OIA musical chairs

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

OIA musical chairs

Post by unpaid »

Just went through Bedrocksportshawaii site.Nick Abramo wrote about schools moving between divisions for fall football.

Farrington to D-I from Open. Governors apparently agreed to drop down.

Moanalua to Open from D-I.Dunno about this. Think it should have been Aiea.

Radford to D-I from D-II. As a Radford alum,I’ll take it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: OIA musical chairs

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@unpaid:

Farrington alumni must consider the move down as something sucky, but it probably had to happen. Farrington has been getting beat-up in Open long enough.

Moanalua moving to Open is absolutely insane. They're going to get their butts kicked, big-time. The same would happen to Aiea if they had moved-up.

Really, I'm not sure Radford should have moved-up to D1. The question for Radford alumni is this: Is it better to have a decent showing in a lower division, or is it better to take the chance of getting beat-up in a higher division? No one likes to see his alma mater lose. It sucks, and it's deflating.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:24 am @unpaid:

Farrington alumni must consider the move down as something sucky, but it probably had to happen. Farrington has been getting beat-up in Open long enough.

Moanalua moving to Open is absolutely insane. They're going to get their butts kicked, big-time. The same would happen to Aiea if they had moved-up.

Really, I'm not sure Radford should have moved-up to D1. The question for Radford alumni is this: Is it better to have a decent showing in a lower division, or is it better to take the chance of getting beat-up in a higher division? No one likes to see his alma mater lose. It sucks, and it's deflating.
It's an OIA rule. The last place team in the Open and the first place team in D1, based on regular season records, makes the switch. Unless the last place Open team chooses not to move down, then no change happens. I guess it's kind of like in international soccer leagues, where teams are promoted and relegated based on league standings from one league to another.

In the ILH, I wonder what PAC-5's plans are? They are the only team in D2, and that makes them ineligible for states. It's a rule that there needs to be more than one team in a division for that league to have a state berth.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Leilehua can tell Moanalua what the first year in the Open will be like. When Farrington told the OIA they would move down, someone from D-I had to move up.Seems like Moanalua got picked because they had the best regular season record.Moanalua HC looks at it as an opportunity. Aiea beat Moanalua in the OIA playoffs. To me,Aiea has more big,physical players that a team needs in the Open.Lots of those guys are underclassmen. Aiea’s QB has D-I potential and he has two more years left.Aiea would fare better in my mind than Moanalua will this fall. At any rate,one of those teams was going to have to move up once the Govs dropped down to D-I.

I’m OK with Radford moving up.What usually happens to Radford Is they get a strong class of seniors who have championship or second place league finish,then get bumped up to D-I. Problem is those seniors aren’t around for the D-I season and the Rams go ofer.Radford has a majority of starters from last year coming back.so I feel better about their chances in D-I this time around in the fall .

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:31 am

It's an OIA rule. The last place team in the Open and the first place team in D1, based on regular season records, makes the switch. Unless the last place Open team chooses not to move down, then no change happens. I guess it's kind of like in international soccer leagues, where teams are promoted and relegated based on league standings from one league to another.

In the ILH, I wonder what PAC-5's plans are? They are the only team in D2, and that makes them ineligible for states. It's a rule that there needs to be more than one team in a division for that league to have a state berth.
@ChadFukuoka:

Moanalua should have said, "No, thanks". I have to believe Moanalua alumni don't want to see their alma mater turned into gruesome roadkill by the likes of Kahuku and Mililani. As for Farrington, I think they made the right decision. Farrington alumni need to swallow their pride and accept that, for now, D1 is where Farrington belongs. What sucks about it is that Farrington has an Open-size O-line every year, but Open is so tough that that's not enough.

I almost feel sorry for Pac-Five. Back in the '80s, they were the Kahuku (or, St Louis) of high school football here on Oahu. They don't exactly suck right now, but they're definitely not strong enough for Open. I do think they can handle D1, though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:48 am Leilehua can tell Moanalua what the first year in the Open will be like. When Farrington told the OIA they would move down, someone from D-I had to move up.Seems like Moanalua got picked because they had the best regular season record.Moanalua HC looks at it as an opportunity. Aiea beat Moanalua in the OIA playoffs. To me,Aiea has more big,physical players that a team needs in the Open.Lots of those guys are underclassmen. Aiea’s QB has D-I potential and he has two more years left.Aiea would fare better in my mind than Moanalua will this fall. At any rate,one of those teams was going to have to move up once the Govs dropped down to D-I.

I’m OK with Radford moving up.What usually happens to Radford Is they get a strong class of seniors who have championship or second place league finish,then get bumped up to D-I. Problem is those seniors aren’t around for the D-I season and the Rams go ofer.Radford has a majority of starters from last year coming back.so I feel better about their chances in D-I this time around in the fall .
@unpaid:

Well, yeah, I would agree that Aiea is usually bigger on the line (especially on the O-line) than Moanalua. Actually, Moanalua has had decent size on the O-line for the past two or three seasons, when they rarely did before. Schools need to be careful about seeing a promotion to a higher division as an "opportunity". Moanalua will be like chum in the water for Great White sharks. I mean, it's an opportunity only if you have the size and the talent. Ask Farrington what happens when you have the size, but not the talent. In Moanalua's case, the script might be reversed: They might have the talent, but not the size.

As I think back over the past four decades and more, in my mind Aiea and Radford were about the same, though Radford was usually a little better. I recall Radford had two good years: '76 and '81. They made Prep Bowl both years. But, fast-forwarding to the present, yeah, I guess Radford can handle D1. I mean, they're not as weak as schools like McKinley and Waialua.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:33 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:31 am

@ChadFukuoka:

Moanalua should have said, "No, thanks". I have to believe Moanalua alumni don't want to see their alma mater turned into gruesome roadkill by the likes of Kahuku and Mililani. As for Farrington, I think they made the right decision. Farrington alumni need to swallow their pride and accept that, for now, D1 is where Farrington belongs. What sucks about it is that Farrington has an Open-size O-line every year, but Open is so tough that that's not enough.

I almost feel sorry for Pac-Five. Back in the '80s, they were the Kahuku (or, St Louis) of high school football here on Oahu. They don't exactly suck right now, but they're definitely not strong enough for Open. I do think they can handle D1, though.
I also wonder if PAC-5 will have enough players for a full team in the future. Mid Pac is planning to leave being a part of them after next year. That will not only give them less players, but they won't be able to use Mid Pac's football field anymore.

It would be ambitious, but if Mid Pac wanted to start their own football team, and play at the D2 level, it would provide a natural rival for PAC-5, and allow both teams to be eligible for states, since the ILH D2 would have 2 teams.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:
Something tells me Pac-Five will always have enough players because they have so many small private schools to draw from; more than existed when I was in high school in the mid-'70s. (Pac-Five was their original name from '75, as there were 5 small private schools contributing to the team. This was after they had evolved from the Hummers. While they've added newer small private schools over the decades, they kept the "Pac-Five" name.) And, if I'm not mistaken, Mid-Pac may have already left their football team, because as far as I know, Pac-Five already no longer uses Mid-Pac's field.

I doubt that Mid-Pac will attempt to start their own football team. They never had enough players, and I'm sure there would be even fewer players available to them because so many new small private schools have come into existence over the past 40 years; each of those schools competes with Mid-Pac for students. And, as mentioned above, Pac-Five is already drawing players from those schools.