Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

TheNewNORM wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:20 pm [quote=gopunahou post_id=617485 time=1634531935

If St. Louis fails to win the state championship (which is a strong possibility), will Cal Lee reassume the role of HC?
I would think that maybe it might be time for the Lee's to gracefully retire.
[/quote]

@TheNewNORM:

Somehow, I don't think the Lees want to leave on a losing note. If either Kamehameha or Punahou wins ILH Open, I have a suspicion that the Lees might be back. Perhaps they'll wait until St Louis' next state Open title, then retire. If they were at any other school, such a prospect might be out of reach. But at St Louis School, there's almost an expectation that they'll win the state Open title most years.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:28 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:20 pm [quote=gopunahou post_id=617485 time=1634531935

If St. Louis fails to win the state championship (which is a strong possibility), will Cal Lee reassume the role of HC?
I wonder if they are already going the way of Bobby Bowden, who couldn’t win as much in his last 9 years as coach as he did between 1987-2000.
[/quote]

@gopunahou:

I don't think it's so much of a case of the Lees losing their touch; the biggest problem they're having this year, I think, is that the O-line is too slow. Ironically, the O-line was supposed to be the school's strong suit this year, I guess because of its mammoth size. But along with such mammoth size comes more slowness naturally, right? Kamehameha Schools' D-line, by comparison, is quick. So, they've been able to get around St Louis' O-line and get into the backfield, blowing-up plays and forcing QB Bianco to get rid of the ball sooner than he might like to, or even sacking him.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:54 pm

I wonder if they are already going the way of Bobby Bowden, who couldn’t win as much in his last 9 years as coach as he did between 1987-2000.
It’s only been this year they are struggling a little. Before 2020, St Louis was undefeated against Hawaii teams for the last 4 seasons. I’d say it takes more than one down year before a coach should consider retiring. You’d think if it was an age thing, the Lee’s would have rode off into the sunset and retired years ago. Sometimes coaching is all someone wants to do. I can’t imagine Bill Belichick retiring until he physically has to, or if the Patriots really start to suck, like years of last place division finishes (he has won so many Super Bowls, I think Kraft will let him stay as long as he wants)
[/quote]

@ChadFukuoka:

Sometimes I wonder about Cal. I mean, he stepped-down to DC. I'm sure he loves the sport of football, but could it be that he's simply getting worn-out? I mean, being St Louis HC is like being Alabama HC on the college level. Expectations are so high, so there's a lot of pressure accompanying the position. I would love to see Cal leave St Louis School and go back to his alma mater, Kalani High, become HC, and then retire from that school somewhere down the line. Then, he will have come full circle. He played for Kalani High, and was an all-star LB. All that's left is to become HC of the school. There might be no more pressure being Kalani HC than being St Louis DC, even. Football expectations aren't as high at Kalani High. No one is expecting Cal to take Kalani High to a state title, or perhaps even an OIA title. So, Cal could just coach Kalani High until one year he sits down, looks out the window, and thinks, "OK; it might be just about time to go. I'm not getting any younger, I'm starting to get exhausted after games. If I hang it up, I'll be riding-off into the sunset from my alma mater. That's kind of nice, and it's fitting. Soon as our season ends, I'm going to see the AD and let him know."

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 pm

It’s only been this year they are struggling a little. Before 2020, St Louis was undefeated against Hawaii teams for the last 4 seasons. I’d say it takes more than one down year before a coach should consider retiring. You’d think if it was an age thing, the Lee’s would have rode off into the sunset and retired years ago. Sometimes coaching is all someone wants to do. I can’t imagine Bill Belichick retiring until he physically has to, or if the Patriots really start to suck, like years of last place division finishes (he has won so many Super Bowls, I think Kraft will let him stay as long as he wants)
@ChadFukuoka:

Sometimes I wonder about Cal. I mean, he stepped-down to DC. I'm sure he loves the sport of football, but could it be that he's simply getting worn-out? I mean, being St Louis HC is like being Alabama HC on the college level. Expectations are so high, so there's a lot of pressure accompanying the position. I would love to see Cal leave St Louis School and go back to his alma mater, Kalani High, become HC, and then retire from that school somewhere down the line. Then, he will have come full circle. He played for Kalani High, and was an all-star LB. All that's left is to become HC of the school. There might be no more pressure being Kalani HC than being St Louis DC, even. Football expectations aren't as high at Kalani High. No one is expecting Cal to take Kalani High to a state title, or perhaps even an OIA title. So, Cal could just coach Kalani High until one year he sits down, looks out the window, and thinks, "OK; it might be just about time to go. I'm not getting any younger, I'm starting to get exhausted after games. If I hang it up, I'll be riding-off into the sunset from my alma mater. That's kind of nice, and it's fitting. Soon as our season ends, I'm going to see the AD and let him know."
[/quote]

I think if he wanted to rebuild his alma mater, since they are D2, and never won a league title in any division (I think Kalani, Pearl City, and Kalaheo are the only 3 current Oahu schools with no league titles in football at any level), it would be a long term rebuild. That might take at least 5 years. Winning is in his blood (it’s in any coach’s blood), but he’s won so much at St Louis. He would want to leave on a high note, knowing that he took a small program to new heights. If he really wanted to do this, he should have left for Kalani years ago. Hypothetically, he might still have time now, but he’s not getting any younger.

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

Imma be like unpaid and start making some predictions throughout the season! These are my predictions and some scores for this weekend just for fun 😁

Open
- Leilehua upset win over Waianae 21-13 (Start off your Open Division debut right! :) Go Mules!!!!!!)
- Mililani over Kapolei 31-14
- St.Louis over Punahou 35-24 (St.Louis to pull away toward the end of the 3rd quarter)
- Kahuku over Farrington 42-7
- St Louis II over Kamehameha II 35-27

Division 1 Oahu
- Kailua upset win over Waipahu 17-7
- Moanalua over Aiea 28-14
- Castle upset win over Roosevelt 28-21 (Roosevelt just has to adjust to being in a higher division again)
Division 1 Big Island
- Konawaena upset win over Hilo 21-14 (Konawaena’s getting tired of being second to Hilo on the Big Island, plus they’re playing in Kona this weekend)
- Keaau over Waiakea 49-10
Division 1 Maui
- Lahainalua over Maui 38-0

Divison 2 Oahu
- Kaimuki over Kalani 20-7
- Kaiser over Waialua 21-15
- Pearl City over Radford 35-6
- Nanakuli over Kalaheo 33-3
Division 2 Big Island
- KS-Hawaii over Kau 40-6
- Hawaii Prep over Honokaa 49-14
- Kohala over Pahoa 42-6

Kauai
- Waimea over Kauai 28-14

Maui Inter-division battle
- Baldwin over Kekaulike 35-14

Good luck to all teams this week! God bless 🤙🏾
Last edited by Jacob Makaiwi on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:20 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:43 pm
@ChadFukuoka:

I think if he wanted to rebuild his alma mater, since they are D2, and never won a league title in any division (I think Kalani, Pearl City, and Kalaheo are the only 3 current Oahu schools with no league titles in football at any level), it would be a long term rebuild. That might take at least 5 years. Winning is in his blood (it’s in any coach’s blood), but he’s won so much at St Louis. He would want to leave on a high note, knowing that he took a small program to new heights. If he really wanted to do this, he should have left for Kalani years ago. Hypothetically, he might still have time now, but he’s not getting any younger.
[/quote]

@ChadFukuoka:

At his age--(I think he's 74 or 75)--I doubt Cal is thinking "long term". I suspect it's year-to-year with him. Also, I'd like to think that, were he to return to Kalani High, it wouldn't be about taking a small program to new heights. I'd like to think that it would be solely about returning to his alma mater, regardless of whether it's a small program or not. Perhaps he would have a change of heart and decide to return to his alma mater, not necessarily to turn the school into a world-beater, but simply to close-out his coaching career there. St Louis School is not his alma mater.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 pm Imma be like unpaid and start making some predictions throughout the season! These are my predictions and some scores for this weekend just for fun 😁

Open
- Leilehua upset win over Waianae 21-13 (Start off your Open Division debut right! :) Go Mules!!!!!!)
- St.Louis over Punahou 35-24 (St.Louis to pull away toward the end of the 3rd quarter)

Division 1 Oahu
- Castle upset win over Roosevelt 28-21 (Roosevelt just has to adjust to being in a higher division again)
Division 1 Big Island
- Konawaena upset win over Hilo 21-14 (Konawaena’s getting tired of being second to Hilo on the Big Island)
Division 1 Maui

Divison 2 Oahu
Division 2 Big Island
- Kohala over Pahoa 42-6

Kauai

@Jacob Makaiwi:

That's amazing. I mean, you've outdone unpaid! He lists a Top Ten and some predictions, but you're going statewide, and predicting what the actual scores might be, statewide. That's really quite impressive. I mean, I don't think any of the rest of us could have gone that far; I know I couldn't!

Jacob Makaiwi
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Jacob Makaiwi »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:19 pm
Jacob Makaiwi wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 pm Imma be like unpaid and start making some predictions throughout the season! These are my predictions and some scores for this weekend just for fun 😁

Open

Division 1 Oahu
Division 1 Big Island
- Konawaena upset win over Hilo 21-14 (Konawaena’s getting tired of being second to Hilo on the Big Island)
Division 1 Maui

Divison 2 Oahu
Division 2 Big Island
- Kohala over Pahoa 42-6

Kauai

@Jacob Makaiwi:

That's amazing. I mean, you've outdone unpaid! He lists a Top Ten and some predictions, but you're going statewide, and predicting what the actual scores might be, statewide. That's really quite impressive. I mean, I don't think any of the rest of us could have gone that far; I know I couldn't!
My wife was watching a whole 2 hour episode of the Voice tonight, so I had choke time to do this and “watch” with her 😂 but we’ll see about the scores part! It would be incredible if I have a few games with the scores matched perfectly.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If St. Louis were to beat us Friday, Kamehameha will face a historically impossible task of beating them three times in a season. It's only happened once--2005 when we did it and ended St. Louis's 19-year streak of ILH titles. Of course, St. Louis also faces a historically impossible task--beating us three times in a season. We've never had a team beat us three times in a single season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou:

I agree that Kamehameha probably isn't going to beat St Louis a third time, but not because it's "historically impossible," but only because St Louis is too strong, especially their pass game. If Kamehameha had a stronger defensive front-seven, and St Louis had no run game (they usually don't), I think Kamehameha would very well have a chance to beat them a third time. But instead, Kamehameha was pretty lucky to beat them twice, and look at how narrow the margin of victory was both times. I'm not saying that Kamehameha's defensive front-seven sucks; they don't. They're quite good. Unfortunately, they would have to be even better in order for me to have confidence that they can contain St Louis' pass game enough to beat them a third time. I mean, I like Kamehameha Schools, so I'd like to see them win. But again, the Saints are so strong that you need a whole lot of luck to beat them, and there's no guarantee that you will be that lucky again, right?

Likewise, I don't think it's "historically impossible" for St Louis to beat Punahou three times. It's likely to happen, because 1.) St Louis has a very strong pass game and they have a run game, and 2.) Punahou doesn't have a run game.
It doesn't really matter that it never happened before, right? What matters is that the two schools have those relative strengths and weaknesses this year. Also: Will QB Sagapolutele play? If he won't, then St Louis is even more likely to win, if you ask me. McCutcheon simply can't power-run like Sagapolutele.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Kamehameha-Hawaii over Kau
Mililani over Kapolei
Hilo over Konawaena
St.Louis over Punahou
Lahainaluna over Maui
Moanalua over Aiea
Hawaii Prep over Honokaa
Kahuku over Farrington
Leilehua over Waianae
Kauai over Waimea
Baldwin over King Kekeaulike
Castle over Roosevelt
Kaiser over Waialua
Pearl City over Radford
Nanakuli over Kalaheo
Waiakea over Keaau
Kohala over Pahoa

9-1 on picks statewide last week. 22-4 season to date. Full disclosure,Kaimuki forfeited to Radford so I threw that pick out because there was no game played. Didn’t know Moanalua and Damien played ,so I did not pick that game.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:21 pm Picks this week,

Kamehameha-Hawaii over Kau
Mililani over Kapolei
Hilo over Konawaena
St.Louis over Punahou
Lahainaluna over Maui
Moanalua over Aiea
Hawaii Prep over Honokaa
Kahuku over Farrington
Leilehua over Waianae
Kauai over Waimea
Baldwin over King Kekeaulike
Castle over Roosevelt
Kaiser over Waialua
Pearl City over Radford
Nanakuli over Kalaheo
Waiakea over Keaau
Kohala over Pahoa

9-1 on picks statewide last week. 22-4 season to date. Full disclosure,Kaimuki forfeited to Radford so I threw that pick out because there was no game played. Didn’t know Moanalua and Damien played ,so I did not pick that game.
It looks like the Moanalua/Damien game was an exhibition, I don’t see any sites reporting a final score. Or was it something like the Kahuku/Kam scrimmage?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Might very well be. Notice that Moanalua High and Damien School are in different leagues. If it was a "controlled scrimmage" like the Kamehameha v Kahuku game, it probably wasn't publicized because neither Moanalua nor Damien are ranked.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Might very well be. Notice that Moanalua High and Damien School are in different leagues. If it was a "controlled scrimmage" like the Kamehameha v Kahuku game, it probably wasn't publicized because neither Moanalua nor Damien are ranked.
The timing works well for both teams anyway. Moanalua starts their season in the OIA D1 this weekend, and would want a warm up before that, and Damien had a gap in between their last ILH game and this week’s D1 championship game against Iolani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I'd imagine Moanalua is in a better place than Damien. It's quite certain that Damien will lose to Iolani, and then the season will be over for them. On the other hand, Moanalua's season hasn't even begun yet. Damien alumni might be crestfallen already, knowing that the school's season will likely end this week. Worse, they got smashed by Moanalua this past week. On the other hand, Moanalua alumni can be stoked about that school being about to embark on a whole new season. Plus, Moanalua smashed Damien this past week. So, as far as football is concerned, Moanalua High and Damien School are two schools going in opposite directions.

Lets consider those two schools' fortunes in the other major sport running concurrently: Girls' volleyball. Right now, both Moanalua High and Damien High are very competitive with each other. Of course, the schools are in different leagues, but in yesterday's paper, they're ranked right next to each other: Moanalua is ranked #4, while Damien is ranked #5. That's a pretty amazing coincidence. The two schools are going in opposite directions in football, but they seem to be on nearly parallel tracks in girls' volleyball. Damien School should get a lot of credit, because though that school is in D2 for girls' volleyball, they're still ranked #5 in the state. Isn't that pretty amazing? Meanwhile, Moanalua High, ranked #4, is the top-ranked OIA school in the state. At this point, it seems quite certain that both schools will be headed to their respective divisions' state tourneys.