ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Senate to meet with UH in January

Post by ulua »

Hopefully this meeting will provide us the public with more info
The state senate is conducting an online informational briefing regarding the University of Hawaii football program Jan. 7 at 2:30 p.m.

There are two agenda items: “Budget and cost related to coaching staff contracts,” and “Issues relating to the transfer of players,” according to an announcement from the state Senate Ways and Means and Higher Education Committees.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/12 ... n-january/

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Senate to meet with UH in January

Post by Duster »

ulua wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:14 pm Hopefully this meeting will provide us the public with more info
The state senate is conducting an online informational briefing regarding the University of Hawaii football program Jan. 7 at 2:30 p.m.

There are two agenda items: “Budget and cost related to coaching staff contracts,” and “Issues relating to the transfer of players,” according to an announcement from the state Senate Ways and Means and Higher Education Committees.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/12 ... n-january/
Will be interesting. I think I’ll watch some of it.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Looks like this is more than football. State Senate does get involve with football. Not the firing of Wagner or Chow. Those who what TG gone has got the ear of powerful people. Taking down TG may just bring the entire program down to the dumpster.

(Be careful what one wish for.)

There's no way he can focus on coaching a football program. He can't even go shopping at Times now.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

looks like the senate is looking for a vehicle to ignore issues directly related to having no stadium to play in, no fans in stands to play to and no support from the state to address the lack of a stadium. this hearing seems more designed to drive the tip of the spear deeper into the u.h. athletic scholarship programs, coaches and student athletes than it does for fact finding or resolving anything in favor of u.h. athletics, especially football.

graham should try whole foods, none would recognize him.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

No doubt Kim will be asking a lot of questions. I expect Matlin to get grilled.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

An Amended Agenda has come out. The Committees on Ways and Means and Higher Education are now accepting written testimony from the public. The initial Agenda indicated that there would be no public testimony. Here is a link to the Hearing/Informational Briefing Notice with the Amended Agenda: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2 ... _INFO_.HTM

The Amended Agenda states, in relevant part:

"Public testimony will be accepted. All testimony received by the Hawai‘i Senate will be posted on the Hawai‘i Legislature's website, which is accessible to the public. Please do not include private information that you do not want disclosed to the public."

"Persons wishing to submit written testimony may do so up to 24 hours prior to the hearing by emailing wamcommittee@capitol.hawaii.gov"

The Amended Agenda has a link for interested persons to use to view the written testimony submitted for the hearing/briefing.

The Hearing/Informational Briefing will be live streamed on Friday, 1/7/2022 at 2:30 p.m. on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCekvvd ... Uyj1GjlrOA

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

This starting to look like a waste of time. And I assume there's a cost too, such as running the AC and lights in the building.

I think members of this forum can summarize everything they need to know in a few replies. Save money right there (instead of lose money).

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Duster wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:05 pm An Amended Agenda has come out. The Committees on Ways and Means and Higher Education are now accepting written testimony from the public. The initial Agenda indicated that there would be no public testimony. Here is a link to the Hearing/Informational Briefing Notice with the Amended Agenda: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2 ... _INFO_.HTM

"Public testimony will be accepted. All testimony received by the Hawai‘i Senate will be posted on the Hawai‘i Legislature's website, which is accessible to the public. Please do not include private information that you do not want disclosed to the public."

"Persons wishing to submit written testimony may do so up to 24 hours prior to the hearing by emailing wamcommittee@capitol.hawaii.gov"

The Amended Agenda has a link for interested persons to use to view the written testimony submitted for the hearing/briefing.

The Hearing/Informational Briefing will be live streamed on Friday, 1/7/2022 at 2:30 p.m. on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCekvvd ... Uyj1GjlrOA
I wonder if Todd Graham is going to show up.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:46 am I wonder if Todd Graham is going to show up.
That would be a waste of time. It's time for Lassner and Matlin to help determine which way Hawaii sports is going to go at UH. Graham, the reason why this has become an issue at UH, is just an employee of UH that should be told what's expected of him. If it's been determined that Graham has been destructive to the UH program, they should allocate the funds to buy his contract out and get a coach who will nurture the local and mainland kids so that they want to play for UH and make them winners both in football and academics.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:46 am
Duster wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:05 pm An Amended Agenda has come out. The Committees on Ways and Means and Higher Education are now accepting written testimony from the public. The initial Agenda indicated that there would be no public testimony. Here is a link to the Hearing/Informational Briefing Notice with the Amended Agenda: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2 ... _INFO_.HTM

I wonder if Todd Graham is going to show up.
It's been reported that he will be in attendance. He is the subject of agenda item no. 2 after all:

The purpose of this informational briefing is to discuss the University of Hawaii football program including but not limited to the following:

1. Budget and cost related to coaching staff contracts.
2. Issues relating to the transfer of players.

Since the State capitol building is closed, I assume that he will appear via Zoom or similar means. I expect Penni Graham to be there too, for support, for Team Graham. Maybe some assistant coaches like Bo as well.

Interestingly, Dae Dae, Chevan, etc. are back on the 2021 roster on the UH Athletics website: https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/football/roster. It almost looks like a backpedal from removing student-athletes who left the program to hiding the extent of the transfers. Or simply restoring the season roster after the bowl game. i do not recall UH posting any signing class under Roster before: https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... /2021-2022 Good read.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Did they forget #24 Kai Kaneshiro? He only did not play for the last two games.

OK, I get it, "medical." JR Hensley missed more games in the end due to medical reasons, and still attended the banquet.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:48 pm Did they forget #24 Kai Kaneshiro? He only did not play for the last two games.

OK, I get it, "medical." JR Hensley missed more games in the end due to medical reasons, and still attended the banquet.
Yet, Kai shows up on the individual season stats on the website. #1 Tru Edwards and #28 Aaron Cephus are missing too, and show up in the stats. Funny thing about Cephus is that the note above the first roster listing states:

"2021 super seniors: Akina, Awaya, Azunna, Burton, Cephus, Davis, Ford, Frazier, Leavo, Matthews, Pryor, Smart, Thomas, Tonga, Tuitupou, Turner"

#54 Kalani Kamakawi`woole and #58 Kila Kamakawi`woole are not listed either.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Duster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:00 pm
It's been reported that he will be in attendance. He is the subject of agenda item no. 2 after all:

The purpose of this informational briefing is to discuss the University of Hawaii football program including but not limited to the following:

I don't think he'll be there. He'll be "out of town on a recruiting trip". He won't want to face Donna Kim. BTW, did you see Dave Reardon's tweet below?
https://twitter.com/dave_reardon/status/1479031789486100480

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Duster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:56 pm
cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:48 pm Did they forget #24 Kai Kaneshiro? He only did not play for the last two games.

Yet, Kai shows up on the individual season stats on the website. #1 Tru Edwards and #28 Aaron Cephus are missing too, and show up in the stats. Funny thing about Cephus is that the note above the first roster listing states:

"2021 super seniors: Akina, Awaya, Azunna, Burton, Cephus, Davis, Ford, Frazier, Leavo, Matthews, Pryor, Smart, Thomas, Tonga, Tuitupou, Turner"

#54 Kalani Kamakawi`woole and #58 Kila Kamakawi`woole are not listed either.
58 Kila Kamakawiwo'ole : A red shirt freshman. Member of the scout team. Did not appear in any games.
#54 Kalani K : Appeared in two games on special teams – at Fresno State and vs. UNLV.

Aaron Cephus: Lone catch of the season was a 29-yard grab versus San Diego State.

Tru Edwards: He was a transfer student athlete who, as far as I can tell, never played a down for Hawaii.

Hawaii, under Tod Graham, has a bowl win against a top 25 team (ranked this end-of-year) and a win against an arch nemesis in a final road game this year. We would've won the Hawaii Bowl this year too. So we lost Chevan Cordeiro and Darius Muasau to SJSU and UCLA to the draft portal. I wouldn't have recommended those moves, but those players will have new opportunities to shine. While I hate to see all the potential talent leave Hawaii, I can't help but think it's the sign of the times. The portal is both a blessing and a bane.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:59 pm
Duster wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:00 pm

I don't think he'll be there. He'll be "out of town on a recruiting trip". He won't want to face Donna Kim. BTW, did you see Dave Reardon's tweet below?
https://twitter.com/dave_reardon/status/1479031789486100480
I think it's currently the recruiting dead period.
ImageImage