Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by gopunahou »

I don't think our FB numbers are as low as they were in the late 90s and early 2000s and hope that don't reach that nadir.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:14 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:24 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 am

You’d think if a school can field an intermediate team, they would also have enough players for JV. I’m guessing some of the intermediate players who were good, moved up to Varsity in their freshman or sophomore years. Leaving less than the amount of players required to field a JV team.

I’m not completely sure, but I believe St Louis’ JV team wasn’t very good in the past few years, despite their varsity team dominating, because a lot of the intermediate players went straight to varsity. So maybe there’s more of a pipeline from intermediate to varsity if you’re talented.
@ChadFukuoka:

I think Punahou School was the first major ILH football power to not field a JV. Yet, they had Intermediate. Perhaps they didn't have many Sophs, but enough Frosh and 8th-graders? I don't know.

I doubt that St Louis School's JV sucked. I can't remember the last time their JV sucked.
I just checked St Louis’ JV records. You’re right, I must have confused them for someone else. I believe the St Louis 2 QB is the brother of the Punahou starting QB? Same last name, so I’d assume they’re related? I wonder what caused them to end up at different, rival schools.
He is the brother. There was a story in Hawaiiprepworld that talked about it.

We've had players whose brothers attended rival schools before. Kalama Chung played for us at the same time his brother played for Kamehameha.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

This isn’t related to high school football here in Hawaii, but did anyone hear about Chandler (Arizona) coming back to defeat Bishop Gorman 25-24? Chandler was down 24-7 with 1:10 left in the 4th. They kick a field goal to make it 24-10, recover an onside kick, score with around 30 seconds left, recover a second onside kick, score with 8 seconds left, convert the 2 point conversion for the win. Both onside kicks were short ground ball type squib kicks. Bishop Gorman just didn’t fall on the ball or be aggressive enough in diving to the ground to recover either kick. The highlights are on YouTube. Apparently, the game was televised on ESPNU yesterday late afternoon I believe.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka: Well, if that is true, that has to be the upset of the century. For any school to score 18 points against a strong school like Bishop Gorman with just 1:10 left in the game, and beat them by 1 point, well, that says it all. That's even more amazing than Hilo High beating Iolani School for the state D1 title two years ago. It was a 50+(!)-yard FG attempt; the ball bounced on the crossbar, but fell THROUGH, with less than 8 seconds left in the game. It's not like the ball hit the crossbar with force, and simply sped-on past it. When the ball hit the crossbar, it hit it only feebly, as the ball barely got there. The ball bounced up slightly, and barely tipped forward and over; it could just as easily have tipped backward. Talk about the saying, "Well, that's the way the ball bounces." By that point, the clock had run-out, and the game was over. Hilo High won by that FG, three points, as the score had been tied. That was the D1 State title game. Hilo High's players stormed the field in joy and amazement. Iolani alumni must have been beside themselves with anger and frustration. In a word, they must have been royally pissed. Or, perhaps they may have been numb and in shock. They must have been like, "What the hell did we just see?!" I can't even begin to imagine how Iolani HC Wendell Look must have felt. Not only was he Iolani's coach; he's an Iolani alumnus. I felt sorry for him, honestly, even though I don't care for Iolani School. So, even though I'm not a Hilo alumnus, I was very glad they won, as you might imagine.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:17 pm @ChadFukuoka: Well, if that is true, that has to be the upset of the century. For any school to score 18 points against a strong school like Bishop Gorman with just 1:10 left in the game, and beat them by 1 point, well, that says it all. That's even more amazing than Hilo High beating Iolani School for the state D1 title two years ago. It was a 50+(!)-yard FG attempt; the ball bounced on the crossbar, but fell THROUGH, with less than 8 seconds left in the game. It's not like the ball hit the crossbar with force, and simply sped-on past it. When the ball hit the crossbar, it hit it only feebly, as the ball barely got there. The ball bounced up slightly, and barely tipped forward and over; it could just as easily have tipped backward. Talk about the saying, "Well, that's the way the ball bounces." By that point, the clock had run-out, and the game was over. Hilo High won by that FG, three points, as the score had been tied. That was the D1 State title game. Hilo High's players stormed the field in joy and amazement. Iolani alumni must have been beside themselves with anger and frustration. In a word, they must have been royally pissed. Or, perhaps they may have been numb and in shock. They must have been like, "What the hell did we just see?!" I can't even begin to imagine how Iolani HC Wendell Look must have felt. Not only was he Iolani's coach; he's an Iolani alumnus. I felt sorry for him, honestly, even though I don't care for Iolani School. So, even though I'm not a Hilo alumnus, I was very glad they won, as you might imagine.
I guess Iolani fans were disappointed at the ending, no one likes losing. But at least Iolani had dominated D2 for several years before that, so their fans do have those state titles and ILH titles to feel proud.

Hilo also had a previous state title, I think they defeated Damien in the title game a little while back.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:17 pm @ChadFukuoka: Well, if that is true, that has to be the upset of the century. For any school to score 18 points against a strong school like Bishop Gorman with just 1:10 left in the game, and beat them by 1 point, well, that says it all. That's even more amazing than Hilo High beating Iolani School for the state D1 title two years ago. It was a 50+(!)-yard FG attempt; the ball bounced on the crossbar, but fell THROUGH, with less than 8 seconds left in the game. It's not like the ball hit the crossbar with force, and simply sped-on past it. When the ball hit the crossbar, it hit it only feebly, as the ball barely got there. The ball bounced up slightly, and barely tipped forward and over; it could just as easily have tipped backward. Talk about the saying, "Well, that's the way the ball bounces." By that point, the clock had run-out, and the game was over. Hilo High won by that FG, three points, as the score had been tied. That was the D1 State title game. Hilo High's players stormed the field in joy and amazement. Iolani alumni must have been beside themselves with anger and frustration. In a word, they must have been royally pissed. Or, perhaps they may have been numb and in shock. They must have been like, "What the hell did we just see?!" I can't even begin to imagine how Iolani HC Wendell Look must have felt. Not only was he Iolani's coach; he's an Iolani alumnus. I felt sorry for him, honestly, even though I don't care for Iolani School. So, even though I'm not a Hilo alumnus, I was very glad they won, as you might imagine.
I guess Iolani fans were disappointed at the ending, no one likes losing. But at least Iolani had dominated D2 for several years before that, so their fans do have those state titles and ILH titles to feel proud.

Hilo also had a previous state title, I think they defeated Damien in the title game a little while back.
I know one Iolani fan who felt much better the following night. And if Look thinks that Iolani would have belonged in D2 (if it existed in the 90s) and shouldn't have played St. Louis, Punahou, and Kamehameha in the 90s, he deserves to have that happen to him.

Speaking as somebody who remembers the 90s as well as one can, I think the only team Iolani can't hang with this year is St. Louis. Sound familiar? Because that was the case in the 90s. Iolani even notched a victory over St. Louis in the 90s, something Damien and Pac-Five can't say. Hell, in the 90s Iolani had a much better record against us and Kamehameha (9-11 and 8-11-1, respectively) than did Pac-Five (2-16-2 and 3-17, respectively) and Damien (4-16 and 4-17, respectively).

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 1-1 Beat Punahou.
2.Kahuku 0-0 In lockdown.
3.Punahou 1-1 Lost to St.Louis.
4.Mililani 0-0 In lockdown.
5.Campbell 0-0 In lockdown.
6.Iolani 4-0 shutout win over PAC-5.
7.Farrington 0-0 In lockdown.
8.Hilo 0-0 In lockdown.
9.Lahainaluna 0-0 In lockdown.
10.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP.

Interesting week coming up. Presumably,public school player vaccinations will be tallied up. Will some teams fold because they don’t have enough players inoculated? Hawaii is over 500 new cases and 9 deaths both daily. Is the DOE going to postpone public schools football season again? Let’s see if the public schools are allowed to begin practice next week.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

It's not just that they lost; it's how they lost: In the dramatic, improbable fashion I had described. Not only that; Iolani was ahead most of the game. And, Hilo had to gain quite a bit of yardage on the previous two plays just to get the ball to where it was on the FG attempt. There were only 8 seconds left, so they couldn't run another play to try to get closer to the goalposts. It was make that FG, or the game would go to OT.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 am

I know one Iolani fan who felt much better the following night. And if Look thinks that Iolani would have belonged in D2 (if it existed in the 90s) and shouldn't have played St. Louis, Punahou, and Kamehameha in the 90s, he deserves to have that happen to him.

Speaking as somebody who remembers the 90s as well as one can, I think the only team Iolani can't hang with this year is St. Louis. Sound familiar? Because that was the case in the 90s. Iolani even notched a victory over St. Louis in the 90s, something Damien and Pac-Five can't say. Hell, in the 90s Iolani had a much better record against us and Kamehameha (9-11 and 8-11-1, respectively) than did Pac-Five (2-16-2 and 3-17, respectively) and Damien (4-16 and 4-17, respectively).
@gopunahou: Well, I really think Look was crushed when Hilo's FG attempt succeeded. There really should have been no way Iolani was supposed to lose that game; they had been ahead almost the entire game, for one. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, Hilo made three big plays in a row to win, none bigger than that 50+ yard FG as time expired.
Finally, come-on; there is no way Iolani can hang with Punahou's Open team or Kamehameha's Open team. Iolani would lose to all three ILH Open teams. All three are too strong, too big, and too talented for Iolani School to match. Specifically, there's no way Iolani's smallish O-line would survive the D-lines of the three ILH Open teams; their O-line would get steamrolled.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:19 am Updated Top Ten,

1.St.Louis 1-1 Beat Punahou.
2.Kahuku 0-0 In lockdown.
3.Punahou 1-1 Lost to St.Louis.
4.Mililani 0-0 In lockdown.
5.Campbell 0-0 In lockdown.
6.Iolani 4-0 shutout win over PAC-5.
7.Farrington 0-0 In lockdown.
8.Hilo 0-0 In lockdown.
9.Lahainaluna 0-0 In lockdown.
10.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP.

Interesting week coming up. Presumably,public school player vaccinations will be tallied up. Will some teams fold because they don’t have enough players inoculated? Hawaii is over 500 new cases and 9 deaths both daily. Is the DOE going to postpone public schools football season again? Let’s see if the public schools are allowed to begin practice next week.
@unpaid:

1. I noticed that you ranked Punahou above Mililani, and I would tend to agree. OC16 has Mililani ranked above Punahou. I don't like Punahou School, so I hope Mililani High is better. But, I doubt it. Might be close, though.
2. Something tells me the OIA will start. If they weren't, I think they would have announced it by now.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:57 pm

@gopunahou: Well, I really think Look was crushed when Hilo's FG attempt succeeded. There really should have been no way Iolani was supposed to lose that game; they had been ahead almost the entire game, for one. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, Hilo made three big plays in a row to win, none bigger than that 50+ yard FG as time expired.
Finally, come-on; there is no way Iolani can hang with Punahou's Open team or Kamehameha's Open team. Iolani would lose to all three ILH Open teams. All three are too strong, too big, and too talented for Iolani School to match. Specifically, there's no way Iolani's smallish O-line would survive the D-lines of the three ILH Open teams; their O-line would get steamrolled.
I wonder if choosing to play in D2 affected the players that Iolani has gotten since then. Although I wasn’t old enough to have watched football in the 90’s, it seems like Iolani had more size and better recruits back in that era. Maybe they were getting better players because they were competing against the likes of St Louis, Kamehameha, and Punahou. I believe Iolani is D1 in every other sports besides football, and they compete fairly well in most of them (basketball, soccer, volleyball)

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:07 pm

I wonder if choosing to play in D2 affected the players that Iolani has gotten since then. Although I wasn’t old enough to have watched football in the 90’s, it seems like Iolani had more size and better recruits back in that era. Maybe they were getting better players because they were competing against the likes of St Louis, Kamehameha, and Punahou. I believe Iolani is D1 in every other sports besides football, and they compete fairly well in most of them (basketball, soccer, volleyball)
Are you asking if players like Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki would want to play for Iolani since they are no longer playing against open teams? Good question, because I can only think of two Iolani graduates since 2004 who’ve received D1 offers. They stopped playing the powerhouses on the regular in 2002. Between 1996 and 2003, they had at least one D1 prospect from every class.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Iolani School is truly a conundrum: In just about every sport except football, they're D1. Not only that; they're usually pretty good in almost every sport. Yet, in football they're D1 rather than Open. Let's remember that football is a different animal; only in football is there an Open division; that's the top division in football. So, since Iolani School is in the top division for almost every sport, why aren't they in the top division for football, Open? Here's the only answer I can think of: Only football requires size--not just height, but size; girth--if a school wants to compete with the best Oahu schools. So, while Iolani School has players with the physical characteristics to succeed in just about every sport, they don't have the girth to succeed in football in Open. I mean, look at their vars O-line; it's small. They would get killed if they were in Open. So, I guess we have to live with the frustrating notion that we have to give Iolani School a pass when it comes to football: They get to play in D1 rather than Open, even though they're often near the very top in almost all other sports. I don't really care for Iolani School, so I think that that sucks. Yet, the stubborn fact remains: They usually don't have the girth to play football in Open, and that's true this year, too. Having said that, I think St Louis II has a chance to upset them. Iolani School is riding high in D1 right now, but they haven't played St Louis II yet. I think St Louis II's D-line wants to kick the butts of Iolani's O-line, which is smallish.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:21 am

Are you asking if players like Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki would want to play for Iolani since they are no longer playing against open teams? Good question, because I can only think of two Iolani graduates since 2004 who’ve received D1 offers. They stopped playing the powerhouses on the regular in 2002. Between 1996 and 2003, they had at least one D1 prospect from every class.
@gopunahou: I think you're onto something. We all know that Iolani School has strong academics. However, I'd say that--generally speaking--football players want to win, and they want to win at the highest level (Open). I suspect that blue-chip players at Iolani School are there primarily because their parents want them there, for the academics. I think that if blue-chip players had a choice, they'd play for an Open school. As good as Iolani School is in D1, that's not the top division. So, if a blue-chip player plays for Iolani School, OK, that school is good in D1. But he might think, why not play for an Open school? If I play for Iolani School, people might say, "OK, you guys were good, but that's only D1". That's a slight. On the other hand, Open schools command instant respect as far as football is concerned. No one can say anything when you're playing in the very top, elite division. Even if you're playing for an Open school that might not be near the top of that division, you can still say, "Hey, I'm playing in the top division. Even if my school isn't near the top, at least no one can say we suck. Most guys respect all Open teams, because we're in the top, toughest division. Even though my school's record may not be the best, guys know that's because the schools we play in our division have the biggest, toughest, and most-talented teams."

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks this week,

St.Louis over Kamehameha
Iolani over Damien
Kamehameha II over PAC-5

2-1 last week, 8-1 on the season.