Road Warriors

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Road Warriors

Post by poidog »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 pm Regarding lights, other people have said that playing night games at Punahou or Iolani would upset nearby residents. One issue I've got with that sentiment is that why has Castle managed to make night games work (despite having many people live nearby)?
even at Kalani HS, the unofficial word when I was there 25 years ago was that we couldn't put in lights because the neighborhood had fought the idea. I don't think we had enough room for proper bleachers, but the AD at the time told us that we weren't allowed to put in proper lights for night football. I think whether or not certain schools have lights or not depends on if they put in lights quickly enough before people had a chance to complain, or if the neighborhood values night time events more than the impact of lights. In my Kalani example, it is likely that most of the children of the residents who live closest to the school (Kalani Iki Valley and properties adjacent to Waialae Country Club) attend private school and not Kalani, so their parents don't give a crap about the benefit of having on-campus lights.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

poidog wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:12 am
gopunahou wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 pm Regarding lights, other people have said that playing night games at Punahou or Iolani would upset nearby residents. One issue I've got with that sentiment is that why has Castle managed to make night games work (despite having many people live nearby)?
even at Kalani HS, the unofficial word when I was there 25 years ago was that we couldn't put in lights because the neighborhood had fought the idea. I don't think we had enough room for proper bleachers, but the AD at the time told us that we weren't allowed to put in proper lights for night football. I think whether or not certain schools have lights or not depends on if they put in lights quickly enough before people had a chance to complain, or if the neighborhood values night time events more than the impact of lights. In my Kalani example, it is likely that most of the children of the residents who live closest to the school (Kalani Iki Valley and properties adjacent to Waialae Country Club) attend private school and not Kalani, so their parents don't give a crap about the benefit of having on-campus lights.

It seems like the schools on the east half of the island seem to have more problems with lights. Most of the private schools are located on that part of the island as well. So maybe a lot of parents are sending their kids to schools outside of the neighborhood/district they live in.

I can’t think of a school on the west/central part of the island that has a problem with lights. Radford, Moanalua, Aiea, Pearl City, Mililani, Leilehua, Kahuku, Campbell, Waipahu, Kapolei all have lights. I’m assuming there’s nearby housing next to all of those fields.

So maybe it’s a cultural thing, with parents on the east/south side of the island being closer to private school areas/or are richer since they live in wealthier communities.

I grew up in Mililani and live in Aiea, and attended public school all throughout K-12. The majority of my classmates did too. A few got scholarships to Kamehameha, Iolani, but I didn’t have any close friends or casual friends whose parents could fully pay private school tuition without any assistance.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
MLB: none
NBA: none
NFL: none

Post by XLT1000 »

gopunahou wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:37 pm With or without Aloha Stadium, most of the interleague games would occur at OIA fields. Aloha Stadium would've hosted the big ones (Kahuku and Mililani vs. St. Louis and Punahou).
July 2021. So they did close down Aloha Stadium. Confirmation. Wow. I've been reading on this for awhile. 2023 is the expected date. But....? I still don't know. :hello1:

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by XLT1000 »

It was mentioned that NASED new Aloha stadium entertainment district is to be the site of affordable housing along with the new stadium built. 2023. But that remains to be seen. University of Hawai'i athletics do not have the funding for a $300 million dollar stadium. So Ching Field is in use. How long more at Ching Field? I don't know. What is certain is though the financial situation at Manoa is dependent on two factors, ticket sales, and public funds. Like us. Who's going to fund something into UH athletics. This is almost certain.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@XLT1000:

As a UH alumnus, I think Ching Field is a disgrace. It's too small for a D1 football school. UH has to find a way to increase seating.

XLT1000
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by XLT1000 »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 am I’ve been taking a closer look at the football schedules and gamesites. St.Louis ,no stadium, is on the road for every game.Disadvantage STL,but they can probably overcome it. Kahuku is getting their field worked on ,so they are on the road all year too. Disadvantage Kahuku,but they can overcome it. The Kahuku-St.Louis game is being played at Mililani. Advantage Mililani, you know the Trojan coaches and kids will scout that game.Punahou ,stadium no lights, is playing all but one of its games on the road. The one game they want home cooking on at 3 pm is ,surprise.....St.Louis. Kamehameha ,even with a stadium and lights,is only playing Punahou at home. The St.Louis game will be at Skippa Diaz on the Farrington campus. What’s up with Kamehameha when they are only playing one game at home. Is something wrong with the field?

This has the potential to wear on the ILH schools for years to come if they can’t come up with a facility to replace what the venue at Aloha stadium gave them.
They can. One more year at Manoa. But they'll have to work around the schedule at UH football. On the Friday or Saturday. And it's not free. They must rent it out. Someone is really paying for the lights and cleaning up on the Ching Field.