Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:42 pm

I think it’s neighborhood board.
@ChadFukuoka: Oh, yeah, you're probably right. Iolani School is right next to the Royal Iolani twin condo towers, and the residents of those towers raised a big stink back in the '80s about noise coming from the school. They even complained about the band practicing for football halftime performances. McKinley High more recently ran into conflict with the Moana Pacific twin condo towers, which are right across the street from the school's new football field, which was completed only about three or four years ago. McKinley High wanted to have a lit stadium and night games at the field, but Moana Pacific residents complained that there'd be on-street parking issues. To this day, McKinley High doesn't have a lit stadium, and has no night games.
Believe me, for many reasons, I'd love to see Punahou play night games. I also know the reasons behind it not happening. However, I don't understand how Castle and Mililani can play night games while we can't.
@gopunahou: Well, if you look at Mililani High's stadium, it's not really that close to homes. It's near the front of the school, and there's a large, landscaped area between their stadium and a very wide highway. And, even across the highway, the homes are quite a distance back of the highway, and there's a high wall in front of them. As for Castle High, yeah, there are homes right on the other side of the fence that encloses their stadium. I guess the Kaneohe community that immediately surrounds Castle High is a bit more "country/rural friendly" and laid-back. By contrast, the upper Makiki community immediately surrounding Punahou School is more upscale, and are more vocal when things--(like noisy high school football games at night)--don't sit well with them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:07 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm

@ChadFukuoka: Oh, yeah, you're probably right. Iolani School is right next to the Royal Iolani twin condo towers, and the residents of those towers raised a big stink back in the '80s about noise coming from the school. They even complained about the band practicing for football halftime performances. McKinley High more recently ran into conflict with the Moana Pacific twin condo towers, which are right across the street from the school's new football field, which was completed only about three or four years ago. McKinley High wanted to have a lit stadium and night games at the field, but Moana Pacific residents complained that there'd be on-street parking issues. To this day, McKinley High doesn't have a lit stadium, and has no night games.
Believe me, for many reasons, I'd love to see Punahou play night games. I also know the reasons behind it not happening. However, I don't understand how Castle and Mililani can play night games while we can't.
Most of the OIA schools have lights. Aiea, Leilehua, Campbell, Pearl City, Waipahu, Kapolei, Kaiser, Roosevelt, Kailua, Kahuku, Farrington all have lights. I think McKinley might be the only OIA school with their own field that doesn’t have lights. I can’t think of any others.
@ChadFukuoka: Kalaheo High, Kaimuki High, and Kalani High all have no lights. Well, at the same time, none of those three schools really have stadiums; their fields are literally just that: Fields. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, at least two of those schools don't even have any bleachers.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:42 pm
Most of the OIA schools have lights. Aiea, Leilehua, Campbell, Pearl City, Waipahu, Kapolei, Kaiser, Roosevelt, Kailua, Kahuku, Farrington all have lights. I think McKinley might be the only OIA school with their own field that doesn’t have lights. I can’t think of any others.
@ChadFukuoka: Kalaheo High, Kaimuki High, and Kalani High all have no lights. Well, at the same time, none of those three schools really have stadiums; their fields are literally just that: Fields. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, at least two of those schools don't even have any bleachers.
I don’t believe any of those schools play at home. Kalaheo plays at either Castle or Kailua, Kalani plays at Kaiser, and Kaimuki plays at either Roosevelt or Farrington, if I’m not mistaken.

So I guess every OIA school that is able to host games with crowds has lights.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 7, St. Louis 0

We avoided a disastrous start and only needed a minute and a half to score. We made that 1st drive look easy.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Our defense managed to stop St. Louis, even though we surrendered a big play. We do a good job of pressuring quarterbacks. Forcing incompletions is another thing.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:44 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:42 pm

I don’t believe any of those schools play at home. Kalaheo plays at either Castle or Kailua, Kalani plays at Kaiser, and Kaimuki plays at either Roosevelt or Farrington, if I’m not mistaken.

So I guess every OIA school that is able to host games with crowds has lights.
@ChadFukuoka: OK; that's right. Kalaheo High does play its home games at Kailua High stadium, and Kaimuki High plays its home games at Farrington High stadium, I believe.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

End of the 1st quarter, 7 all

We avoided the ugly, disastrous 1st quarter that doomed us in our first matchup with St. Louis. We also stopped them twice, which is an improvement.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

St. Louis 20, Punahou 14 halftime

All we need are two more touchdowns and a shutout to make TheNewNORM's prediction come true. To make that happen, we've gotta cut down on the big plays from St. Louis. Our last two defensive stands have gotta be the norm for the rest of the night. We were also lucky that Bianco's last pass was not a big play.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I can't believe how many PIs St. Louis is committing. Even though they'll likely win this game, this is something they gotta address. I think they've committed four PIs on one possession, including back to back plays.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 2-1
2.St.Louis 2-2 Beat Punahou.
3.Kahuku 0-0
4.Mililani 0-0
5.Punahou 1-3 Lost to St.Louis.
6.Iolani 6-0
7.Campbell 0-0
8.Farrington 0-0
9.Hilo 0-0
10.Lahainaluna 0-0

A little early, but when there is only one varsity game in the entire state , there is not that much to decide.

St.Louis 2021 is not like the 2019 team.Crusaders have two losses,and when they win,it’s not a blowout.

Wonder if Iolani tries to get a game against Kamehameha,Punahou,or St.Louis before states?An OIA Open team would be a good challenge,too.

Really hope the media sent staff to cover that Kamehameha-Kahuku scrimmage.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:32 am Updated Top Ten,

1.Kamehameha 2-1
2.St.Louis 2-2 Beat Punahou.
3.Kahuku 0-0
4.Mililani 0-0
5.Punahou 1-3 Lost to St.Louis.
6.Iolani 6-0
7.Campbell 0-0
8.Farrington 0-0
9.Hilo 0-0
10.Lahainaluna 0-0

A little early, but when there is only one varsity game in the entire state , there is not that much to decide.

St.Louis 2021 is not like the 2019 team.Crusaders have two losses,and when they win,it’s not a blowout.

Wonder if Iolani tries to get a game against Kamehameha,Punahou,or St.Louis before states?An OIA Open team would be a good challenge,too.

Really hope the media sent staff to cover that Kamehameha-Kahuku scrimmage.
I'd love to see us at least scrimmage against Iolani for old time's sake. We are their biggest rival.

Anyway, as with last week's game, there was one area that hurt St. Louis. Last week it was turnovers; tonight it was penalties. They had four PIs (could've been five had there been different refs) on one possession, including back-to-back plays.

As for us, I hope that JK didn't suffer a season-ending injury. We've already dealt with losing QB to a devastating injury two years ago. Though JK's replacement was pretty solid, though he was aided by PIs on the SLS secondary.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Hope Sagapolutele can play next game. He and McCutcheon have potential at the NCAA level I think.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 am Hope Sagapolutele can play next game. He and McCutcheon have potential at the NCAA level I think.
So do I. It helps that we’ve got a bye week.

If McCutcheon is the starter after JK graduates, he’ll enter a more than favorable situation, as many of our best skill players are sophomores.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

My 48 pt. Over/under was spot on, but my placement and Sagapoluteles injury was not.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

The number 1 team scrimmaging Kahuku in mid season is NotNorm. Hope Maafala hold back his key players. Would be good to see Kaluna/Kanoa-Tangaro tandem in the Kahuku backfield. Dont expect any special fireworks, just a lot of pent up hitting.