Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

@Jacob Makaiwi:

Passas has been a real thorn in the side of other ILH schools for decades. He's one of the main reasons St Louis School has had so many great QBs over the past 35 years or so. I mean, he simply attracted great QBs to that school. It's a little easier to produce a great QB when you have great raw material to begin with.
[/quote]

That’s true for the ILH. Fortunately he also wasn’t selfish by keeping all his knowledge solely with St.Louis. He spread the wealth to a lot of other QB’s from outside of St.Louis with his free QB clinics. I know Leilehua greats like Bryant Moniz and Andrew Manley were very grateful to have off season training with Passas when they were playing for the Mules. So many public school and private school QB’s have benefited by his expertise, and hopefully the next generation can also have a generous QB guru just like him.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Since Pearl City has been mentioned a lot recently in discussing their school colors, I just noticed on ScoringLive that while their varsity team lost to Radford this past weekend, their JV team also had a game scheduled against Kalani. I don’t really follow JV football, and besides watching the JV game finish, if I get to a varsity game early, don’t really know how they schedule either. I know some schools don’t have JV squads. Especially if their varsity squad is on the smaller side.

But it is common for the varsity and JV teams of the same school to play different opponents on the same week or same night? I just thought it was strange. I’m assuming that Radford only has a varsity squad and no JV, if not I’d think Pearl City and Radford’s JV teams would have also played each other, at the same site before the varsity game.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Kamehameha over St.Louis
Campbell over Waianae
Kapolei over Farrington
Kamehameha-Hawaii over Honokaa
Lahainaluna over King Kekaulike
Aiea over Roosevelt
Kaiser over Kalaheo
Kealakehe over Waiakea
PAC-5 over Pearl City
Kohala over Kau
Maui over Kamehameha-Maui
Iolani over Kailua
Moanalua over Castle
Kahuku over Leilehua
Kapaa over Kauai
Nanakuli over Kaimuki
Kalani over Waialua
Radford over McKinley
Konawaena over Keaau

10-5 on picks last week. 32-9 so far this year. I threw out the Kamehameha-Hawaii Kau pick because that game did not happen this week. Didn’t know that the Warriors were playing Kealakehe instead last week.
Last edited by unpaid on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

On the subject of mascots,here is some info on the live animal mascot for the Radford Rams that was named Pappy.
According to the story some Marines from VMF-14 rescued Pappy I from Kahoolawe before bombing practice(Military used to use the island for target practice back in the day.)

Not sure of the chain of custody,but a couple got the ram from the Marines and they donated him to Radford.Pappy I
Probably got his name from the Marines. VMF-14’s most famous commander was Col.Gregory “Pappy” Boyington from WWII.
They were known as the Black Sheep Squadron under Boyington’s command. older Board members might remember the TV show BaaBaa Black Sheep that ran on NBC way back when. Pappy I was a black ram( I’ve seen a picture that proves it to my satisfaction),so there was probably no way to escape the name Pappy. He began appearing at pep rallies with his student handlers in 1961.

There seem to have been at least five Pappy rams.Some were black,some white.

Pappy I seems to have been poisoned in the mid-sixties. Pappy II also did not go in peace. Choking,strangulation,and poisoning are the usual reasons discussed.

Pappy III was my favorite. I was a student at Radford when Pappy III was donated to us by the Hawaii Meat Co. sometime after starting life on the Parker Ranch on the Big Island. He never made an appearance ever at a Radford football game. According to the story, Pappy III escaped from the handlers truck on his way to his first football game and has been on the “lamb” ever since,never to be seen again. Good for Pappy III. Probably woulda been poisoned like his predecessors if he hadn’t escaped.

Pappy IV ,according to legend ,was fed LSD and did not return from the trip. RIP. No info on Pappy V other than he was around in 1974.

Pappy III was the best. He was too much ram to be anybody’s mascot. He lived free. Lived his life,took his chances.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:20 pm @Jacob Makaiwi:

Passas has been a real thorn in the side of other ILH schools for decades. He's one of the main reasons St Louis School has had so many great QBs over the past 35 years or so. I mean, he simply attracted great QBs to that school. It's a little easier to produce a great QB when you have great raw material to begin with.
That’s true for the ILH. Fortunately he also wasn’t selfish by keeping all his knowledge solely with St.Louis. He spread the wealth to a lot of other QB’s from outside of St.Louis with his free QB clinics. I know Leilehua greats like Bryant Moniz and Andrew Manley were very grateful to have off season training with Passas when they were playing for the Mules. So many public school and private school QB’s have benefited by his expertise, and hopefully the next generation can also have a generous QB guru just like him.
[/quote]

@Jacob Makaiwi:

And apparently that generosity came back to bite him in the butt once. Didn't Manley help Leilehua beat St Louis in the D1 state championship back in the early 2010s?

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:52 pm
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:20 pm @Jacob Makaiwi:

@Jacob Makaiwi:

And apparently that generosity came back to bite him in the butt once. Didn't Manley help Leilehua beat St Louis in the D1 state championship back in the early 2010s?
[/quote]

Yes as a Sophomore Manley played JV and then got pulled up to Varsity when the Varsity QB’s got injured in the playoffs. He then helped them win every game for the rest of the season including that State Champ against St.Louis with a crazy clutch fade in the endzone with about a minute left to finish the game Leilehua 20 St.Louis 16. That was a fun night in the stadium! St.Louis also was undefeated until that point with an 11-0 record that year and I believe the QB Micah Mamiya never lost a game as the starting QB for St.Louis before that game. I believe his team’s record was 21-0 coming in that night whenever he started at QB. Passas definitely trained him well.

With all that said I’m not sure if Manley trained with Passas before his Sophomore season. If that’s the case, then Passas didn’t have a hand in Manley beating St.Louis before that game. But he did train with him at some point in his High School career. I believe he started off season training with Passas after that game throughout his High School career.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:12 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:11 pm OIA TOP TEN
After 2 weeks and other local polls, my Top 10 OIA.

1. KAHUKU
2. MILILANI
3. CAMPBELL
4. WAIANAE
5. KAPOLEI
6. WAIPAHU
7. MOANALUA
8. RADFORD
9. FARRINGTON
10. CASTLE
Roosevelt
Kailua
Aiea

Did not know Bobby George was OC at Waianae. Like Kahuku, WAIANAE will now pass first before the run. Proof in the pudding the one week swing from Mililani lost to Leileihua win.

Radford jumped in all the way from D2, because of a solid team and Coach Fred Salanoa influence.
@TheNewNORM:

I didn't know Bobby George was there, either. Yes, he was an outstanding QB for St Louis School. I didn't see the Leilehua game; did Waianae pass the ball a lot? Isn't that a switch; Waianae is famous for smashmouth, ground-and-pound football. But if they have to run, they have a good RB in Alvin Quisquirin-Sabagala.

Radford seems to have a good RB in Christian Payton.
Oops, forgot Leileihua at #10. The brutal thing about the Mules is as a former Div.1, they didnt play the Waianaes,Kahuku,Mililani,Campbells. Just playing those guys can deplete your squad because of injuries thus limiting team potential. I prefer them to play in a more competitive D1. Both them and the other teams can blossom in those situation.

@hhfootballfanatic.
Waianae had 215 yds passing against Leileihua. Sabagala had 132 rushing so that's a pretty good balance. The Campbell game should be good. Closer than we think.
Also Radford has a solid squad. My only D2 in the top OIA top ten. Fred Salanoa is a good coach with stints at Punahou and Kamehameha. He has the draw power to get polynesian athletes to play for him.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 am On the subject of mascots,here is some info on the live animal mascot for the Radford Rams that was named Pappy.
According to the story some Marines from VMF-14 rescued Pappy I from Kahoolawe before bombing practice(Military used to use the island for target practice back in the day.)

Not sure of the chain of custody,but a couple got the ram from the Marines and they donated him to Radford.Pappy I
Probably got his name from the Marines. VMF-14’s most famous commander was Col.Gregory “Pappy” Boyington from WWII.
They were known as the Black Sheep Squadron under Boyington’s command. older Board members might remember the TV show BaaBaa Black Sheep that ran on NBC way back when. Pappy I was a black ram( I’ve seen a picture that proves it to my satisfaction),so there was probably no way to escape the name Pappy. He began appearing at pep rallies with his student handlers in 1961.

Pappy I seems to have been poisoned in the mid-sixties. Pappy II also did not go in peace. Choking,strangulation,and poisoning are the usual reasons discussed.

Pappy III was my favorite. I was a student at Radford when Pappy III was donated to us by the Hawaii Meat Co. sometime after starting life on the Parker Ranch on the Big Island. He never made an appearance ever at a Radford football game. According to the story, Pappy III escaped from the handlers truck on his way to his first football game and has been on the “lamb” ever since,never to be seen again. Good for Pappy III. Probably woulda been poisoned like his predecessors if he hadn’t escaped.

Pappy IV ,according to legend ,was fed LSD and did not return from the trip. RIP. No info on Pappy V other than he was around in 1974.

Pappy III was the best. He was too much ram to be anybody’s mascot. He lived free. Lived his life,took his chances.
Very interesting. I never knew why it was Radford Rams. Back in those days, and correct me, when Radford was established in 1960?...Hawaii loved the original L.A. Rams with Roman Gabriel at QB (1st.FilAm in NFL).
The Radford Rams jumped on the hs scene in the ROIA when a speedster named Bernie Rembrant was tearing up the rushing scene. This was maybe 67-68? Their team was stacked with players. Etuale Suafoa, Orlando Auld, Jeris White? Because the ROIA never played the ILH, they always was considered seconds but I believe that Radford team could have been State champs.

Oh and hhff and Jacob, as far as mascot names, wasnt there a cheer that inserted MIGHTY in it? "WE ARE THE WARRIORS, MIGHTY MIGHTY WARRIORS" or "WE ARE THE GOVERNORS, MIGHTY MIGHTY GOVERNORS"...all the schools had that chant. Maybe that's how Mighty Mules came about?

Hawaii High School Football History, you gotta love it.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:38 pm Since Pearl City has been mentioned a lot recently in discussing their school colors, I just noticed on ScoringLive that while their varsity team lost to Radford this past weekend, their JV team also had a game scheduled against Kalani. I don’t really follow JV football, and besides watching the JV game finish, if I get to a varsity game early, don’t really know how they schedule either. I know some schools don’t have JV squads. Especially if their varsity squad is on the smaller side.

But it is common for the varsity and JV teams of the same school to play different opponents on the same week or same night? I just thought it was strange. I’m assuming that Radford only has a varsity squad and no JV, if not I’d think Pearl City and Radford’s JV teams would have also played each other, at the same site before the varsity game.
@ChadFukuoka:

If different schools are playing in the JV game, that generally means the host school doesn't have a JV team.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:55 am On the subject of mascots,here is some info on the live animal mascot for the Radford Rams that was named Pappy.

@unpaid:

That's a great post. I'm always glad when you post, because it's nice to have someone older than I here. There are times when I ask myself, "What is a guy my age doing, posting on a high school sports thread?"

What in the world were people doing poisoning those rams? I wonder when the cruelty-to-animals law was passed.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Very interesting. I never knew why it was Radford Rams. Back in those days, and correct me, when Radford was established in 1960?...Hawaii loved the original L.A. Rams with Roman Gabriel at QB (1st.FilAm in NFL).
The Radford Rams jumped on the hs scene in the ROIA when a speedster named Bernie Rembrant was tearing up the rushing scene. This was maybe 67-68? Their team was stacked with players. Etuale Suafoa, Orlando Auld, Jeris White? Because the ROIA never played the ILH, they always was considered seconds but I believe that Radford team could have been State champs.

Oh and hhff and Jacob, as far as mascot names, wasnt there a cheer that inserted MIGHTY in it? "WE ARE THE WARRIORS, MIGHTY MIGHTY WARRIORS" or "WE ARE THE GOVERNORS, MIGHTY MIGHTY GOVERNORS"...all the schools had that chant. Maybe that's how Mighty Mules came about?

Hawaii High School Football History, you gotta love it.
@TheNewNORM:

Dare I believe there's yet another guy here in his 60s? If I recall correctly, unpaid posted some time back that he's a Radford grad, Class of '69. That makes him older than I, so I feel I've got company. You seem to remember a lot of Radford High football history from "way back when". The more older guys we have here the better, I think, so I don't feel so ridiculous. I mean, even though I'm in my 60s, I love high school sports; that's why I keep posting here.

Yes, I seem to remember those cheers, too. But, the "mighty" isn't part of the official nickname; only part of the cheer. But, so what, right?

When I was in intermediate school--back when they were called that, not middle school--my uncle took to football games of many different high schools here on Oahu. I seem to recall one game he took me to, it was a Kaimuki game. Think this was back in '71, or something like that. I remember one cheer that the Kaimuki cheerleaders cheered like, twice each quarter; that's why I remember it. It doesn't have the word, "mighty" in it, but I just thought I'd share it anyway, since you mentioned chants/cheers:

"Thunder, thunder, thunder-ation!
We've got, we've got, determination!
Thunder, thunder, thunder-ation!
We've got the best team, in the nation!
Thunder, thunder, thunder-ation!"

(Thanks, Kaimuki cheerleaders from back in the early-'70s. I'd bet today's Kaimuki cheerleaders would find that cheer kind of quaint and corny. Well, things today are so different than they were back then.)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

TheNewNorm,HS Football Fanatic,

I too as an elementary school kid looked at Roman Gabriel as an athlete role model,though,obviously,I never rose above some infrequent heroics on college intramural leagues at university.Gabriel was The Man to me if you were talking about an NFL QB in the 60’s.

I think there are a few guys on this board who are older than I am,although they usually post in other forums.

That Radford 68 team was pretty good. I remember my father coming with me to a 1969 game, and after a few minutes he said, they’re not as big as last year. Dad always told you what he was thinking. Cool!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:52 am Picks this week,

Campbell over Waianae
Kapolei over Farrington
Aiea over Roosevelt
Kaiser over Kalaheo
Kealakehe over Waiakea
PAC-5 over Pearl City
Kohala over Kau
Iolani over Kailua
Moanalua over Castle
Kahuku over Leilehua
Kapaa over Kauai
Nanakuli over Kaimuki
Kalani over Waialua
Radford over McKinley
Konawaena over Keaau

10-5 on picks last week. 32-9 so far this year. I threw out the Kamehameha-Hawaii Kau pick because that game did not happen this week. Didn’t know that the Warriors were playing Kealakehe instead last week.
I see you didn’t pick the St. Louis-Kamehameha game. St. Louis will need to do three things to ensure victory: avoid making KSK’s RB look like Saquon Barkley (as they did in the 2nd game), cut down on penalties and turnovers, and show much more consistency than they did in their two previous games against KSK. I think St. Louis is capable of doing all three, although they haven’t shown an ability to do the last two in recent games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

gopunahou,

I corrected my oversight on picks and added Kamehameha over St.Louis to this weeks pick list. Thanks.

Kamehameha can win the ILH title and state playoff slot outright with a win against St.Louis this weekend.That’s plenty of motivation for me if I’m a Warrior.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:58 am
unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:52 am Picks this week,

Campbell over Waianae
Kapolei over Farrington
Aiea over Roosevelt
Kaiser over Kalaheo
Kealakehe over Waiakea
PAC-5 over Pearl City
Kohala over Kau
Iolani over Kailua
Moanalua over Castle
Kahuku over Leilehua
Kapaa over Kauai
Nanakuli over Kaimuki
Kalani over Waialua
Radford over McKinley
Konawaena over Keaau

I see you didn’t pick the St. Louis-Kamehameha game. St. Louis will need to do three things to ensure victory: avoid making KSK’s RB look like Saquon Barkley (as they did in the 2nd game), cut down on penalties and turnovers, and show much more consistency than they did in their two previous games against KSK. I think St. Louis is capable of doing all three, although they haven’t shown an ability to do the last two in recent games.
@gopunahou:

Yeah, I suspect Cal will create some new wrinkle for his D. Kamehameha does have a thick, strong O-line, and a good RB. But I suspect Cal will come-up with something; perhaps a new blocking scheme? And yes, St Louis needs to do something about its penalties (though I hope it doesn't, as I prefer to see Kamehameha win). I was surprised that for much of the second game against Punahou, Kamehameha committed relatively few penalties; they usually commit lots of penalties, and they generally do that every year. If Kamehameha can keep its penalties down again, obviously they won't lose hard-earned yards, or, points, if a TD is called-back. As for consistency, that's probably the most difficult problem. Consistency is about execution, and we know how hard it can be to execute plays. It's often hard enough to know exactly what you have to do, but what if for some reason you fail to carry it out? I remember that back in the early-'80s, Kalaheo had a pretty good team. I think they actually played Waianae for the OIA title one year back in that period. I think it might have been the title game because back then, OIA schools were classified by geography, not strength. There was no Open, D1, and D2. It was simply Eastern Division and Western Division. Kalaheo was in the Eastern Division, and Waianae was in the Western Division. Schools played only within their own division, so I'm assuming the only way Kalaheo and Waianae would meet is if they were champs of their respective divisions. Anyway, Kalaheo lost, and after the game, Kalaheo's HC said to a reporter, "We knew what Waianae was going to do; we just couldn't stop them." That was because Waianae had a thick O-line and a strong RB, while Kalaheo's D-line was considerably smaller. Kalaheo's HC knew that Waianae would try to run the ball down Kalaheo's throat, but his D-line just didn't have the size to stop them.

Kalaheo also had a good team in '83. That's the year they played Nanakuli for the OIA title. (That's right. Kalaheo and Nanakuli were the two strongest schools in the entire OIA that year, yet today they're both in D2. Go figure.) Kalaheo lost, but that was probably because once again, they had to play a school that had a thick O-line and, in this case, a very good RB: Clayton Mahuka. He was not only big, but very fast. Most big RBs run for power, but Mahuka was also very fast for his size.

Unfortunately, Kalaheo High has fallen on hard times the past several years, and this year they're in danger of finishing last in OIA D2. Kalaheo alumni have definitely seen better days.