work on halawa stadium postponed to 2023

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

work on halawa stadium postponed to 2023

Post by st808 »

seems the state just does not want to build a stadium.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/12/ ... -for-2023/

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: work on halawa stadium postponed to 2023

Post by My3Cats »

Typical. State of Hawaii government sux hairy ballz.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

“The change until early 2022 was necessary as the administration prepared for the demands of the legislative session that begins next month,” said Chris Kinimaka, public works administrator for the Department of Accounting and General Services.
The legislative session always begins every January so the corresponding annual staff preparation work effort is not unexpected and should have already been accounted for.....so no legitimate reason/explanation being offered by the administration for yet another avoidable self-inflicted delay (following the previous 1-year self-inflicted delay caused by administration staff clerical error with their proposed appropriation language in the 2020 Legislative Session).

Those who fail to plan (thoroughly beforehand) (ultimately inexorably) plan to fail.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/07/0 ... ther-year/
https://nased.hawaii.gov/legislators-ai ... rict-bill/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiNewsNow/status/1281488601470074882

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I doubt understand why demolition work can't start ASAP. At least clear the site for whatever they decide to do with it.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:58 pm I doubt understand why demolition work can't start ASAP. At least clear the site for whatever they decide to do with it.
Paralysis by over-analysis....'cuz the mainland consulting firms can then milk that State for more $ in fees the longer they drag the process out....using the same playbook that was already executed for the rail (by different mainland consulting firms).

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Football is important. But you know people going to ask, why you start on the stadium when the rail is not done yet? Now you get two projects that's WIP and not finish..

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Rail project 2.0 lol

Why do we need an entertainment district?
why can’t it just be a stadium?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

ulua wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:09 pm Rail project 2.0 lol

Well technically they are two different projects. The stadium will be done first, then the "entertainment district" will be worked on after.

To answer your question to the best of my understanding is that these days stadiums, of these sizes specifically, just by themselves are not financially viable unless they are at least partially financially backed by private funds and attract multiple events almost non stop like concerts for example. To offset the continued costs of upkeep and maintenance newly built stadiums (San Diego St Aztec Stadium for example) have some element of an "entertainment district". Even some older stadiums have developed "entertainment districts" to their surroundings. The revenue generated by the entertainment district would help fund the upkeep and improvements to the stadium. Whether people will understand that or agree to it is up for debate.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:21 pm
ulua wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:09 pm Rail project 2.0 lol

Well technically they are two different projects. The stadium will be done first, then the "entertainment district" will be worked on after.

To answer your question to the best of my understanding is that these days stadiums, of these sizes specifically, just by themselves are not financially viable unless they are at least partially financially backed by private funds and attract multiple events almost non stop like concerts for example. To offset the continued costs of upkeep and maintenance newly built stadiums (San Diego St Aztec Stadium for example) have some element of an "entertainment district". Even some older stadiums have developed "entertainment districts" to their surroundings. The revenue generated by the entertainment district would help fund the upkeep and improvements to the stadium. Whether people will understand that or agree to it is up for debate.
Ah Ok, this makes sense, thanks

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The idea of the "entertainment" district make sense. But let's look at Hawaii/Honolulu. Back then, everyone used to go to Waikiki. Then it was Restaurant Row. Then it was Aloha Tower market place. Even with these places, many were sort be in that area on a Friday-Saturday night.

How is the entertainment district suppose to support itself, outside of football season? Ok, there's the concerts, events, etc. So that mean these businesses would depend heavily on the events. The entertainment district is never going to be as busy as Waikiki.

I'm probably wrong as I've been off island a long time, and West Oahu is not how I remember it.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:01 am The idea of the "entertainment" district make sense. But let's look at Hawaii/Honolulu. Back then, everyone used to go to Waikiki. Then it was Restaurant Row. Then it was Aloha Tower market place. Even with these places, many were sort be in that area on a Friday-Saturday night.

How is the entertainment district suppose to support itself, outside of football season? Ok, there's the concerts, events, etc. So that mean these businesses would depend heavily on the events. The entertainment district is never going to be as busy as Waikiki.

I'm probably wrong as I've been off island a long time, and West Oahu is not how I remember it.
Entertainment district make sense if supported by professional teams (NFL, NBA, NHL, ect) ...

I am afraid entertainment district is going to be the death of tailgating because we will now be talking parking structure/mall/mainland type restaurants ...

How about a simple stadium and keep the swap meet and TAILGATING ... why they got to ruin it to make it a mainland thing?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:10 am

How about a simple stadium and keep the swap meet and TAILGATING ... why they got to ruin it to make it a mainland thing?
Agree. And take long time for the trees to grow. I hope they will try to keep some.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:10 am
cabanalane wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:01 am The idea of the "entertainment" district make sense. But let's look at Hawaii/Honolulu. Back then, everyone used to go to Waikiki. Then it was Restaurant Row. Then it was Aloha Tower market place. Even with these places, many were sort be in that area on a Friday-Saturday night.

Entertainment district make sense if supported by professional teams (NFL, NBA, NHL, ect) ...

I am afraid entertainment district is going to be the death of tailgating because we will now be talking parking structure/mall/mainland type restaurants ...

Well there are three site layouts under consideration one of which keeps at least half the surrounding stadium parking lot.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:24 pm Well there are three site layouts under consideration one of which keeps at least half the surrounding stadium parking lot.
I hope we can get parking with trees.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:23 pm
I hope we can get parking with trees.
Trees are important. I remember when some of them were small. When they got big, those were premium spots.