End of Game etiquitte\common sense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

End of Game etiquitte\common sense

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I noticed a disturbing "trend" (disturbing to me) by the coaches at my alma mater.

With the game in hand with under a minute left and we have the ball near the goal line, the coaches are still having the players run plays to try and score.

In the JV game over the weekend, Big Red is winning 14 to 6 with less than 35 seconds left. The coaches decide to run a pass play, which nearly got intercepted and could've been returned for a pick 6.
Prior to that, to ran a running play. The Waianae kids were coming in hot and fast, which could've resulted in an unnecessary injury for either squad.

In the Kamehameha game, even though the game was well in hand, they left KaiKai in for another score.

What's the point? Why not just take a knee to run out the clock.

Thoughts?

RRFL!!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: End of Game etiquitte\common sense

Post by ChadFukuoka »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:23 am I noticed a disturbing "trend" (disturbing to me) by the coaches at my alma mater.

With the game in hand with under a minute left and we have the ball near the goal line, the coaches are still having the players run plays to try and score.

In the JV game over the weekend, Big Red is winning 14 to 6 with less than 35 seconds left. The coaches decide to run a pass play, which nearly got intercepted and could've been returned for a pick 6.
Prior to that, to ran a running play. The Waianae kids were coming in hot and fast, which could've resulted in an unnecessary injury for either squad.

In the Kamehameha game, even though the game was well in hand, they left KaiKai in for another score.

What's the point? Why not just take a knee to run out the clock.

Thoughts?

RRFL!!
Has this only been happening this year? You've had Sterling Carvalho as head coach for a few years. Maybe it's one of his assistants running the offense?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I noticed it at the varsity level last year as well.

It's one thing to continue to run plays when there is a lot of time on the clock; you want kids to get in there reps; but with under a minute left and the game in hand...wth.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It is right to show mercy to someone you have power over in the situations you have described. With a minute left to go and you have enough timeouts to run out the clock…yeah, why do you leave a starter in to tack on another score when you have creamed the opponent by the score Kahuku did in the Kamehameha game?

Football coaches are always talking about how football teaches you life lessons and how it makes you a better man. Does it always? If we should love and help our fellow man then, how does football teach you compassion for your fellow man when the coaches are trying to tack on another score at the end of a game that they are winning by more than 30 points. It would seem to me that those coaches are not teaching mercy or compassion for their fellow men,but are really teaching their players to be number one and forget about other people even when you know the other guy is beat,just keep piling on.

What goes around comes around.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

At least Punahou took it "easy" on Castle. The game could've been 56-0 or 63-0.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

My opinion is that there are a couple reasons for late (unnecessary) scores...
1. Pressure of rankings and the visual of convincing wins
2. Getting players stats up
3. Having reserve players get natural reps rather than go in to run the clock out

I don't think any of these reasons are a bad thing. It's all relative to the fact that the other team has the same opportunity to stop them. In the case of the JV game where it could have changed the outcome of the game, as the team behind, wouldn't you want that opportunity anyway? Leaving Kaikai in the game for a late score is just statting him up. It is what it is. Does it jeopardize his chances of injury? Absolutely. But you can't play the game to not get hurt. I don't think Sterling is trying to be an okole - the flip side to the life lesson is; life isn't fair either. I think sometimes we are too focused on the small parts of the game like this rather than just getting better and not being in that situation. Kahuku will be in this situation a lot this season and it's really not their fault.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

University Ave wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:24 am My opinion is that there are a couple reasons for late (unnecessary) scores...
1. Pressure of rankings and the visual of convincing wins
2. Getting players stats up
3. Having reserve players get natural reps rather than go in to run the clock out

I don't think any of these reasons are a bad thing. It's all relative to the fact that the other team has the same opportunity to stop them. In the case of the JV game where it could have changed the outcome of the game, as the team behind, wouldn't you want that opportunity anyway? Leaving Kaikai in the game for a late score is just statting him up. It is what it is. Does it jeopardize his chances of injury? Absolutely. But you can't play the game to not get hurt. I don't think Sterling is trying to be an okole - the flip side to the life lesson is; life isn't fair either. I think sometimes we are too focused on the small parts of the game like this rather than just getting better and not being in that situation. Kahuku will be in this situation a lot this season and it's really not their fault.
I'd say your third reason would make the most sense. It's good to see if the backups can execute the plays they were practicing in a live game situation, against a different opponent than the practice scout team.

I don't think rankings matter too much in high school football since every league has a state berth, just win your league and you're in states. It's not like college football, where a committee picks the top 4 teams. I'm not sure how much stats matter when there is game tape of the player, and scouts here in Hawaii, and visiting from the mainland. You can tell a player is good, whether he gets 150 yards rushing, or 200. Or 15 carries, or 20 carries. You can see the strength, speed, quickness, from the plays he does get.