Bobby Curran Needs Double Lung Transplant

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Bobby Curran Needs Double Lung Transplant

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/ESPNHonolulu/status/1524092544698658816 https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1524043107670523904

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Bobby Curran stepping away from UH FB broadcasts

Post by Shoko »

Love him or hate him, BC will always be a Hawaii sports icon. Enjoy your retirement, Bobby, and wish you good health for years to come.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Shoko wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:59 pm Love him or hate him, BC will always be a Hawaii sports icon. Enjoy your retirement, Bobby, and wish you good health for years to come.
He's not totally retiring, just not going to be doing the UH football broadcasts. Apparently he has altitude health issues. He still has his morning show. It's unclear from the article if he is going to continue with UH basketball.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I have followed Hawaii football these past 32 years. I have no memory of Curran, except for references posted in this forum. I don't mean to be mean. I'd like to see more people like Mighty Mouse promoting Hawaii football officially. Too many old-hats and institutional favorites get to speak for the program. Most of them suck. Jim Leahy was the absolute best. Kekaula...number two. Jim Donovan and Rick Bliangiardi were terrible. Was BC a good sportscaster? IDK. He certainly made an impression on SH fans, so maybe. Aloha, BC.

Fingers crossed for the upcoming season.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:32 am I have followed Hawaii football these past 32 years. I have no memory of Curran, except for references posted in this forum. I don't mean to be mean. I'd like to see more people like Mighty Mouse promoting Hawaii football officially. Too many old-hats and institutional favorites get to speak for the program. Most of them suck. Jim Leahy was the absolute best. Kekaula...number two. Jim Donovan and Rick Bliangiardi were terrible. Was BC a good sportscaster? IDK. He certainly made an impression on SH fans, so maybe. Aloha, BC.

I didn't think so. When I listened to the games, I often didn't know down and distance or what yard line the ball was on. As a play-by-play guy, that's his responsibility.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:35 am I didn't think so. When I listened to the games, I often didn't know down and distance or what yard line the ball was on. As a play-by-play guy, that's his responsibility.
That's a spot on review. There also is no yard gain and sometimes lost on the play. Maybe it's the job of the spotter but I always had to listen and read the play by play as it was streaming to get the picture in lieu of tv as in Spectrum. With that said, I would really like to see Kanoa Leahey get opportunities to do some national broadcasts of games for the Big West and when football goes national in Hawaii.

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

As I listened as an avid UH Football fan, BC could hold his own will all of PxPers in both leagues WAC/MWC. He always seem fair, not always but fair enough to say hey, we do kinda suck or hey we’re doing fabulously well.

Anyhow, his play-calling was slipping like amiss during the last three seasons and now we know the reasons behind it, high-altitudes related health concerns. Take care BC.

Now as for his replacement, this season and for seasons to come. It’s gonna be hard listening… anyone who listens remember that NV-Reno game, John had to step in for Bobby. Gosh that was the longest game of my listening career listening to UH broadcasting.

Let’s hope he goes through some PxP classes or training before that 🚂 💥 it’s a 🐩 🐴 show. :-?

roygbivs
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
MLB: Milwaukee, ATL
NBA: Boston [NHL:Vancouver]
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by roygbivs »

Irse wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:35 am
SundayJam wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:32 am I have followed Hawaii football these past 32 years. I have no memory of Curran, except for references posted in this forum. I don't mean to be mean. I'd like to see more people like Mighty Mouse promoting Hawaii football officially. Too many old-hats and institutional favorites get to speak for the program. Most of them suck. Jim Leahy was the absolute best. Kekaula...number two. Jim Donovan and Rick Bliangiardi were terrible. Was BC a good sportscaster? IDK. He certainly made an impression on SH fans, so maybe. Aloha, BC.

I didn't think so. When I listened to the games, I often didn't know down and distance or what yard line the ball was on. As a play-by-play guy, that's his responsibility.

I agree, he BC was losing it and something, timing was off, describing plays seem like it was on repeat, getting hard to listen to, wrong players…. etc .. it was time to step aside.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

If it's "health" issue, then that's sad, as we all will get old one day.

Going to miss hearing him, a familiar voice on the radio, especially pre and post game.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

If it doesn't work out with John Veneri, they should give Felipe Ojastro a shot. He does a decent job on OC16 and seems to have a knack for PBP and has put in the work.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Veneri is more of a color guy more so than play by play. Josh Pacheco is pretty good play by play guy for volleyball and basketball. Never heard him do football. Not advocating for the guy, but the ranks of radio play by play folks in Hawaii is pretty slim.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

uhwarriors

Re: Bobby Curran Needs Double Lung Transplant

Post by uhwarriors »

Play-by-play announcer and radio-show host Bobby Curran confirmed he needs a double-lung transplant to treat an aggressive stage of emphysema.

After consultation with doctors, the 67-year-old Curran is a candidate for the transplant surgery. Curran, who was play-by-play announcer of University of Hawaii football games for 32 years, said he is awaiting clearance from medical insurers before traveling to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., for seven days of tests.

After a review of his tests, Curran said, “they’ll make a decision on whether I’m a sufficient candidate. They’ll place me somewhere on their list depending on how they gauge the severity and immediacy.”

Curran said he is pursuing the surgery “because I was told about a week ago by a doctor that the double-lung transplant is my last, best chance. … If I get this transplant, and it’s successful, I’ll have a lot of good years left. I don’t have a lot of other problems.”

Curran, who was a long-time smoker before quitting about 17 years ago, has been diagnosed with emphysema, a potentially life-threatening ailment that leads to labored breathing and lung damage.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/06/ ... ransplant/

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Hope he's able to get the transplant.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Bobby Curran's announcement.
https://twitter.com/ESPNHonolulu/status/1537546022817132544

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

it’s easy to hate on bobby but you can only love his fight.