Does anyone have questions about Wyoming in general?

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: Does anyone have questions about Wyoming in general?

Post by wyokie »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:39 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:25 pm If I were to go RVing in Wyoming for say a week, where are the must see places to visit besides the Old Faithful and Grand Tetons?
If you haven't already tried Wyoming cuisine, don't forget the Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Shockingly, I never tried them. :lol:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

What's the coldest winter you've ever experienced in Wyoming and did it bring out the best in people? Last year was one of the worst winters with the Artic cyclone bomb. I remember driving from Northern California to NE US years ago for work about that time of year when winter is worst and experienced almost the same. Huge cumulus nimbus just gray as heck coming fast from the north of the I-80. Travelling on I-80 in Wyoming after having driven on the autobahn before this, I was doing 110mph with no cars behind of me and in front for miles and low grass on the side of the road making animal visibility easy. Totally empty except for what looked like a station wagon(?) with racks about 3 miles behind me. Slowed down just in case. Wyoming highway patrol. Wrote me up for 85mph. Just being nice I guess. Storm was faster than I could outrun and had to stop in Kearney, NE. -30 with -70 wind chill in Kearney and everybody plugged their car in. Only one car didn't start that morning... mine. Asked the owner of the next door hardware store if I could use his garage to warm the car up and he help me try to push it about 50 yards but it require one other person because we were slipping with boots which made the parking lot like an ice skating rink. Hardware store owner never charged me anything for heating my engine block and I was back on the road. It really warmed my heart to have the help that I did from the Hardware store guy and the other guy who was the third muscle that was required to push the car. I thought this would be the best act of humanity I experienced but I went through Indiana with the storm still hitting hard and no other cars on the road, my car drops into a ditch after hitting a snow drift and car went into a ditch. In the middle of nowhere, a car with an older couple stopped and took me 6 miles to the next exit to get a tow. These two incidents I'll remember fondly forever.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:52 pm What's the coldest winter you've ever experienced in Wyoming and did it bring out the best in people? Last year was one of the worst winters with the Artic cyclone bomb. I remember driving from Northern California to NE US years ago for work about that time of year when winter is worst and experienced almost the same. Huge cumulus nimbus just gray as heck coming fast from the north of the I-80. Travelling on I-80 in Wyoming after having driven on the autobahn before this, I was doing 110mph with no cars behind of me and in front for miles and low grass on the side of the road making animal visibility easy. Totally empty except for what looked like a station wagon(?) with racks about 3 miles behind me. Slowed down just in case. Wyoming highway patrol. Wrote me up for 85mph. Just being nice I guess. Storm was faster than I could outrun and had to stop in Kearney, NE. -30 with -70 wind chill in Kearney and everybody plugged their car in. Only one car didn't start that morning... mine. Asked the owner of the next door hardware store if I could use his garage to warm the car up and he help me try to push it about 50 yards but it require one other person because we were slipping with boots which made the parking lot like an ice skating rink. Hardware store owner never charged me anything for heating my engine block and I was back on the road. It really warmed my heart to have the help that I did from the Hardware store guy and the other guy who was the third muscle that was required to push the car. I thought this would be the best act of humanity I experienced but I went through Indiana with the storm still hitting hard and no other cars on the road, my car drops into a ditch after hitting a snow drift and car went into a ditch. In the middle of nowhere, a car with an older couple stopped and took me 6 miles to the next exit to get a tow. These two incidents I'll remember fondly forever.
Highway cops are a tricky bunch in Wyoming. This past summer my dad got a speeding ticket in a rural part of eastern Colorado for 13 MPH over the speed limit.

Winters in Wyoming are interesting. The cliff notes version...Wyoming winters make Siberia look like Hawaii during our blizzards. No joke!!!!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:52 pm What's the coldest winter you've ever experienced in Wyoming and did it bring out the best in people? Last year was one of the worst winters with the Artic cyclone bomb. I remember driving from Northern California to NE US years ago for work about that time of year when winter is worst and experienced almost the same. Huge cumulus nimbus just gray as heck coming fast from the north of the I-80. Travelling on I-80 in Wyoming after having driven on the autobahn before this, I was doing 110mph with no cars behind of me and in front for miles and low grass on the side of the road making animal visibility easy. Totally empty except for what looked like a station wagon(?) with racks about 3 miles behind me. Slowed down just in case. Wyoming highway patrol. Wrote me up for 85mph. Just being nice I guess. Storm was faster than I could outrun and had to stop in Kearney, NE. -30 with -70 wind chill in Kearney and everybody plugged their car in. Only one car didn't start that morning... mine. Asked the owner of the next door hardware store if I could use his garage to warm the car up and he help me try to push it about 50 yards but it require one other person because we were slipping with boots which made the parking lot like an ice skating rink. Hardware store owner never charged me anything for heating my engine block and I was back on the road. It really warmed my heart to have the help that I did from the Hardware store guy and the other guy who was the third muscle that was required to push the car. I thought this would be the best act of humanity I experienced but I went through Indiana with the storm still hitting hard and no other cars on the road, my car drops into a ditch after hitting a snow drift and car went into a ditch. In the middle of nowhere, a car with an older couple stopped and took me 6 miles to the next exit to get a tow. These two incidents I'll remember fondly forever.
Highway cops are a tricky bunch in Wyoming. This past summer my dad got a speeding ticket in a rural part of eastern Colorado for 13 MPH over the speed limit.

Glad some Wyomingites helped you out. Wyoming people including cops help each other a lot especially during our winters.

Winters in Wyoming are interesting. The cliff notes version...Wyoming winters make Siberia look like Hawaii during our blizzards. No joke!!!!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

wyokie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm Winters in Wyoming are interesting. The cliff notes version...Wyoming winters make Siberia look like Hawaii during our blizzards. No joke!!!!
So, what's your advice to people, who live in relatively warmer weather and don't know about winter. What should they do if they find themselves forced to take a motel with minus degree temperatures and having to park their car outside without an engine block plug in to keep the oil warm? Everybody at the motel in Kearney was plugged in and I wasn't. My colleague from Alaska said they keep their engine running while they nap. Not really safe.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:07 am
wyokie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm Winters in Wyoming are interesting. The cliff notes version...Wyoming winters make Siberia look like Hawaii during our blizzards. No joke!!!!
So, what's your advice to people, who live in relatively warmer weather and don't know about winter. What should they do if they find themselves forced to take a motel with minus degree temperatures and having to park their car outside without an engine block plug in to keep the oil warm? Everybody at the motel in Kearney was plugged in and I wasn't. My colleague from Alaska said they keep their engine running while they nap. Not really safe.
Honestly, the wind is really the only big problem. The wind in Casper blows 24/7 with gusts up to around 50+ MPH. It gets so bad that you can 't even see maybe a foot or two ahead of ya. Although some of the romantic/Norman Rockwell painting moments are where there's a gentle snowfall with no wind which does happen from time to time.

I have to warn....at ANY time of the year, there will always be a chance of a snowstorm somewhere in Wyoming. Trust me.

Just dress in layers like a sweatshirt, heavy coat, and heavy boots although a lot of Wyoming kids just wear sneakers. Hell, there was one kid while I was in HS in Casper, WY who I kid you not wore shorts to class during the winter when it got cold.

I highly suggest you drink lots of coffee or hot chocolate before traveling the roads in Wyoming during winter. If the authorities tell you to chain up your tires, DO IT ASAP!!!!!!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

wyokie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm This past summer my dad got a speeding ticket in a rural part of eastern Colorado for 13 MPH over the speed limit.
As you go from state to state, rules of the road change. I try to avoid Colorado and Utah near Salt Lake City. I got a long lecture as well as a ticket from an Illinois State Trooper for going 55 in a 50 mph highway in northern Illinois. Only to have everyone passing me going 85 in a 65 zone about 5 miles down the road closer to Chicago. I used to try to get a business card from a police chief in Texas whenever I had to go there and place the card in front of my license in my wallet. :D The Wyoming highway patrolman was pretty easy going.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:14 pm
wyokie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm This past summer my dad got a speeding ticket in a rural part of eastern Colorado for 13 MPH over the speed limit.
As you go from state to state, rules of the road change. I try to avoid Colorado and Utah near Salt Lake City. I got a long lecture as well as a ticket from an Illinois State Trooper for going 55 in a 50 mph highway in northern Illinois. Only to have everyone passing me going 85 in a 65 zone about 5 miles down the road closer to Chicago. I used to try to get a business card from a police chief in Texas whenever I had to go there and place the card in front of my license in my wallet. :D The Wyoming highway patrolman was pretty easy going.
No kidding. LOL I kinda noticed. What the heck were you doing in southern Wyoming?

Also, I assume you're from Hawaii on this question, have you ever travelled on a road where there's icy conditions on it? Once you hit that ice, it's Ice Capades time and not in a good way either. :lol: :lol:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

wyokie wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:23 pm No kidding. LOL I kinda noticed. What the heck were you doing in southern Wyoming?

Also, I assume you're from Hawaii on this question, have you ever travelled on a road where there's icy conditions on it? Once you hit that ice, it's Ice Capades time and not in a good way either. :lol: :lol:
In my original post, I was just passing through Wyoming, never spent adequate time. Had work on the East Coast that was going to last a year. On my way back I did stop in Laramie because I wanted to see what the people were like but I didn't stay long enough. About a year ago, I did play craps with a guy from Sheridan who drove 11 hours to Reno. Had a cool demeanor like Robert Redford in Horse Whisperer.

I like travelling and have lived in Madison, WI for a while. Winters are about as bad although I don't think it has the direct artic blast. My 4X4 wouldn't stop at times when the road was iced. During the first game of the Wisconsin Badgers game in September, the ice had melted from the medial strip and frozen solid over the highway by 4pm because of the shade which caused by 4X4 to fishtail. I always drove carefully more for the other motorists than myself. I started this thread because of the news of the artic blast this year and how I always seemed to meet the best people when people are in need especially during harsh winters. Wondered if you and your family experienced the same.

Yeah, from the islands but the aloha spirit is alive and well elsewhere especially when people are in need.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:26 pm
wyokie wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:23 pm No kidding. LOL I kinda noticed. What the heck were you doing in southern Wyoming?

In my original post, I was just passing through Wyoming, never spent adequate time. Had work on the East Coast that was going to last a year. On my way back I did stop in Laramie because I wanted to see what the people were like but I didn't stay long enough. About a year ago, I did play craps with a guy from Sheridan who drove 11 hours to Reno. Had a cool demeanor like Robert Redford in Horse Whisperer.

I like travelling and have lived in Madison, WI for a while. Winters are about as bad although I don't think it has the direct artic blast. My 4X4 wouldn't stop at times when the road was iced. During the first game of the Wisconsin Badgers game in September, the ice had melted from the medial strip and frozen solid over the highway by 4pm because of the shade which caused by 4X4 to fishtail. I always drove carefully more for the other motorists than myself. I started this thread because of the news of the artic blast this year and how I always seemed to meet the best people when people are in need especially during harsh winters. Wondered if you and your family experienced the same.

Yeah, from the islands but the aloha spirit is alive and well elsewhere especially when people are in need.
Wyoming is the same way just as long as you DON'T root for BYU aka "the Evil Empire" or for Fort Fart (the stench is super hilariously bad from there) :roll: !!!!

Once while living in Casper, WYOMING, my mom, myself and her best friend were planning to go to the mall (remember this is mid '80s) but the back alley where the garage is was full of snow after a big snow. Well, a bunch of local college kids from Casper College (junior college) helped us get outta the alley (Ma had a Capri) to go to the mall. It was a sunny day and for once, the wind wasn't blowing which was amazing!!! :roll:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I enjoyed vacationing in Wyoming. I can see the student life to be quite enjoyable except when it's lower than 40 degree :lol: the natural beauty and roaming wildlife is awesome. People are also warm & friendly (even with me wearing Hawaii gear) :wink:

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:29 pm I enjoyed vacationing in Wyoming. I can see the student life to be quite enjoyable except when it's lower than 40 degree :lol: the natural beauty and roaming wildlife is awesome. People are also warm & friendly (even with me wearing Hawaii gear) :wink:
The reason people were O.K. with you wearing Hawaii stuff. We can actually beat Hawaii.

Kids for the most part love winters in Wyoming. All forms of skiing is enjoyed in the Cowboy State. Plus people can make snowmen/women or have snowball fights. People did go hunting when it's below 40 degrees. Just dress in layers and drink lots of coffee or hot cocoa.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I don't follow weather news that much but I noticed today that they closed I-80 in Wyoming. This winter storm is something else.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... 892b37b524
That makes me wonder how the 18 wheelers get their goods to market.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:12 am I don't follow weather news that much but I noticed today that they closed I-80 in Wyoming. This winter storm is something else.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... 892b37b524
That makes me wonder how the 18 wheelers get their goods to market.
I'm amazed as well. Truckers don't get paid like they should. In my opinion, truckers are the unsung heroes of this country....or for any other country for that matter.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Unbelievable that an SUV could pull an 18 wheeler out of snow in Wyoming.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... 24d16e2c7b