UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Post by st808 »

i'll be cheering for san diego state against fresno state this saturday. hoping san diego state arrives ranked. going to be an awesome game either way.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I love that Hawaii has a better venue to view the game and that they have kept the community safe. I saw a CNN report on the covid situation in the world today. Hawaii was one of those reporting that the pandemic was handled well. I wish I was a student at Manoa again. I would be there...for sure.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Well said. I get all the hate about Ige etc. Looking at it from the non-football side, Hawaii has consistently done great. When the mainland states were reporting 400 a day, Hawaii was like 7. I know it's a numbers thing, but still. Some mainland states make you think WTF.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i think most residents know that it is a difficult situation that was managed with good intentions, but the very vocal minority would make it seem like EVERYONE in Hawaii is ready to riot because of restrictions. but for the most part, people are happy and relieved that restrictions are easing up BECAUSE the situation has gotten much better. Granted, I don't have a kid playing high school sports so I'm not impacted as directly as some. Either way, i'm hopeful that I will get tickets to the next two games (My group actually got to buy a few season tickets for next season). It will be an unexpected and well-appreciated surprise if it does happen, for sure.

I know of a few people who passed away or were close to people who died from covid, but I'm so very grateful that none of my close loved ones got sick. Hawaii has felt very safe, in that regard. but I'm ready to watch a game in person.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

You know what I'm waiting to see? OK, so the fans (we) got what they wish for. So TC Ching better be full house. You guys saw the story from the former governors? So this is it. Go to games or shut up. No more excuses.

BTW, just for me, who was T.C. Ching? I'm guessing the Ching family must have a long history in Hawaii from the old days, where they made their $$$. When I was a kid in Makiki, the apartment we rented was from Mr. Ching. He own land too in Makiki which he leased out. And one had a high-rise condo. At the time Mr. Ching was in his 70s already.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:07 am You know what I'm waiting to see? OK, so the fans (we) got what they wish for. So TC Ching better be full house. You guys saw the story from the former governors? So this is it. Go to games or shut up. No more excuses.

BTW, just for me, who was T.C. Ching? I'm guessing the Ching family must have a long history in Hawaii from the old days, where they made their $$$. When I was a kid in Makiki, the apartment we rented was from Mr. Ching. He own land too in Makiki which he leased out. And one had a high-rise condo. At the time Mr. Ching was in his 70s already.
Here is a short biography of Mr. Ching.
https://www.clarencetcchingfoundation.o ... t-c-ching/
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Here is another one about Mr. Ching.
https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/the-clar ... oundation/
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Thank you.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Just curious for those who attended tonight's game against SDSU. what are your thoughts of the stadium and the experience?

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/mayor ... onse-plan/

So does that mean they will allow food and drinks at any UH sporting event?

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

ulua wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 pm Just curious for those who attended tonight's game against SDSU. what are your thoughts of the stadium and the experience?
UH has done a great job under the circumstances. Starting with traffic control and direction into the parking garage, Covid check-in and entrance into the stadium they have it down. The views obviously aren't as good as at Aloha Stadium since the stands are farther away from the field and the stands are not as high. Since UH controls the scoreboard and uses it's own PA announcer, the overall presentation of the game is much better. The student section has been filled and has been really great. Overall it's much more a college football experience than at Aloha Stadium. The biggest negatives are the scoreboard is smaller than Aloha Stadium's and there's only one big speaker on top of the scoreboard. The volume of the speaker is really loud for fans near the scoreboard because that one speaker has to be heard in the other endzone. I heard the scoreboard issue will get resolved next year when the Aloha Stadium scoreboard will be placed in the Diamond Head endzone. But that doesn't come with a speaker.

The game day experience will be much better next year when the concessions are allowed. UH is also planning to use Murakami Stadium for pre-game meals and getting together.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

uhwarriors wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 pm
Since UH controls the scoreboard and uses it's own PA announcer, the overall presentation of the game is much better.
The same person who previously was contracted by Aloha Stadium is contracted by UH to control the video/score board (which is the same manufacturer for Aloha Stadium's video scoreboard). This same person has been and still is under contract to UH to operate the Stan Sheriff Center video/scoreboard controls.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:20 pm
Since UH controls the scoreboard and uses it's own PA announcer, the overall presentation of the game is much better.
The same person who previously was contracted by Aloha Stadium is contracted by UH to control the video/score board (which is the same manufacturer for Aloha Stadium's video scoreboard). This same person has been and still is under contract to UH to operate the Stan Sheriff Center video/scoreboard controls.
UH controls the content and the content is much better. No Aloha Stadium ads. On defensive 3rd downs, tolling of the bells and the PA announcer reviving up the crowd. Colt Brennan videos on the Colt Brennan Tribute Game. Recognition of former players. Promotion of other UH sports.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:12 am
kapakahi wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:20 pm
UH controls the content and the content is much better. No Aloha Stadium ads. On defensive 3rd downs, tolling of the bells and the PA announcer reviving up the crowd. Colt Brennan videos on the Colt Brennan Tribute Game. Recognition of former players. Promotion of other UH sports.
The PA announcer is Ben Kia'aina, who does PA announcing in the SSC for select sports. I think he's changing it up to get more in tune with the Students. He's not mono-tone like the PA guy at Aloha Stadium.

But the student section in the Ewa Endzone needs to be educated to not cheer loud when we are on offense and calling the plays and not wave their ti-leaves especially when we are in the redzone.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

ulua wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:58 pm Just curious for those who attended tonight's game against SDSU. what are your thoughts of the stadium and the experience?
UH has done a great job under the circumstances. Starting with traffic control and direction into the parking garage, Covid check-in and entrance into the stadium they have it down. The views obviously aren't as good as at Aloha Stadium since the stands are farther away from the field and the stands are not as high. Since UH controls the scoreboard and uses it's own PA announcer, the overall presentation of the game is much better. The student section has been filled and has been really great. Overall it's much more a college football experience than at Aloha Stadium. The biggest negatives are the scoreboard is smaller than Aloha Stadium's and there's only one big speaker on top of the scoreboard. The volume of the speaker is really loud for fans near the scoreboard because that one speaker has to be heard in the other endzone. I heard the scoreboard issue will get resolved next year when the Aloha Stadium scoreboard will be placed in the Diamond Head endzone. But that doesn't come with a speaker.

The game day experience will be much better next year when the concessions are allowed. UH is also planning to use Murakami Stadium for pre-game meals and getting together.
I agree with all of this. the two games I went to this year really showed how much "potential" there is with football on campus. I go to a lot of events on campus and going to football on campus feels very natural to me. I really like the experience, but the shortcomings caused by this season's circumstances are glaring. Still, I've seen enough to get me even more excited about what they can do next season.

If they can bring in another 7,000 seats somehow and make the place feel less "temporary" it will be a great venue.