At least six Hawaii vs. mainland FB games in 2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Nick Abramo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

At least six Hawaii vs. mainland FB games in 2022

Post by Nick Abramo »

For anyone interested in reading about some mega football matchups involving Kahuku, Mililani, Saint Louis, Kamehameha and Punahou vs. mainland teams in 2022:

https://www.bedrocksportshawaii.com/meg ... -showcase/

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Re: At least six Hawaii vs. mainland FB games in 2022

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Mililani's scheduling makes me wonder if there will be an alliance this year between the OIA and ILH. They are playing 3 games against mainland teams. That doesn't leave much room for a full Alliance schedule, which is usually 9 games. There also hasn't been any schedule released, and games start in the first couple of weeks in August. I'd imagine teams want to know who they are playing, so they can prepare accordingly.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

I think York is biting-off more than he can chew. Mililani is the strongest challenger to Kahuku in OIA Open, and it looks like York wants to just run Mililani into the ground, which will make it even less likely that they'll be able to upset Kahuku.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:29 am Mililani's scheduling makes me wonder if there will be an alliance this year between the OIA and ILH. They are playing 3 games against mainland teams. That doesn't leave much room for a full Alliance schedule, which is usually 9 games. There also hasn't been any schedule released, and games start in the first couple of weeks in August. I'd imagine teams want to know who they are playing, so they can prepare accordingly.
I only saw two games against mainland opponents that Mililani is playing. If that’s the case, they can also manage to play an alliance schedule. The last time there was an alliance schedule, we played two games against non-Open teams.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou:

OK, you know that I don't care for Punahou School, but right now I think they can beat St Louis for the ILH Open title this coming season. Having said that, beating St Louis should be their ultimate goal. Let's say Punahou were to schedule two powerhouse mainland schools. Would that help or hurt Punahou's chances of beating St Louis? I think it would hurt their chances. The same is true, I think, for Mililani, in its quest to beat Kahuku. Scheduling two powerhouse mainland schools, I think, hurts their chances of upsetting Kahuku.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If I can see the Mater Dei-Mililani game in person, I will.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:06 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:29 am Mililani's scheduling makes me wonder if there will be an alliance this year between the OIA and ILH. They are playing 3 games against mainland teams. That doesn't leave much room for a full Alliance schedule, which is usually 9 games. There also hasn't been any schedule released, and games start in the first couple of weeks in August. I'd imagine teams want to know who they are playing, so they can prepare accordingly.
I only saw two games against mainland opponents that Mililani is playing. If that’s the case, they can also manage to play an alliance schedule. The last time there was an alliance schedule, we played two games against non-Open teams.
For some reason, I thought Mililani was playing Mission Viejo both home and away, now I see it's just a home game on August 19. I think they get blown out by Mater Dei, but can possibly win against Mission Viejo.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:06 pm
For some reason, I thought Mililani was playing Mission Viejo both home and away, now I see it's just a home game on August 19. I think they get blown out by Mater Dei, but can possibly win against Mission Viejo.
I can't believe Mission Viejo hasn't played Kahuku, being that there are connections between the two schools. I understand why Utah schools play Kahuku, though.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 pm
I can't believe Mission Viejo hasn't played Kahuku, being that there are connections between the two schools. I understand why Utah schools play Kahuku, though.
What's the connection between Mission Viejo and Kahuku? With Utah, there is a strong Mormon and Polynesian community there.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:19 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:13 pm

What's the connection between Mission Viejo and Kahuku? With Utah, there is a strong Mormon and Polynesian community there.
There've been Kahuku players whose brothers played at MV. I think MV might have some Kahuku graduates on their staff.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think playing home-and-home with a mainland team is impossible.