Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Post by unpaid »

The Third annual Trinity League vs. the USA showcase will feature a pair of top OIA programs according to Highschoolfootballamerica. The event begins Sept.16 with Mater Dei (Santa Ana) taking on Mililani. Sept 17 sees Kahuku playing St.John Bosco (Bellflower).

St.Louis will see Bishop Gorman visit for a game in the finale of their home and home series.

I expect extra anticipation and hype for the upcoming football season with games like these first half of the year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Mainland vs. Hawaii banner year in 2022.

Post by gopunahou »

Intriguing that an Iolani grad will face a Mater Dei grad coaching-wise. One concern for Mililani is that Mater Dei might have the best junior-to-be QB in the country.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:02 am Intriguing that an Iolani grad will face a Mater Dei grad coaching-wise. One concern for Mililani is that Mater Dei might have the best junior-to-be QB in the country.
Does Punahou have any plans to schedule mainland teams in the future? Are they playing anyone out of state this year?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Punahou might as well schedule OIA Open Schools like Kahuku. They way they kicked St Louis' butts last year, they'd present about as much of a challenge as most mainland schools, and Punahou won't see them unless and until they make States anyway. It's a lot less of a hassle than trying to iron-out all the logistics and expenses of scheduling a mainland school. And, schools want to minimize air travel, as we're still in a pandemic. The BA.2 variant has now become the dominant strain, and schools would best avoid long flights to/from the mainland.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

A fourth mainland powerhouse is playing a Hawaii school this year.

St.Francis Academy out of Baltimore, Maryland is flying in to play Kahuku on Friday,September 30. SFA finished No.5 in the country in MaxPreps Top 100 rank last fall. It’s on their Twitter , and the game takes up a thread in the forums on nationalhsfb.com. Kahuku has St.John Bosco and St.Francis Academy to play.Red Raiders get my vote for local school with the toughest football schedule for 2022.

This might be the most nationally ranked teams playing local schools in one season that I can remember. Mater Dei is probably gonna be MaxPreps 2022 preseason No.1. St. John Bosco finished No.8 last year and probably could be preseason Top 10 like I expect St.Francis will be also. I think Bishop Gorman finished No.15 in the country. Probably will be no lower than 15 in preseason too.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

You know, Kahuku plans to take-on all these national powerhouse schools. I hope they're taking into account that one of the reasons those schools are national powerhouses is that they tend to be big and physical, which will take its toll on Kahuku. Yes, Kahuku is big and physical, too, but you don't want to incur injuries that you probably wouldn't have incurred had you not taken-on national powerhouse schools. Oahu Open schools like Mililani (especially), St Louis, and Punahou, I'm sure would be more than happy to see Kahuku's starters get injured. Not because they're sadists, but because Kahuku would then be easier to beat. I mean, Kahuku can schedule whomever they want, but they need to be wary of the possibility of injuries. Those powerhouse mainland schools do nothing record-wise for Kahuku in terms of taking the OIA Open title or State Open title. If Kahuku suffers enough injuries to starters, Mililani might be able to beat them for the OIA Open title. And then, even if Kahuku makes States, they'd also be easier for the ILH Open champ to beat. I mean, whatever. If Kahuku's HC thinks the risk is worth it, well, who am I to tell him no? But, I wonder what Kahuku alumni are thinking.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

This is what I think.Why have sports at all if anyone can be injured? You know injuries happen all the time whether you play someone from down the road or some team from another state. It’s competition HS Football Fanatic.When teams get to the top in their state...what is left? Of course...can we matchup well and beat other champions from other states?
That’s all that Kahuku,St.Louis,and Mililani are trying to do. Why do you think Mater Dei,St.John Bosco, Bishop Gorman,and St Francis play five teams from out of their home states. Might be they became dominant in their state and had to go out of their borders to find someone who could whip them. Human nature.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Well, obviously, players can get injured playing even the weakest school. What I'm saying is that you increase your chances of getting injured if you're playing a national powerhouse school. If we were talking about a sport like, say, baseball, then no. But, we're talking about football, which we know is a violent contact sport. As I've shared in previous posts over the years, I for one simply don't care about out-of-state schools; I don't care how good they are. Speaking just for myself, all that really matters is the State title. You ask, "When teams get to the top in their state...what is left?" My answer is: Nothing. There's no high school national championship. So: If Kahuku High wants to stroke its ego and say, "We beat national powerhouses", well, I guess that's up to them. But obviously, any school's primary goal is to win the State title. If you play national powerhouse schools with big, physical players, I say you increase your chances of injury to your starters, which reduces your chances of winning the State title. When you play a national powerhouse school, it's not likely you'll be able to secure a lead big enough to put-in your reserves; you'll probably have to play your first string for almost the entire game. The longer your starters are on the field, the more likely it is that they'll be injured, especially against national powerhouse schools with big, powerful players. If Mater Dei, St John Bosco, Bishop Gorman, and St Francis find it "necessary" to "go out of their borders to find someone who could whip them", what I say to that is: Well, that's their problem. Perhaps they need to learn to contain their egos. What I'm suggesting is that a State title suffices, seeing as there's no national title anyway.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:59 pm @unpaid:

Well, obviously, players can get injured playing even the weakest school. What I'm saying is that you increase your chances of getting injured if you're playing a national powerhouse school. If we were talking about a sport like, say, baseball, then no. But, we're talking about football, which we know is a violent contact sport. As I've shared in previous posts over the years, I for one simply don't care about out-of-state schools; I don't care how good they are. Speaking just for myself, all that really matters is the State title. You ask, "When teams get to the top in their state...what is left?" My answer is: Nothing. There's no high school national championship. So: If Kahuku High wants to stroke its ego and say, "We beat national powerhouses", well, I guess that's up to them. But obviously, any school's primary goal is to win the State title. If you play national powerhouse schools with big, physical players, I say you increase your chances of injury to your starters, which reduces your chances of winning the State title. When you play a national powerhouse school, it's not likely you'll be able to secure a lead big enough to put-in your reserves; you'll probably have to play your first string for almost the entire game. The longer your starters are on the field, the more likely it is that they'll be injured, especially against national powerhouse schools with big, powerful players. If Mater Dei, St John Bosco, Bishop Gorman, and St Francis find it "necessary" to "go out of their borders to find someone who could whip them", what I say to that is: Well, that's their problem. Perhaps they need to learn to contain their egos. What I'm suggesting is that a State title suffices, seeing as there's no national title anyway.
It could also be for recruiting purposes. These mainland teams are all nationally known. They receive a lot of media attention and scouting attention. So if some of the players from Kahuku, St Louis, or Mililani have a good game against their opponent, that game film will be seen by lots of mainland scouts. That improves the player's chances of receiving college offers, since they showed they could match up well against elite out of state competition.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I would suggest that Priority One is winning the State title. If a player is really outstanding, it'll get around. Besides, there are college scouts here, anyway. If colleges wish to shun good players just because their schools didn't play national powerhouses, well, that's up to them. Whichever colleges those kids do end-up at, will benefit for sure.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I am trying to picture in my mind St.Louis and Kahuku sitting on those stacks of Koa trophies they have and imagine them being satisfied and not wishing to ever try themselves against the best in other states. Nope,can’t picture it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Well, notice that you said koa trophies; those are Hawaiian trophies. Those are the only trophies available to Oahu football teams, and that's part of my point. There's no national championship trophy. If Kahuku and St Louis play those national powerhouses, they'll have nothing to show for it as far as getting to States is concerned. All they would get from playing those powerhouses are feathers in their caps, and that's if they win. If they get their butts kicked, all they'd get is embarrassment. Worse, they might suffer injuries to their starters because: 1.) Those national powerhouses are usually big and physical; Kahuku's and St Louis' starters are more likely to suffer injury. 2.) Because those powerhouses are so tough, it's very unlikely that Kahuku and St Louis would be able to pull their starters. Therefore, those starters will likely be in for almost the entire game, which increases their likelihood of injury. Obviously, that would lessen their school's chances of winning the State Open title.

Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but if I were a Kahuku alumnus or St Louis alumnus, I'd tell those national powerhouses to kiss my alma mater's butt. Like, I don't care how good you are; all I care about is Hawaii high school ball. I don't even live in your states.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There’s nothing wrong with our kids playing football against mainland teams. They’re just kids,too. Punahou beat Long Beach Poly a few years ago. The same year local schools went on a 11-0 run against out of state teams at one point. Why be an isolationist?

It’s about academics as well as sport. McKinley sends a robotics team to mainland high school competitions and wins prizes every so often.Nothing wrong with that.

Iolani is going to keep it’s basketball Classic going,St.Louis and Kahuku are going to keep scheduling mainland football schools,local athletes are going to keep going on travel squads for basketball,baseball,and the list goes on and on. You should try to not let this upset you.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:

Oh, it doesn't upset me at all. Was just expressing an opinion. If schools here want to take-on mainland powerhouses, have at it. What am I going to do about it? Also, I didn't say there was anything wrong with playing mainland teams; all I said was that when you play the powerhouses, it's more likely that your starters will suffer injury, simply because those powerhouses tend to be big and physical. How does that help you win the State Open title?

Also, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with isolationism. The US was isolationist at least twice during the past century; that isolationism helped keep us out of wars for a longer period of time.

As for the Iolani Classic, at least there's a trophy to shoot for. When an Oahu football team plays a mainland powerhouse, there's no trophy; it's not even a tournament. It's simply one exhibition game. Also, basketball isn't as physical and violent as football; it's very unlikely a basketball team will suffer injury, no matter which school it plays. It's not a heavy-contact sport. In that sense, comparing basketball to football is to compare apples to oranges.

What I do know is that if I were a Kahuku alumnus or St Louis alumnus, I'd be awfully pissed if the team lost a starter or two (or, more) to injury after playing one of those big, physical mainland powerhouse teams, and the loss of that player or those players figured-into losing the State Open championship. And, what if Kahuku or St Louis lost to that mainland powerhouse, on top of that? Then, what was it all for in the first place?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

You’ve expressed your opinion about how Hawaii schools shouldn’t risk injury against mainland schools because it could hurt them in state tournaments in just about every thread you’ve been in on this forum. That’s your opinion,but when you make a point of it all the time in every thread....Maybe you should stop being a downer on every post that involves a Hawaii vs. mainland schools athletic contest. Give it a rest.