2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I will be cheering for the local boys, but, St Louis will get smoked against Gorman. Mililani might be able to hang with Mater Dei for a little while, but they will get smoked as well.

I love my alma Mater, and I'm praying they ball out against SJB and St Frances, but the overall size, speed and strength of those two schools is at another level. SJB just went to Texas and absolutely demolished a team that has been traditionally a very good program.

But for this week, i think the Puns will give Big Red a pretty good game. I don't think the Puns will be able to pull off the upset, but we'll see what we see Saturday night.

Playing Punahou and Campbell before heading to Cali will definitely help Big Red prepare for SJB.

RRFL!!

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Big weekend of hs football coming up.
Kahuku v. punahou will be a preview of the state championship game. After watching Campbell v. mililani I think the OIA open top 3 teams are better than the ILH open 3. Stl won’t hang with bishop gorman but they should put up a little fight.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:28 am Big weekend of hs football coming up.
Kahuku v. punahou will be a preview of the state championship game. After watching Campbell v. mililani I think the OIA open top 3 teams are better than the ILH open 3. Stl won’t hang with bishop gorman but they should put up a little fight.
I agree with your third point, being that I think Leilehua is the only team in the OIA Open that I think KSK could surely beat. If they played Waianae, it could go either way, especially since Waianae seemed to find an offensive niche at the end of their game against us. I expect their games against Campbell and Mililani to be much more competitive than their previous two games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:48 am Aiea @ Woodinville, WA.

Woodinville returns three O and 6 D starters from last years 6-4 team. 6-4 is considered underperforming by Falcon standards. Until Covid disrupted the 2020 season, Woodinville had been on a four to five year streak of winning at least one state playoff game each postseason.

The line features Two-star Pryce Roberts 6-5 280, the son of ex-Seattle Seahawks tackle Ray Roberts. Despite Roberts size,HC Wayne Maxwell says the line overall will be smaller than usual but will be more athletic. Ivori Keo 6-0 205 is the top pass rusher also doubles as the Falcons big back with a straight-ahead style. Cash Sanders 5-11 170 DB lead the team with four interceptions last year.

Aiea has the line advantage with Preston Taumua 6-4 315,Sila Unutoa 6-1 300, Logan Rouse 6-6 235,and Max Rouse 6-4 270.
Ezekiel Olie 6-2 200 has a 6-1 TD-INT ratio so far and receivers Jayden Chanel ,Rico Figueroa,Geronimo Ulgaran, and Jeremiah Cacpal all get chunk yardage after the catch.

I see Woodinville as being in the mold of Kapolei. I expect a close game and think Aiea gets the win.
With Aiea size, they should move up to Open. Even Waipahu has been on the cusp several years.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:56 am
unpaid wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:48 am Aiea @ Woodinville, WA.

Woodinville returns three O and 6 D starters from last years 6-4 team. 6-4 is considered underperforming by Falcon standards. Until Covid disrupted the 2020 season, Woodinville had been on a four to five year streak of winning at least one state playoff game each postseason.

The line features Two-star Pryce Roberts 6-5 280, the son of ex-Seattle Seahawks tackle Ray Roberts. Despite Roberts size,HC Wayne Maxwell says the line overall will be smaller than usual but will be more athletic. Ivori Keo 6-0 205 is the top pass rusher also doubles as the Falcons big back with a straight-ahead style. Cash Sanders 5-11 170 DB lead the team with four interceptions last year.

Aiea has the line advantage with Preston Taumua 6-4 315,Sila Unutoa 6-1 300, Logan Rouse 6-6 235,and Max Rouse 6-4 270.
Ezekiel Olie 6-2 200 has a 6-1 TD-INT ratio so far and receivers Jayden Chanel ,Rico Figueroa,Geronimo Ulgaran, and Jeremiah Cacpal all get chunk yardage after the catch.

I see Woodinville as being in the mold of Kapolei. I expect a close game and think Aiea gets the win.
With Aiea size, they should move up to Open. Even Waipahu has been on the cusp several years.
I hope Aiea also possesses superb speed. They’ll need it to topple Iolani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:55 pm
Dog 96707 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:28 am Big weekend of hs football coming up.
I agree with your third point, being that I think Leilehua is the only team in the OIA Open that I think KSK could surely beat. If they played Waianae, it could go either way, especially since Waianae seemed to find an offensive niche at the end of their game against us. I expect their games against Campbell and Mililani to be much more competitive than their previous two games.
i think ksk would definitely beat waianae, just not by much though. for sure within 2 scores, but i think it’s important to bring up that when “waianae seemed to find an offensive niche at the end of the game”, they were most likely playing against the twos and threes. most those boys on D looked freshmen sized and hell that waianae running back has the size to play OL for all of the ilh d1teams, any oia d1 teams, and even some oia open teams. i do give credit to that rb because he looks like he has skills, but i have to say in the beginning of the game the punahou D was shutting him down.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kudos to Aiea! Na Alii got the first win by a local team against a mainland team this year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Man, was I wrong when I said St. Louis’s game against BG wouldn’t resemble their matchup against St. John Bosco 8 years ago. The scores of both games were nearly identical.

Regardless, I expect to see us play them 3 times this year, but don’t think they’ll beat us 3 times as they did last year. We’ll take at least one game from them.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:24 pm Man, was I wrong when I said St. Louis’s game against BG wouldn’t resemble their matchup against St. John Bosco 8 years ago. The scores of both games were nearly identical.

Regardless, I expect to see us play them 3 times this year, but don’t think they’ll beat us 3 times as they did last year. We’ll take at least one game from them.
I'm not at home, but just looked quickly at Scoring Live. Punahou leads Kahuku 3-0 in the second quarter. It sounds like a rugged, physical defensive battle.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think Kahuku is pulling out all of the stops, unlike their preseason game against us in 2012. They've converted on the same type of plays that killed us in the 2011 and 2012 state championship games.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder if Mililani's starting QB suffered an injury against Moanalua.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Both Punahou and Kahuku are taking major risks. JK with the throws he's attempted (two of which ended in interceptions). Kahuku with a 4th down call deep in their own territory (that wound up giving us more than favorable field position).

We've also started using our backup QB, Ty McCutcheon. I wonder if we are just giving him a shot, even though JK has played more than admirably.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:18 pm Both Punahou and Kahuku are taking major risks. JK with the throws he's attempted (two of which ended in interceptions). Even if Kahuku manages to win this game, at this point, my alma matter is over rated. They are going to get killed by SBJ and St Frances.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:57 pm Both Punahou and Kahuku are taking major risks. JK with the throws he's attempted (two of which ended in interceptions). Even if Kahuku manages to win this game, at this point, my alma matter is over rated. They are going to get killed by SBJ and St Frances.
I don't know too much about St. Francis, but I echo your guarantee against St. John Bosco. I'm thinking a five-touchdown win for them, just because SBJ is that good. Mililani will also likely take a five-touchdown loss to Mater Dei.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Win or lose, tonight has proven that little separates Kahuku and Punahou.