HS Hoops 2021-2022

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Hoops 2021-2022

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, I'm following the D1 soccer game, too. I hope the Warriors win.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:25 pm @gopunahou:

Well, not necessarily just because they were ILH opponents, right? Just so happened that those were three very strong schools, regardless of league affiliation. Assuming that St Louis wins tonight, the only opportunity I can think of that Mililani has for revenge, is in swimming. But, they probably won't win the State title; your alma mater probably will. But, I'm pretty sure Mililani will finish ahead of St Louis, in any case. I mean, that's not as good as a State basketball title, but it beats having nothing at all.
Mililani also lost to Punahou in last nights girls soccer semifinal, 2-0. So two playoff losses in two sports, although you could also say reaching the state semifinal, and state final is a pretty successful season in any sport.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:16 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Kamehameha just won 1-0. They got quite lucky, Punahou missed a potential game winning penalty kick in the final minute of regulation. Had they scored on the kick, they would have won on the last shot of the game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Surprising that St. Louis has never won a high-level FB state championship the same year as a state championship in BB. They've only won two state championships in BB since 1968--with their previous one (1986) coming in a year they DIDN'T win a Prep Bowl.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:11 pm

Kamehameha just won 1-0. They got quite lucky, Punahou missed a potential game winning penalty kick in the final minute of regulation. Had they scored on the kick, they would have won on the last shot of the game.
@ChadFukuoka:

I agree. The soccer gods were smiling on the Warriors last night.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:17 am Surprising that St. Louis has never won a high-level FB state championship the same year as a state championship in BB. They've only won two state championships in BB since 1968--with their previous one (1986) coming in a year they DIDN'T win a Prep Bowl.
@gopunahou:

Well, there's not really a connection between the two sports, right? If a school wins both a State football title and a State basketball title, I'd say that that's coincidence.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:02 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:11 pm

@ChadFukuoka:

I agree. The soccer gods were smiling on the Warriors last night.
I found-out just tonight that one of Kamehameha's top players--Leila Kahoano--was out for half-an-hour during the first half due to an injury. If she hadn't suffered that injury and was playing all that time, perhaps the Warriors might have been able to tack-on a goal during that half. In other words, the game may have been so close because the Warriors were victimized by an injury, and not because they were the lesser team but just got lucky.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:04 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:17 am Surprising that St. Louis has never won a high-level FB state championship the same year as a state championship in BB. They've only won two state championships in BB since 1968--with their previous one (1986) coming in a year they DIDN'T win a Prep Bowl.
@gopunahou:

Well, there's not really a connection between the two sports, right? If a school wins both a State football title and a State basketball title, I'd say that that's coincidence.
The only connection might be if an athlete or athletes are on both the football and basketball teams. With basketball, there's only 5 players on each team on the court, so a star player has a huge influence in that sport. It also depends on how the athletic teams operate. If a player is encouraged to stick to one sport, and train and condition for that sport in the off season, or if the coaches are okay with them playing another sport in the off season. It might vary by school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

All of that is true, but as an old guy, I'm assuming what the alumni are probably thinking. For team members of high school sports teams, yes, it's fair to assume that each player is wrapped-up in his or her own sport. What I'm saying is that I would think the alumni are taking a much broader perspective, looking at more than just one or even only a few sports.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

No one has posted here in over 4 months, but this post isn't about regular high school basketball; it's about Friday Night Prime Time. That's a program in which students with disabilities represent their school by playing basketball. There's a feature about it on ScoringLive that covered two games: Kaiser vs Kalani, and Kaimuki vs Pearl City. Each school had jerseys exclusive to the program (they didn't use the jerseys of the regular girls' or boy's teams that play in the OIA). Each team was coed, and players could use any shorts or pants they wanted. On the bottom row of photos, though, there was a shot of a Pearl City girl who was wearing bright-red shorts along with the purple Pearl City jersey. I was thinking, "Whoa, girl, your school's colors are purple and white; might have been better to use white or black or gray shorts, perhaps." (Kind of hard to find purple shorts.) It was kind of surreal to see her wearing a purple Pearl City jersey along with bright-red shorts. Plus, she had her jersey tucked-in under her shorts, so the purple/red combo was even more prominent. Like, what's wrong with this picture? Kind of jarring. But, no biggie. It was apparently a night all about fun. There even were people in the bleachers cheering the schools.

The games were at Kalani's gym. Gotta give the Kalani cheerleaders credit for being there, too, cheering their school on.