HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Lawndale HS (CA.) RB Derek Boyd II signs

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

st808 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:58 pm
st808 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
kapakahi wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:58 am
Timmy said that the players came up with it on their own.
students and alumni have referred to the saint louis culture as the brotherhood almost forever. this covers everyone in academics and sports during school and after graduation. where there is one, there is brotherhood.

just saying. memor et fidelis.
ok, maybe i laid it on too thick with the shoutout to st louis as the source for "bradahhood", because in reality just about every high school, college and professional football team boasts about their "brotherhood" formed by playing with each other against opponents. i don't see "braddahhood" as limiting recruiting as the construct is common in most team settings as with sisterhoods formed on girls' and women's sports.

i can see the u.h. marketing hoodies now with "braddah" scrawled across a u.h. stylized "h". or maybe someone reading this and a light going on $$$. like maybe "bra" stylized u.h "h" followed by "dah" written across the hood, which would make it a "brahdah" hood.

apologies, meant to quote "hs football fanatic" in this post.
@st808:

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea for UH to sell a hoodie that has UH's Hawaiianized "H" with "braddah" scrawled across it. After all, the UH football team is a "braddahhood", as is any football team.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Lawndale HS (CA.) RB Derek Boyd II signs

Post by st808 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:49 pm
st808 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:58 pm
st808 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am

students and alumni have referred to the saint louis culture as the brotherhood almost forever. this covers everyone in academics and sports during school and after graduation. where there is one, there is brotherhood.

just saying. memor et fidelis.
ok, maybe i laid it on too thick with the shoutout to st louis as the source for "bradahhood", because in reality just about every high school, college and professional football team boasts about their "brotherhood" formed by playing with each other against opponents. i don't see "braddahhood" as limiting recruiting as the construct is common in most team settings as with sisterhoods formed on girls' and women's sports.

i can see the u.h. marketing hoodies now with "braddah" scrawled across a u.h. stylized "h". or maybe someone reading this and a light going on $$$. like maybe "bra" stylized u.h "h" followed by "dah" written across the hood, which would make it a "brahdah" hood.

apologies, meant to quote "hs football fanatic" in this post.
@st808:

Yeah, I think it would be a good idea for UH to sell a hoodie that has UH's Hawaiianized "H" with "braddah" scrawled across it. After all, the UH football team is a "braddahhood", as is any football team.
if they do, i hope they give us one for free for coming up with the idea.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: "Braddahhood" Discussion

Post by cabanalane »

If someone have connections or want to call around and pitch the idea, that can only help the school even if this forum does not get anything. Or if UH Bookstore wishes to throw a few items this way, maybe the forum leaders can use it as "guess the score" prizes.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:54 am If someone have connections or want to call around and pitch the idea, that can only help the school even if this forum does not get anything. Or if UH Bookstore wishes to throw a few items this way, maybe the forum leaders can use it as "guess the score" prizes.
winner.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:54 am If someone have connections or want to call around and pitch the idea, that can only help the school even if this forum does not get anything. Or if UH Bookstore wishes to throw a few items this way, maybe the forum leaders can use it as "guess the score" prizes.
@cabanalane:

And, I'm assuming that UH would get at least a small cut from each UH garment sold? Sounds good.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm not all that OG here. I recall this forum used to be happening here. Lots of members, discussions, and disagreements. Then there was split. Some guys left to go to another forum. Even got to know some of them (in the internet way). I was invited to join too, but it was a paid forum, so nope. That forum ended. I don't know if the guys came back. Or came back under a different name.

Anyhow, here (Sportshawaii.com) is the only UH football forum. We are the only game in town, right?

Maybe UH can show us some love. Or at least have that connection, whatever that means.

I stay on the mainland and can only go mainland games. Like the last game in LV. I didn't know (could have guess) there would be a big local attendance. Would have love to be able to go, but "didn't know" there was something organized.

Quick story. I attended one event many years ago. UH play Arizona at Tucson, AZ. There was a seat at our table at the "tailgate". I'm old, but there's an old lady in her 80s came and ask if she can sit here. OK sure. We start talking. She was my high school teacher. No joke. She lives in AZ. Hard core fan even at that age. Go Bows.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:34 am Quick story. I attended one event many years ago. UH play Arizona at Tucson, AZ. There was a seat at our table at the "tailgate". I'm old, but there's an old lady in her 80s came and ask if she can sit here. OK sure. We start talking. She was my high school teacher. No joke. She lives in AZ. Hard core fan even at that age. Go Bows.
There's a lot of warmth spread by the people of Hawaii on the mainland. I've been in crowded bars where a beer was put in front of me by some stranger from Hawaii. It usually ends up with an introduction and a fight to see who buys the last beer realizing that both parties have to get home. I have been approached by a stranger working as a ranger in a park and said, 'eh, you from Hawaii yah?' Someone only wanting to talk story.

This Braddahhood slogan is great for the young men to help in the healing and bonding and uniting as a team but as far as a marketing tool it's kinda lame because it comes off too much like 'la hermandad' where they might have to send in Denzel Washington to eliminate as in "Man on Fire." The term sounds a little young and not for general audiences.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Some of the central figures in UH's "Braddahhood" movement are also poster boys of "Faddahhood."

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I like it. Weird to see some fans and alumni push back on it online. Overall, I think it's great.

I know the players came up with it, but I saw some fan make a graphic but they changed it to BRUHDDAHHOOD with the UH the old Rainbows logo. Probably could've worked that in better or made it BRADDUHHOOD for marketing purposes but BRADDAHHOOD works great too

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Neighbor wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:23 pm I like it. Weird to see some fans and alumni push back on it online. Overall, I think it's great.

I know the players came up with it, but I saw some fan make a graphic but they changed it to BRUHDDAHHOOD with the UH the old Rainbows logo. Probably could've worked that in better or made it BRADDUHHOOD for marketing purposes but BRADDAHHOOD works great too
Nice. Creative. UH need to use these ideas. I think this could go far.

Sorry, I never like the "Pride Rock." IIRC, Rolo said he got that from his kids watching cartoon movie "Lion King." I don't know many really live by it or take it to heart. Recall why JJ dropped the name "Rainbow" from "Rainbow Warriors." There were many reasons of course- marketing, look mean, black uni, etc. But this was also a time when people were not PC. Players lined up, the opposing team would call out "faggot Warriors." When Bows go on the road, some opposing fans would make that comment too. (Yes, I was recipient of such comment when I wore a UH Rainbows shirt on their campus.) Today, I think people are more PC and/or acceptance of LGBTQ.

Braddahood is different. Players can embrace it, live by it, take it to heart. And apply it in life lessons.
Last edited by cabanalane on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Braddahhood is definitely more preferable over Brahhood. The latter would get ripped by opposing team's fans more than Rainbows ever did. :tv:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/jonahpanoke/status/1492220260597972993

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Looks like UH will have an autograph session next week, I think only selected players. Good to see the the team getting out into the public, hopefully these kind of events will help to get fans back on the stands or at least get there support.

https://www.espnhonolulu.com/

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/CoachTimmyChang/status/1493071378765213701

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:06 am https://twitter.com/jonahpanoke/status/1492220260597972993
Nice.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: