Conference realignment and UH

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

MAJOR SHOCKER: USC & UCLA to the Big Ten by 2024!!!

Post by wyokie »

https://theathletic.com/news/usc-ucla-b ... i1kz0RAuh/

Wonder how long before SDSU and Boise gets invited to the PAC-12.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: MAJOR SHOCKER: USC & UCLA to the Big Ten by 2024!!!

Post by poidog »

wyokie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am https://theathletic.com/news/usc-ucla-b ... i1kz0RAuh/

Now we know why none of the MWC teams were interested in joining the AAC - they were waiting for this to happen.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

wyokie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am https://theathletic.com/news/usc-ucla-b ... i1kz0RAuh/

I think it's more likely the Pac-12 breaks apart. Oregon and Washington want to join the Big Ten, following USC and UCLA. The Big 12 would be interested in the "mountain schools", Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona St. Adding those would bring the league to 16 members. The other four schools, Cal, Stanford, Washington St, and Oregon St, will just have to find a new home, or go independent. I'd imagine Cal and Stanford can be independent, if the Big Ten doesn't add them for their academic prestige. Oregon St and Washington St would be in trouble without a landing spot, the last ones standing after the musical chairs have stopped. Unless they want to drop down to the Mountain West.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:01 am

I think it's more likely the Pac-12 breaks apart. Oregon and Washington want to join the Big Ten, following USC and UCLA. The Big 12 would be interested in the "mountain schools", Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Arizona St. Adding those would bring the league to 16 members. The other four schools, Cal, Stanford, Washington St, and Oregon St, will just have to find a new home, or go independent. I'd imagine Cal and Stanford can be independent, if the Big Ten doesn't add them for their academic prestige. Oregon St and Washington St would be in trouble without a landing spot, the last ones standing after the musical chairs have stopped. Unless they want to drop down to the Mountain West.
Exactly. That's why none of the MWC schools left. Either they get invited to the pac12 or the MWC gets to be the landing spot for any pac12 team without a home.

Interesting scenario with a bunch of pac12 teams going independent... UH's case for going independent gets better with more west coast independents available for football.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Rumor: Oregon and Washington applied to join the Big Ten as well tonight apparently!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

wyokie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:06 pm Rumor: Oregon and Washington applied to join the Big Ten as well tonight apparently!
Oregon State and Wazzu better start filling out their MWC applications!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I think they will end up with 4 18 team superconferences and the G6 will have their own championship. The super conferences may find a way to get rid of their lesser current schools.
ImageImage

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

On a sidenote: this is giving BYU fans something to gloat about.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:15 am On a sidenote: this is giving BYU fans something to gloat about.
Like they EVER needed an excuse! :roll:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:27 am I think they will end up with 4 18 team superconferences and the G6 will have their own championship. The super conferences may find a way to get rid of their lesser current schools.
I dunno... It doesn't even seem like the Big 10 and SEC even need to share their spoils with anyone else. it may become 2 24-team conferences or something like that. they only need to swallow a few schools from the Big 12 and ACC to be able to say that they have all the best programs that matter. At that point, like you said above, why would they want to keep teams like Northwestern or Indiana or Vanderbilt or Kentucky around for football? if they ever reach a point where the potential football money of a super league outweighs the potential money of NCAA basketball tournament shares, they'll move football to a conference-free format and conferences will only matter for olympic sports. It kinda sucks but if we are headed that way, we may as well get it over with.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

If the MWC folds we are screwed.
With our glorious 9000 seat on campus stadium, we might attract the Sunbelt or just go independent.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

One of three conferences will get killed off, IMO.....

Either...

The PAC-12 Conference (most obvious)
The Big 12 Conference
The Mountain West Conference

If the MW survives, we might end up getting Oregon State and Washington State.

BTW, the Big Ten is on a holding pattern while Notre Dame decides to either join the Big Ten for all sports including football or flat out just have the football team join the ACC.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:45 pm If the MWC folds we are screwed.
With our glorious 9000 seat on campus stadium, we might attract the Sunbelt or just go independent.
Hawaii would either go independent or just drop the program. The Sun Belt is committed to its regional footprint (the south).That's why they kicked out Idaho and New Mexico St several years ago. Idaho is now FCS in the Big Sky, and New Mexico St has been independent, but will join Conference USA next year.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

It's going to end up with two super conferences of the Big Ten and SEC. Then, the ACC and Big 12 will merge for an East of the Rockies conference. And, the Pac 12 and Moutain West will merge for a West of the Rockies conference. The two best teams will have a chance to move up to the super conference like the high school system.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Conference realignment and UH

Post by bigislandkurt »

Like many of you, news of USC and UCLA bolting for the big 10 was shocking, but somewhat intriguing. Maybe now…finally…maybe UH get chance to……join the…..ok, lemme stop.

The college football landscape is rebuilding itself on a maniacal pace and more than ever, $$$ is driving the rocket.

What does all of this mean for UH?

Not good, if you ask me.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul