Mascot?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Mascot?

Post by UnBiasFan »

Is this a thing of the past? Dead and gone forever.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Mascot?

Post by cabanalane »

Yes IMO unfortunately. Even Vili would likely offend someone, and put Polynesians in the wrong light.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Yes. It seems that way. As cabanalane mentioned, someone will get offended if we get a Vili type mascot.
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Most potential mascot candidates today would either be criticized or ridiculed. Would be tough to conjure one that would meet approval of a vast majority of fans and non-fans.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Vili was a great mascot but the ownership and the licensing of his likeness was a sticking point and will continue to be. You can't just go out and get another vili. Vili himself would probably be the first person to sue UH if they did.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Exactly. If they have a "Warrior" mascot that does anything on the field, Vili would need to get paid, first.

If the new mascot is a Monk Seal, that would just be weak and butt of jokes.

I rather save the $$$ for something else.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

The theme of being Polynesian warriors can be genuine and inclusive of all our athletes. The one’s that pull this off the best are the All Blacks. When they do the Haka, nobody is thinking what is that Caucasian guy doing there. I think we have pulled it off pretty well as a sign of inclusivity and strength. So if a mascot was genuine to a Polynesian theme, it might work. But I agree it is difficult to pull it off correctly, and now is not the time focus on that. The only thing that matters now is to get our first win in this new era.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

A Vili type person would be awesome. Vili isn't coming back , bc he's in TX and living the life.

Is Mamoa or the Rock available? How about BJ ?
He only got 14 K votes and will be obviously available. If the other mascot or fans act up, cracks or huli the system. Lol.

Could look for some unkos from Kahuku or Waianae with connections to their community, so it can help with recruiting.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:03 pm A Vili type person would be awesome. Vili isn't coming back , bc he's in TX and living the life.

Is Mamoa or the Rock available? How about BJ ?
He only got 14 K votes and will be obviously available. If the other mascot or fans act up, cracks or huli the system. Lol.

Could look for some unkos from Kahuku or Waianae with connections to their community, so it can help with recruiting.
I am not saying he wouldn’t or couldn’t kick my azz in under five seconds … but BJ not big enough for the part

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Vili performed at this years Hula Bowl in Orlando. Hmmmm, I thought he was a Hawaii mascot. I kinda like the idea of a sea animal but the seal idea is already a mascot for the SF Giants in Lou Seal. Given that UH has received a generous donation from the Facebook group to study climate change on the ocean, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Willie (the humpback) Whale or something like that. I don't think UH will get favorable national attention because of their W-L but having a clever idea for a mascot might bring some national attention to the program. It'll give the national broadcasters something to talk about during timeouts.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's

Post by Palolo_2LA »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:01 am Vili performed at this years Hula Bowl in Orlando. Hmmmm, I thought he was a Hawaii mascot. I kinda like the idea of a sea animal but the seal idea is already a mascot for the SF Giants in Lou Seal. Given that UH has received a generous donation from the Facebook group to study climate change on the ocean, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Willie (the humpback) Whale or something like that. I don't think UH will get favorable national attention because of their W-L but having a clever idea for a mascot might bring some national attention to the program. It'll give the national broadcasters something to talk about during timeouts.
Humpback...really? Uh needs something aggressive and represent the Warrior nation a la Aqua bradha or Keyfe the War God.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:29 am
shrek2 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:01 am Vili performed at this years Hula Bowl in Orlando. Hmmmm, I thought he was a Hawaii mascot. I kinda like the idea of a sea animal but the seal idea is already a mascot for the SF Giants in Lou Seal. Given that UH has received a generous donation from the Facebook group to study climate change on the ocean, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Willie (the humpback) Whale or something like that. I don't think UH will get favorable national attention because of their W-L but having a clever idea for a mascot might bring some national attention to the program. It'll give the national broadcasters something to talk about during timeouts.
Humpback...really? Uh needs something aggressive and represent the Warrior nation a la Aqua bradha or Keyfe the War God.
A honu. Just kidding
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Here is a really bad sea monster from a really strange place and time …. https://youtu.be/RQGUlAzVjhM

Sorry to put you through this …

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

I've always been a fan of the Stanford tree. I'm all for a unique mascot. We are truly living in different times. Mascot does not need to be all buff, testosterone aggressive killa. I'll take a funny but marketable mascot. We might have missed the boat already on mascots.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I could see a mascot based on a Hawaiian waterman. Maybe a swimming surfing legend like Duke or Eddie,or perhaps a personification of a great Polynesian navigator that spread the culture throughout the great expanse of the Pacific.