Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: Way too early Top Ten Open/ D-I

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:17 pm Well, there go my plans and hopes of watching the Mater Dei-Mililani game. If only I could make a narcissistic internet troll pay for the trip.
Were you assuming Mater Dei was hosting and you were going to fly to their stadium? Is St John Bosco that much further away? You'd have to pay for plane fare and hotel either way.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:17 pm Well, there go my plans and hopes of watching the Mater Dei-Mililani game. If only I could make a narcissistic internet troll pay for the trip.
Were you assuming Mater Dei was hosting and you were going to fly to their stadium? Is St John Bosco that much further away? You'd have to pay for plane fare and hotel either way.
I thought Mililani was hosting. I'm already saving for another trip. I would see Mater Dei if they came here. They did so 30 years ago.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:31 pm
I thought Mililani was hosting. I'm already saving for another trip. I would see Mater Dei if they came here. They did so 30 years ago.
I know Mililani hosted and got smoked by St John Bosco. So did St Louis several years ago.

Who did Mater Dei play when they came here 3 years ago?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:28 pm

I know Mililani hosted and got smoked by St John Bosco. So did St Louis several years ago.

It was 30 years ago and they played Iolani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:36 pm

Yeah, I meant to write 30 years ago. Well, I guess that was back when the ILH was all one division and everyone played everyone else. It actually seems the current D2 ILH teams were stronger back then, compared to now. Iolani had some decent seasons, Pac-5 won a couple of prep bowls, etc.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:46 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:36 pm

Yeah, I meant to write 30 years ago. Well, I guess that was back when the ILH was all one division and everyone played everyone else. It actually seems the current D2 ILH teams were stronger back then, compared to now. Iolani had some decent seasons, Pac-5 won a couple of prep bowls, etc.
Pac-Five’s decline began in the late 1980s, when they became cellar dwellers. Iolani was as competitive as they come in the 1990s. The only team that beat them on a regular basis was St. Louis. We and KSK barely compiled winning records against them in the 90s.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope schools like Farrington, Roosevelt, and Kaiser let the ILH use their stadiums. Back in the 80s and 90s, some lesser games were played at Roosevelt and Kaiser. Those stadiums have undergone improvements and can host high-profile games.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think the OIA will give plenty of options for ILH teams who may want to play some of their games at a neutral site. Farrington has probably been the most accommodating in letting ILH schools,esp Damien use their field. In recent years,Farrington,Kailua,and Kaiser have all let PAC-Five use their stadiums as a “home”- neutral site.Going ten years back,when Punahou hosted West Anchorage,Alaska the game was played at Leilehua. Radford,Roosevelt,Aiea,and Moanalua have all let other schools play neutral site games at their facilities.

Punahou and St.Louis should be on the phone to some of these schools,Mililani too,If they would like to not play Kamehameha at their place every year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 am I think the OIA will give plenty of options for ILH teams who may want to play some of their games at a neutral site. Farrington has probably been the most accommodating in letting ILH schools,esp Damien use their field. In recent years,Farrington,Kailua,and Kaiser have all let PAC-Five use their stadiums as a “home”- neutral site.Going ten years back,when Punahou hosted West Anchorage,Alaska the game was played at Leilehua. Radford,Roosevelt,Aiea,and Moanalua have all let other schools play neutral site games at their facilities.

Punahou and St.Louis should be on the phone to some of these schools,Mililani too,If they would like to not play Kamehameha at their place every year.
I wonder how OIA teams would feel about playing us at Roosevelt or playing Kamehameha at Farrington.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:39 pm
unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 am I think the OIA will give plenty of options for ILH teams who may want to play some of their games at a neutral site. Farrington has probably been the most accommodating in letting ILH schools,esp Damien use their field. In recent years,Farrington,Kailua,and Kaiser have all let PAC-Five use their stadiums as a “home”- neutral site.Going ten years back,when Punahou hosted West Anchorage,Alaska the game was played at Leilehua. Radford,Roosevelt,Aiea,and Moanalua have all let other schools play neutral site games at their facilities.

I wonder how OIA teams would feel about playing us at Roosevelt or playing Kamehameha at Farrington.

You mentioned the possibility of playing day games. Does your field not have lights? I've never been to Punahou so I wouldn't know.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:52 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:39 pm

You mentioned the possibility of playing day games. Does your field not have lights? I've never been to Punahou so I wouldn't know.
We’ve installed lights for special events, such as graduation last year. But we’ve never considered playing night games. This is the only time I can remember where we’ve let an event take place at night at our stadium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL6Ysgf ... =emb_title

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think Pac-Five should move to D1 if it wishes to have any chance of making states. HHSAA rules state that a team can't compete in a state tournament if it is a league's only representative in a division. I also can't imagine Pac-Five's turnout being worse than it was in 2018, when St. Francis existed and hurt Pac-Five's turnout.

I also think there should be 10 teams in both the Open and D1 divisions, with D2 being 8 teams--all OIA.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:49 pm I think Pac-Five should move to D1 if it wishes to have any chance of making states. HHSAA rules state that a team can't compete in a state tournament if it is a league's only representative in a division. I also can't imagine Pac-Five's turnout being worse than it was in 2018, when St. Francis existed and hurt Pac-Five's turnout.

I also think there should be 10 teams in both the Open and D1 divisions, with D2 being 8 teams--all OIA.
It would be better to just have the state berths determined by record. Take the top 4 teams in the Open, the top 3 teams in the D1, and the top 3 teams in D2 (in this case the D2 state berths from Oahu expands to 3, Pac-5 or any third place OIA team can take the spot). Of the alliance is a merger between both the OIA and ILH, then the state berths shouldn't be given out separately. Just take the top teams, doesn't matter what league they are from. This would solve Pac 5's problem, and make the alliance a true merger. I don't think the OIA wants this, because it will likely reduce the amount of teams that qualify. Most of the time, in the Open, the second place ILH team is better than the third place OIA team, and would get the spot based on record, but it would be more fair.

It would probably be better to lock teams into a division for maybe 5 years, to see if they really belong there, than to keep having teams move from D1 to D2, and back, every couple of years. No long term stability.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:19 pm
gopunahou wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:49 pm I think Pac-Five should move to D1 if it wishes to have any chance of making states. HHSAA rules state that a team can't compete in a state tournament if it is a league's only representative in a division. I also can't imagine Pac-Five's turnout being worse than it was in 2018, when St. Francis existed and hurt Pac-Five's turnout.

It would be better to just have the state berths determined by record. Take the top 4 teams in the Open, the top 3 teams in the D1, and the top 3 teams in D2 (in this case the D2 state berths from Oahu expands to 3, Pac-5 or any third place OIA team can take the spot). Of the alliance is a merger between both the OIA and ILH, then the state berths shouldn't be given out separately. Just take the top teams, doesn't matter what league they are from. This would solve Pac 5's problem, and make the alliance a true merger. I don't think the OIA wants this, because it will likely reduce the amount of teams that qualify. Most of the time, in the Open, the second place ILH team is better than the third place OIA team, and would get the spot based on record, but it would be more fair.

It would probably be better to lock teams into a division for maybe 5 years, to see if they really belong there, than to keep having teams move from D1 to D2, and back, every couple of years. No long term stability.
Unfortunately, I think the OIA will do everything it can to block an all-ILH final, which could’ve easily happened in 2019 if the state tournament allowed more than one ILH team. Not only did we give St. Louis all they could handle that year, the OIA was super weak. Just look at that year’s title game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

MaxPreps released its preseason Top 100. Kahuku comes in at No. 50 . The Red Raiders are the only Hawaii team on the list. It will be tough to maintain that ranking playing No.1 St.John Bosco and No. 3 St. Frances Academy in a 13-day span this fall. Go Red Raiders.