The others came in the fall and while they may be more talented, they may not know the schemes as well.
something to consider...

with three strong opponents to start the season, followed by the FCS game and then the bye week, this first quarter of the season is essentially a preseason: fall camp + 5 weeks of practice + 4 real games. Coming off the first game where we aren't overmatched on size and speed, the bye week is the time to make real evaluations and real lineup changes where necessary. Perhaps NMSU is the game where we should be making start/sit observations on new players like Thompson and others (like QB).

I remember Rolo took a similar approach with Ikaika Woolsey/Dru Brown in his first season as well - the first quarter of the season was a break-in period for Brown because he was a fall addition and wasn't here in the spring.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Maybe he earned his position because he does the ha'a well. Maybe Tihati productions is a donor for the team.

JOKES JOKES JOKES! Jesss kiddding.

Who are the other safeties that could replace him?
Numbers don't lie.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I don't know know if anyone remembers Idaho safety Shiloh Keo. Back in 2007 I remember this player, like he was one of the best safeties. He was a complete thorn in the opponents side, especially UH's and USC's. That's what I want in a safety, a thorn in the side of the opponent not a pillow.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:38 am I don't know know if anyone remembers Idaho safety Shiloh Keo. Back in 2007 I remember this player, like he was one of the best safeties. He was a complete thorn in the opponents side, especially UH's and USC's. That's what I want in a safety, a thorn in the side of the opponent not a pillow.
Isn't that the guy who stuck his leg up when he was on the ground and caused Rodney Bradley to break his leg?

Irse

Post by Irse »

Nisei wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:05 pm
sarvicdar wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:38 am I don't know know if anyone remembers Idaho safety Shiloh Keo. Back in 2007 I remember this player, like he was one of the best safeties. He was a complete thorn in the opponents side, especially UH's and USC's. That's what I want in a safety, a thorn in the side of the opponent not a pillow.
Isn't that the guy who stuck his leg up when he was on the ground and caused Rodney Bradley to break his leg?
Yep. He tripped Bradley. Dirty play.
ImageImage

Txbow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Txbow »

Safety Matagi Thompson is overmatched. So obvious. Makaula 19 should start at safety.

Irse

Post by Irse »

According to the game notes for the Duquesne game, Thompson is slated to start with Pei as his backup. Don't know how accurate it is though.
ImageImage

ton15t4k
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ton15t4k »

Irse wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:50 pm According to the game notes for the Duquesne game, Thompson is slated to start with Pei as his backup. Don't know how accurate it is though.
Do you have a link to the Duquesne game notes? I think Edwards should get more playing time. Also, maybe Hausman can play some safety. Thompson just needs more time to develop.

Irse

Post by Irse »

ton15t4k wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:53 pm
Irse wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:50 pm According to the game notes for the Duquesne game, Thompson is slated to start with Pei as his backup. Don't know how accurate it is though.
Do you have a link to the Duquesne game notes? I think Edwards should get more playing time. Also, maybe Hausman can play some safety. Thompson just needs more time to develop.
https://hawaiiathletics.com/documents/2 ... quesne.pdf
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Coach Brown really likes Thompson and thinks that he has a huge upside. So I think Matagi is a work in progress. Will see if Brown can coach him up.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: