Eti Ena new Dline Coach at New Mexico St

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: DT Coach Eti Ena (from Eastern Washington)

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:26 am
SundayJam wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:21 pm
Defensive Line 6'4" 240 lbs: O'tay Baker Senior Mesquite, Texas Mesquite HS Tyler Junior College

Defensive Line 6'2" 235 lbs: Tariq Jones Redshirt Freshman New Orleans, La. McDonogh 35 HS

Defensive Lineman 6'1" 245 lbs: Ezra Evaimalo Sophomore Wai'anae, O’ahu Kamehameha Schools- Kapalama

Defensive Line 6'1" 300 lbs: Blessman Ta’ala Senior Aua, American Samoa Faga’itua HS

Defensive Line 6'3" 230 lbs: Mark Blocker II Junior Los Angeles, Calif. Lawndale HS

Defensive Line 6'1" 230 lbs: Andrew Choi Senior Honolulu, O‘ahu Kaiser HS

Defensive Lineman 6'4" 300 lbs: John Tuitupou Senior Vaitogi, American Samoa Kalaheo HS East Los Angeles College

Defensive Line 6'3" 240 lbs: Zach Ritner Senior Mission Viejo, Calif. Capistrano Valley HS
https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... t=position

The DL looks pretty good to me. With Blessman returning as the anchor, the rest will sort itself out, especially with a good position coach. Welcome, Coach Ena!
Returning just two (2) DL (Ta'ala & maybe Tuitupou) weighing at least 250 lbs [after losing six (6) stalworths (Kapoi, Matthews, McKinney, Laulu, Tavai, Tonga) who all weighed at least 270 lbs] while adding only true frosh DL (Briski & Finau) doesn't bode well for the DL to effectively defend against the run this coming season (especially against Michigan, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah State & Wyoming)....which is why Timmy is still proactively attempting to secure interior DL transfers (either JC and/or portal) who Coach Ena can prepare to get ready to contribute immediately this coming season.
Agreed. We'll be hurting on the D Line if we don't get some big bodies in here.
ImageImage

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:26 am
SundayJam wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:21 pm
Defensive Line 6'4" 240 lbs: O'tay Baker Senior Mesquite, Texas Mesquite HS Tyler Junior College

Defensive Line 6'2" 235 lbs: Tariq Jones Redshirt Freshman New Orleans, La. McDonogh 35 HS

Defensive Lineman 6'1" 245 lbs: Ezra Evaimalo Sophomore Wai'anae, O’ahu Kamehameha Schools- Kapalama

Defensive Line 6'1" 300 lbs: Blessman Ta’ala Senior Aua, American Samoa Faga’itua HS

Defensive Line 6'3" 230 lbs: Mark Blocker II Junior Los Angeles, Calif. Lawndale HS

Defensive Line 6'1" 230 lbs: Andrew Choi Senior Honolulu, O‘ahu Kaiser HS

Defensive Lineman 6'4" 300 lbs: John Tuitupou Senior Vaitogi, American Samoa Kalaheo HS East Los Angeles College

Defensive Line 6'3" 240 lbs: Zach Ritner Senior Mission Viejo, Calif. Capistrano Valley HS
https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... t=position

The DL looks pretty good to me. With Blessman returning as the anchor, the rest will sort itself out, especially with a good position coach. Welcome, Coach Ena!
Returning just two (2) DL (Ta'ala & maybe Tuitupou) weighing at least 250 lbs [after losing six (6) stalworths (Kapoi, Matthews, McKinney, Laulu, Tavai, Tonga) who all weighed at least 270 lbs] while adding only true frosh DL (Briski & Finau) doesn't bode well for the DL to effectively defend against the run this coming season (especially against Michigan, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah State & Wyoming)....which is why Timmy is still proactively attempting to secure interior DL transfers (either JC and/or portal) who Coach Ena can prepare to get ready to contribute immediately this coming season.
Ta'ase played DT...he's huge and we need him more on DL than OL. Briski needs to starting eating more ulu now. Mauasau could be a solid DT at 6 ft 340. Could we be moving to a 3-4 bc there's tons of LBs?
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

after losing six (6) stalworths (Kapoi, Matthews, McKinney, Laulu, Tavai, Tonga) who all weighed at least 270 lbs
As far as I can tell--Kapoi,Tonga and McKinney didn't make much of an impact. So, the stalwarts you speak of are Mathews, Laulu, and Tavai. Yeah, we could always use more beef at nose guard. Still, it is exciting to get an experienced coach to develop this crew. Was the last DL coach so terrible? IDK...I think our defense was pretty good. I hope those waiting for their turn to hold the line are finally ready. I am hopeful that those who had to wait behind the chosen few get their chance to shine. Imua.

Shoko
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Shoko »

I think TC should re-evaluate the training table, if he hasn't already, and ensure it's sufficient in feeding these guys so they not only put on weight but are able to maintain it, which was a problem with the last coaching staff based on what I've been hearing.

In terms of improvement in run defense, I don't expect them to dominate against a P5 program who has an obvious recruiting advantage but at the very least be able to hold the line against teams in the same conference that have a strong running game. A lot of games are won in the trenches so developing a strong line on both sides should be just as important as finding that next QB, in my opinion.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 am
after losing six (6) stalworths (Kapoi, Matthews, McKinney, Laulu, Tavai, Tonga) who all weighed at least 270 lbs
As far as I can tell--Kapoi,Tonga and McKinney didn't make much of an impact. So, the stalwarts you speak of are Mathews, Laulu, and Tavai. Yeah, we could always use more beef at nose guard. Still, it is exciting to get an experienced coach to develop this crew. Was the last DL coach so terrible? IDK...I think our defense was pretty good. I hope those waiting for their turn to hold the line are finally ready. I am hopeful that those who had to wait behind the chosen few get their chance to shine. Imua.
I agree with Kapoi. McKinney had more roughing the passer penalties than sacks. Tonga is play a big role until he got hurt. I like the fact that we will have an experienced D Line coach if he truly is hired. No official news yet.
ImageImage

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

Move Sotelo back to DL?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:57 am
SundayJam wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 am
I agree with Kapoi. McKinney had more roughing the passer penalties than sacks. Tonga is play a big role until he got hurt. I like the fact that we will have an experienced D Line coach if he truly is hired. No official news yet.
Agree about Tonga. I thought he really helped us on the inside. Wish he had one more year.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

RedZone wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:55 pm
Irse wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:57 am
SundayJam wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 am As far as I can tell--Kapoi, Tonga and McKinney didn't make much of an impact. So, the stalwarts you speak of are Mathews, Laulu, and Tavai. Yeah, we could always use more beef at nose guard. Still, it is exciting to get an experienced coach to develop this crew. Was the last DL coach so terrible? IDK...I think our defense was pretty good. I hope those waiting for their turn to hold the line are finally ready. I am hopeful that those who had to wait behind the chosen few get their chance to shine. Imua.
I agree with Kapoi. McKinney had more roughing the passer penalties than sacks. Tonga played a big role until he got hurt. I like the fact that we will have an experienced D Line coach if he truly is hired. No official news yet.
Agree about Tonga. I thought he really helped us on the inside. Wish he had one more year.
If Tuitupou returns, then the depth at nose guard should actually be sufficient (barring injury) IF Cal Poly transfer commit Jojo Falo joins the team and/or Foi Shaw can elevate his game....although could maybe still add a nose guard....more so to add depth for future seasons (since Ta'ala & Tuitupou will be seniors).

The immediate DL recruiting need position is the 3-technique DT (aligned in the B-gap in a 4-man front) / 4-technique DE (aligned directly head-up across the OT in a 3-man front). Losing Tonga (who could play the NG as well as the 3-tech DT/4-tech DE positions) along with Tavai & Matthews (as well as Kapoi & McKinney) leaves UH without any 3-tech DTs/4-tech DEs on the current Spring roster. Incoming frosh Malachi Finau is a 3-tech DT/4-tech DE but may not be ready to play immediately during his true frosh season. Open scholarship offers to 3-tech DT/4-tech DE transfer prospects (Myles Cecil from Cal Poly and to Taylor Lewis from College of the Canyons) will hopefully remedy this DL deficiency.

Even with an experienced DL Coach, will still need all the DL position players on the roster this coming season....so can coach proper alignments & assignments for different fronts....for optimal player development and improvement.
Nisei wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:47 pm Move Sotelo back to DL?
Sotelo would probably be a 3-tech DT/4-tech DE candidate if he moved back to DL.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Finally official.
. https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1497364261135269890

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Welcome coach Ena and Clapham.
The article also says “The coaching staff is nearly complete” what position or support staff does Timmy have left to fill?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ulua wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:09 pm Welcome coach Ena and Clapham.
The article also says “The coaching staff is nearly complete” what position or support staff does Timmy have left to fill?
Still need a wide receivers coach. Unless Timmy wants or has to coach them as well.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:21 pm
Still need a wide receivers coach. Unless Timmy wants or has to coach them as well.
Still vacant are WR coach and probably 2 GA positions.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:23 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:21 pm
Still vacant are WR coach and probably 2 GA positions.
Thanks guys.
Shoot don’t know how I didn’t see we didn’t have a WR’s coach :oops:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

These boys all trying to be light and lean for the females. Lol.

Gotta recruit some beef. If not, the DB’s will be making all the tackles next year. Opposing Olinemen gonna feast on our dline. Need Beef.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@bigislandkurt:

Normally I post only on the high school threads, but saw your post on the opening page of Sportshawaii, and wished to respond. Since I follow high school football almost exclusively, I really don't know much about UH's D-line. But I was thinking, is UH's D-line fast? If it is, it may be able to use that speed against a bigger O-line. As they say, speed kills. Of course, better if the D-line could be both fast and big, but you're not always lucky enough to have both. On the prep level, I've noticed that for years, Kamehameha and Kahuku have had D-lines that were often fast and big.