Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

NorthEast wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 pm @HS Football Fanatic there wasn’t any significant injuries. I’m not familiar with whose the starters for kamehameha are, but they didn’t look like a #1 ranked team on either side of the ball. Kahuku moved the ball at will on offense. Looks like kahuku has a well balanced team this year on offense! Defense looks solid as always they picked Kam off a few times. Can’t wait to see a full on game they look like they’re ready and hungry!
@NorthEast: Today's paper said none of Kamehameha's starters played. So, that's why they didn't look like #1; #1 was warming the bench. And, I support that move by Kamehameha HC Maafala 100%. Indeed, a "full-on" game between the two schools' starting units would be something to behold. Both schools are usually run-oriented, but this year both schools can throw the ball as well. Kahuku picked-off Kamehameha a few times? It wasn't Kamehameha's starting QB whom they picked-off. Meanwhile, Kamehameha's D picked-off the starting QBs of Punahou and St Louis. So, Kamehameha's starting unit can tell Kahuku, "Bring it on, dude. We think we can match you, score for score." But, Kamehameha has to get to States to say that. Obviously, Kahuku has an unfair advantage in getting there: 1.) They don't have to get past St Louis to get to States, and 2.) OIA Open gets more than one school.

For Kamehameha, Punahou is nothing to sneeze at, either. They lost to St Louis by only 6, and had the ball on what appeared to be the last possession, until St Louis intercepted. I think the only school in OIA Open that Kahuku has to worry about is Mililani. And, even if they lose to Mililani, they can still make States. Kamehameha might say, "Hey, that sucks; that's not fair". But, no one said life is fair.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:14 am Right, it's just a scrimmage. Beneficial to both teams. Forgot that Coach Reggie Torres was asst.AD at Kamehameha. That guy is pure success when it comes to football. Too bad for DOE.
Anyway, great work for Kamehameha back ups. This would be needed for the future.
@TheNewNORM: Torres sure gets around. I mean, he was an AC at Punahou some six years ago or so, and now he's assistant AD at Kamehameha? Plus, those two schools are rivals of Kahuku, which he not only coached in several sports, but is also an alumnus of.
I wouldn't say Kamehameha's relievers did "great work", but at the same time, they were playing against what I'd assume were the starters of one of the Top 5 schools in the state, at least for the first half. Good experience for those relievers, though, for sure.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:51 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:14 am Right, it's just a scrimmage. Beneficial to both teams. Forgot that Coach Reggie Torres was asst.AD at Kamehameha. That guy is pure success when it comes to football. Too bad for DOE.
Anyway, great work for Kamehameha back ups. This would be needed for the future.
@TheNewNORM: Torres sure gets around. I mean, he was an AC at Punahou some six years ago or so, and now he's assistant AD at Kamehameha? Plus, those two schools are rivals of Kahuku, which he not only coached in several sports, but is also an alumnus of.
I wouldn't say Kamehameha's relievers did "great work", but at the same time, they were playing against what I'd assume were the starters of one of the Top 5 schools in the state, at least for the first half. Good experience for those relievers, though, for sure.
I know Kahuku fans were upset when he left for Punahou. Some of them even formed a mob outside his house one day, demanding answers as to why he left.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:51 pm
I know Kahuku fans were upset when he left for Punahou. Some of them even formed a mob outside his house one day, demanding answers as to why he left.
@ChadFukuoka: That sucks. I mean, this is America. Torres can coach at any school that will have him. I get that many Kahuku alumni would be pissed that a fellow Kahuku alumnus would coach at a rival school like Punahou. But, not that you create a mob outside his home. I mean, that obviously crosses a line. Nor does Torres have any obligation to tell anyone (except Punahou School) why he left Kahuku High. He had an obligation to tell Punahou School because if they're going to hire him as an AC (and, they did), they certainly had a right to know. If you ask me, what that mob did was a black eye on Kahuku alumni (assuming they were alumni) and, by extension, the school. The school itself may have had nothing to do with it, but people judge a school by its alumni. It's one of those things. I get that Kahuku alumni want their alma mater to do well in football, but you should carry things only so far. It's not the end of the world that Torres is helping coach a rival school. Wasn't there some bad blood when Torres left Kahuku High? Did Torres take the AC job at Punahou School to spite the Kahuku Athletic Dept? I don't know. Still, beyond that, Kahuku alumni have a duty not to sully their alma mater by behaving boorishly. They should also consider that they should set a good example for the current students of the school. Sometimes, people need to think twice before they do something.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

OK, there was no mob at Torres house. The school admin
wanted to play power trip and made new rules to get coaches to apply and interview for their jobs. No other school does it. So Torres was gone and the school picked a haole from Idaho? 2013.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:54 pm OK, there was no mob at Torres house. The school admin
wanted to play power trip and made new rules to get coaches to apply and interview for their jobs. No other school does it. So Torres was gone and the school picked a haole from Idaho? 2013.
@TheNewNORM: Yes, I remember that. It was a lady principal, right? Well, now I'm feeling more sympathetic towards Torres. It's amazing what a tremendous impact a school's Administration can have on the morale of school staff. So important to vet a principal from all angles. Some administrators want to take a wrecking ball to established procedures and protocols that school staff have come to know. (By "school staff", I'm including coaches of sports teams, even those who aren't teachers at the school. If they serve the school in some official capacity, even as an assistant coach, that's "staff", right?)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

It's kind of disappointing that we didn't win a state title while Reggie was one of our assistants.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:54 pm OK, there was no mob at Torres house. The school admin
Oh. I heard the story about the mob from a few people after he left for Punahou. I guess those were just rumors then.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:06 pm It's kind of disappointing that we didn't win a state title while Reggie was one of our assistants.
@gopunahou: As a disliker of Punahou School, I hate to say this, but the way Punahou played Friday night, winning a state title this year might not be totally out of the question. Yes, they'll have to beat both Kamehameha and St Louis in the ILH tourney, but with Punahou's D, again, it might not be entirely out of the question. That's even without Sagapolutele. If he returns, Punahou's chances are even better. I do hope Punahou loses the first game of the ILH tourney, but they very well might not.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

Kamehameha over St.Louis
Mililani over Waianae
Kahuku over Kapolei
Campbell over Farrington
Pearl City over Kalaheo
Kamehameha-Hawaii over Kau
Honokaa over Kohala
Hawaii Prep over Pahoa
Kaiser over Kalani
Radford over Kaimuki
Waialua over McKinley
Kapaa over Waimea

1-0 last week. 13-3 season to date. Probably go downhill from here on in with the OIA,Hawaii,and Kauai all back to football competition this week. Maui teams begin play on the October 22 weekend.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@unpaid:
Just wondering: Is there any specific reason(s) why you picked Kamehameha over St Louis, or is it just because you had Kamehameha ranked above St Louis?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If St. Louis were to lose Friday, they’d be behind the 8 ball. It would require four matchups with and two consecutive victories over KSK to win the ILH.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Well, if St Louis has a stronger incentive to win, I'm wondering why unpaid predicts Kamehameha will beat them. I mean, I hope they do, but you have to have a specific reason or reasons, right? Hope alone isn't enough; both schools hope to win. What specific thing or things does he think will decide it?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Speed.Kamehameha’s speed on defense is good enough to give St.Louis’ OL problems protecting the QB. See first STL-KSK game.

Coaching. OC Borengasser has Kamehameha scoring on offense at a much improved pace. DC Wright is good at adjustments.
See first STL-KSK game.

Penalties. They are in STL’s DNA. When the Crusaders are in a close game,they revert to type...get physical.Except the players don’t seem to me to be able to control the aggression which in turn leads to the penalty yardage. If you take the yardage STL gets on offense and subtract the penalty yardage from the offensive yardage,then you see how much STL hurts themselves by penalties. Play aggressive but smarter on defense. See first STL-KSK game.

STL isn’t blowing out opponents,so penalties are critical for this 2021 version of the Crusaders.

In a close game,the breaks might go STL’s way this week. If KSK loses this week,I think it actually would spur KSK’s OC and DC to plan for the ILH championship game,of course,not forgetting they would have to get past No.3 seed Punahou first. If Kamehameha wins,then they get the bye into the championship game and two weeks of uninterrupted planning and practice against either Punahou or St.Louis.

In the long run,I like Kamehameha’s chances of advancing to states.
Last edited by unpaid on Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One thing favoring St. Louis is the fact that they heavily outgained KSK but lost because of the turnovers. Should that happen again, Kamehameha will need at least two turnovers and none themselves. They'll also need their receivers to catch the type of balls they caught against us (when they were in 3rd-and-long situations but managed to convert and wind up scoring TDs).