Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Post by unpaid »

Radford travels to Anaheim,CA to play Magnolia HS on Friday September 2, 2022. The Sentinels are a public school program with an enrollment around 1,700. Their head coach is Vince Lobendahn,a veteran SoCal high school football coach. Son Toa played college ball for the USC Trojans.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:40 am The Third annual Trinity League vs. the USA showcase will feature a pair of top OIA programs according to Highschoolfootballamerica. The event begins Sept.16 with Mater Dei (Santa Ana) taking on Mililani. Sept 17 sees Kahuku playing St.John Bosco (Bellflower).

St.Louis will see Bishop Gorman visit for a game in the finale of their home and home series.

I expect extra anticipation and hype for the upcoming football season with games like these first half of the year.
Hey Felipe, any chance OC16 travel to Cali to pick up the Mililani/MD and Kahuku/Bosco game on Sept. 16/17??? Asking for high school football fanatics808.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/RedRaiderSoul/status/1543338331483676672 https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/1539400436884459520 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1539473933686124545
Last edited by kapakahi on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

It's interesting to see Konawaena going all the way up to Utah to play a mainland team, Granger High. That game is on August 12, which I believe is before Granger starts it's school year. From what I could find, their school district starts the year on August 18. So they will be hosting a game while it is still summer break for the students. I didn't realize a team could play before the school year starts. I hope their home attendance is good. I guess it's up to the district. I just found that interesting since Hawaii has the earliest start to the school year out of all 50 states, at least for public schools. In most states, the year starts in late August, or even closer to the Monday after Labor Day for some elementary and middle schools.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

All high school football teams begin practice for the fall season before the start of the school calendar year no matter what state.

My guess is that that Granger will have had enough practices to be able to qualify to play another schools’ team and the game would be sanctioned by Utah’s high school athletic governing body.

Just a guess.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:21 pm All high school football teams begin practice for the fall season before the start of the school calendar year no matter what state.

My guess is that that Granger will have had enough practices to be able to qualify to play another schools’ team and the game would be sanctioned by Utah’s high school athletic governing body.

Just a guess.
Yeah, all teams have practice before the school year starts. I didn't realize a team could play a game before school is in session, it seems kind of strange.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kamehameha has a home game on Friday August 12 with Warren high from Downey,CA. Downey will feature c/o 2023 five-star QB Nico Iamaleava who has committed to Tennessee.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Kahuku's Sept. 17th (Saturday) game at St. John Bosco is scheduled to be televised live on the Bally Sports SoCal channel (Spectrum 1228).

Watch from 27:00 mark on this Prep Zone CIF-Southern Section (SS) 2022 Football Preview. https://twitter.com/prepzone/status/1550532590741831680 https://twitter.com/CIFSS/status/1550572676267118592
Last edited by kapakahi on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

St. Louis vs. Bishop Gorman:
Live by the mercenary, die by the mercenary, but it really sucks when one you created turns on you.
All is fair in love, war, and HS football?!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

kapakahi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:49 pm
Kahuku's Sept. 17th (Saturday) game at St. John Bosco is scheduled to be televised live on the Bally Sports SoCal channel (Spectrum 1228).

Watch from 27:00 mark on this Prep Zone CIF-Southern Section (SS) 2022 Football Preview. https://twitter.com/prepzone/status/1550532590741831680 https://twitter.com/CIFSS/status/1550572676267118592
https://twitter.com/boscofootball/status/1569373833890787328 https://twitter.com/MDFootball/status/1569500580426518532 https://twitter.com/prepzone/status/1569442495016337408 https://twitter.com/boscofootball/status/1570080487439470594
Last edited by kapakahi on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Mililani @Mater Dei

Mater Dei has plenty of star power in QB Elijah Brown,OL DeAndre Carter,OL Brandon Baker,RB Jordan Davison,and LB Leviticus Sua. Despite some legal issues around a certain type of football drill,the school has maintained the coaching staff led by Bruce Rollinson. The Monarchs have 22 players rated 3 stars or more.Mililani has 1. That’s a wide disparity, 22-1.Talent plus coaching usually wins ,so I think Mater Dei wins it.

Kahuku@St.John Bosco

Expect to see QB Pierce Clarkson throwing to WRs Jahlil McClain and Zacharyus Williams.On defense,LB Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa teams up with edge-rusher Matayo Uiagalelei.Six of the Braves’ DBs have D-I college offers.26 players are rated as 3stars or more.Kahuku has 7,although only six will be available for the Red Raiders. 26-7 is also a wide disparity in talent,but I expect Kahuku will give more of a challenge to St.John Bosco than Mater Dei gets from Mililani.

Kahuku’s best chance will come if they can grind out yardage on the ground, limit SJB time of possession and maybe stay within striking distance late. That said, I think St.John Bosco wins out Saturday.

Kamehameha @Liberty

This could be the only opportunity a local school has to beat a mainland team this weekend.

The Patriots strength is in the trenches with DL A.J. Fuimaono and OL Ed Haynes. ATH Landon Bell does a little of everything. In recruiting star power Liberty is the leader 3-1. To me,that is significant. If you look at games where the team with fewer college recruits beats the team with more college recruits , the disparity is around 8 or fewer recruits.

Talentwise,Liberty is a much more even matchup for Kamehameha than the nightmare that Kahuku and Mililani are facing.
It is essential though that Kamehameha turns their offense around. So far this year they have reverted back to barely scoring like they did in the last few pre-covid years. The defense is OK, but the Warriors are going to have to score a bunch to win this one. I’m hoping the light comes on.

Kamehameha in a squeaker.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Was flipping through channels yesterday and came upon ESPN which was showing St. Frances Academy vs. Venice,FL.

Kahuku plays SFA in two weeks so I stopped and watched. On offense, SFA is happiest when they are running the football but they also got occasional chunk plays through the air. 300+ yards rushing in a 37-14 win over Venice. Sounds a lot like Kahuku’s offense in the Campbell game. SFA put multiple players in motion in the backfield to try and freeze up the Venice defense. Note that there was rain which may have played into the emphasis on running the football.

SFA mostly used a four man front and crowded the line of scrimmage sometimes with only three defenders in the backfield.
Had a penalty problem which led to one Venice TD. They got undisciplined once in a while.

Kahuku-St.Frances might be a ground game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:01 am Mililani @Mater Dei

Mater Dei has plenty of star power in QB Elijah Brown,OL DeAndre Carter,OL Brandon Baker,RB Jordan Davison,and LB Leviticus Sua. Despite some legal issues around a certain type of football drill,the school has maintained the coaching staff led by Bruce Rollinson. The Monarchs have 22 players rated 3 stars or more.Mililani has 1. That’s a wide disparity, 22-1.Talent plus coaching usually wins ,so I think Mater Dei wins it.

Kahuku@St.John Bosco

Expect to see QB Pierce Clarkson throwing to WRs Jahlil McClain and Zacharyus Williams.On defense,LB Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa teams up with edge-rusher Matayo Uiagalelei.Six of the Braves’ DBs have D-I college offers.26 players are rated as 3stars or more.Kahuku has 7,although only six will be available for the Red Raiders. 26-7 is also a wide disparity in talent,but I expect Kahuku will give more of a challenge to St.John Bosco than Mater Dei gets from Mililani.

Kahuku’s best chance will come if they can grind out yardage on the ground, limit SJB time of possession and maybe stay within striking distance late. That said, I think St.John Bosco wins out Saturday.

Kamehameha @Liberty

This could be the only opportunity a local school has to beat a mainland team this weekend.

The Patriots strength is in the trenches with DL A.J. Fuimaono and OL Ed Haynes. ATH Landon Bell does a little of everything. In recruiting star power Liberty is the leader 3-1. To me,that is significant. If you look at games where the team with fewer college recruits beats the team with more college recruits , the disparity is around 8 or fewer recruits.

Talentwise,Liberty is a much more even matchup for Kamehameha than the nightmare that Kahuku and Mililani are facing.
It is essential though that Kamehameha turns their offense around. So far this year they have reverted back to barely scoring like they did in the last few pre-covid years. The defense is OK, but the Warriors are going to have to score a bunch to win this one. I’m hoping the light comes on.

Kamehameha in a squeaker.
Interesting that you think Kamehameha will win. I don’t know enough about Liberty and the opponents they’ve played, but I also know they’ve got a strong history of beating Hawaii teams in their backyard. They beat a strong Mililani team in 2015 in Nevada. I think the game can go either way, but I’m leaning toward Liberty. I think Kamehameha is in a precarious spot, playing a non-conference road game between games against St. Louis and us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

gopunahou,

Liberty is still looking for their first win this this year. They have been playing teams Outside of Nevada and getting crushed like last week. They were beaten 45-8 by A Texas team last week. In terms of talent ,Liberty has three players who are D-I recruits and Kamehameha has one . Based on my experience, that’s not enough of an indication that Liberty is a lot much better than Kamehameha is. However Kamehameha needs to find offensive success comparable to last year to win.