UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field - But No Fans For Now

Post by EITSwarrior »

wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:27 pm
st808 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am i see the ching field being home for the warriors for the next 10 years or more while the state continues to bicker about demolishing the aloha.
Sadly, I could see the MW kicking Hawaii out of the conference due to poor facilities if it turns out that Ching Field becomes a "permanent" thing. Just food for thought. Hope I'm wrong but....
Oh they will.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:34 pm
st808 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am i see the ching field being home for the warriors for the next 10 years or more while the state continues to bicker about demolishing the aloha.
Sadly, I could see the MW kicking Hawaii out of the conference due to poor facilities if it turns out that Ching Field becomes a "permanent" thing. Just food for thought. Hope I'm wrong but....
Oh they will.
Why would they kick us out when they let SJSU stay in the conference for years with their tiny stadium that rarely got half full before their recent success under Brennan. They also like having the extra bowl tie-in the Hawaii Bowl provides. The week zero exemption is also a nice benefit, as is the extra time slot that playing here provides. TV revenue is what drives the conference and as long as Hawaii is paying travel subsidies and is more marketable to tv viewers than the New Mexicos and the Wyomings of the world, they'll have a place in the conference. A sold-out 16000 seat Ching field in 2 years will be way better of a game day experience than the 17k we were getting in a mostly empty Aloha Stadium the last several years and no one was worried about the conference kicking us out then.

I've said this before - much of the embarrassment about the stadium situation is projected onto ourselves, by ourselves. The rest of the world does not care as deeply about the situation as we do.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 pm

Oh they will.
Why would they kick us out when they let SJSU stay in the conference for years with their tiny stadium that rarely got half full before their recent success under Brennan. They also like having the extra bowl tie-in the Hawaii Bowl provides. The week zero exemption is also a nice benefit, as is the extra time slot that playing here provides. TV revenue is what drives the conference and as long as Hawaii is paying travel subsidies and is more marketable to tv viewers than the New Mexicos and the Wyomings of the world, they'll have a place in the conference. A sold-out 16000 seat Ching field in 2 years will be way better of a game day experience than the 17k we were getting in a mostly empty Aloha Stadium the last several years and no one was worried about the conference kicking us out then.

I've said this before - much of the embarrassment about the stadium situation is projected onto ourselves, by ourselves. The rest of the world does not care as deeply about the situation as we do.
If Ching Field is able to get expanded to 16,000. Right now its only 9,000. And honestly I have no idea how they will squeeze in another 7,000.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

poidog wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 pm

Oh they will.

You are kidding right? No stadium to play in, no leadership, bickering, no cohesive strategy and the only school in the nation with no fans in the stands. Recruits, other schools and Conferences do take notice.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

"If Ching Field is able to get expanded to 16,000. Right now its only 9,000. And honestly I have no idea how they will squeeze in another 7,000."

And where will they get the money?

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Now, I think Ige is being the second half of a beef jerky. Matlin's request for 500 fans this week is not unreasonable.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:07 am "If Ching Field is able to get expanded to 16,000. Right now its only 9,000. And honestly I have no idea how they will squeeze in another 7,000."

And where will they get the money?
Mmm, good point

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Family members of current players...along with any potential recruits....are also not allowed to attend home games....which is definitely hurting UH recruiting efforts....not with just out-of-state players & potential recruits.

https://www.khon2.com/sports/governor-d ... ose-state/ https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1438012175704997888 https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1437926166082453508 https://twitter.com/nateadams73/status/1437618220303671302

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

There is no scientific evidence that vaccinated people at a football game will spread the virus.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 pm There is no scientific evidence that vaccinated people at a football game will spread the virus.
Yep.... https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1437975313858793472
kapakahi wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:26 pm https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1437926166082453508

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

UH should consider abandoning to play in Hawaii and just play their home games at Sam Boyd stadium in Vegas just like with New Mexico last year and allow fans into the stadium. Recruits can get invited to watch in person and the cost to fly teams will drop dramatically. There is a strong fan base in Vegas and we would get a lot of fans to watch and hopefully UH can make some money. Unfortunately the players and coaches would be stuck in the mainland until Ige opens up Hawaii.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

couz808 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 am UH should consider abandoning to play in Hawaii and just play their home games at Sam Boyd stadium in Vegas just like with New Mexico last year and allow fans into the stadium. Recruits can get invited to watch in person and the cost to fly teams will drop dramatically. There is a strong fan base in Vegas and we would get a lot of fans to watch and hopefully UH can make some money. Unfortunately the players and coaches would be stuck in the mainland until Ige opens up Hawaii.
that's kind of a good idea if done right. hopefully the ban doesn't extend beyond this week's game.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:56 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:49 pm There is no scientific evidence that vaccinated people at a football game will spread the virus.
Yep....
But what's going to happen is that if UH is allowed to have fans, then every other large gathering-type event is going to point at UH and say "why can they do this and we can't" and no one is going to act in good faith and consider the specifics of what UH is doing and why it should be allowed. If you look at the complaints about the Hilton Hawaiian Village being allowed to host "luaus" while large weddings have not been allowed, it makes complete sense that the luau is allowed because the event is basically a large outdoor restaurant with a theme and entertainment that is following the same guidelines as any other restaurant but those details do not matter to the people who want to make sure that if they can't have their fun that no one else can, either. It will be the same if/when they allow fans back on campus, and if even one person who caught covid at a UH sporting event ends up in the already crowded ICU, there will be a million "told ya so" coming from the peanut gallery. when the ICU numbers go down, I think it'll open up.

Personally, I think they should just let fans back in and deal with the blowback. no matter what the government does or which way they go, someone is going to complain. shut everything down, people complain. open tourism so they don't have to shut down, people complain. ask tourists not to come, people complain. ban fans from UH sports, people complain. and when they open it up but without opening everything else under the sun back up, people will complain about that too... but probably a lot less people.

hospitallizations have dropped over the last few days and it might be a new trend. if that trend holds, maybe we get to go to the next home game in 2 weeks?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:38 am
kapakahi wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:56 pm
Yep....
But what's going to happen is that if UH is allowed to have fans, then every other large gathering-type event is going to point at UH and say "why can they do this and we can't" and no one is going to act in good faith and consider the specifics of what UH is doing and why it should be allowed. If you look at the complaints about the Hilton Hawaiian Village being allowed to host "luaus" while large weddings have not been allowed, it makes complete sense that the luau is allowed because the event is basically a large outdoor restaurant with a theme and entertainment that is following the same guidelines as any other restaurant but those details do not matter to the people who want to make sure that if they can't have their fun that no one else can, either. It will be the same if/when they allow fans back on campus, and if even one person who caught covid at a UH sporting event ends up in the already crowded ICU, there will be a million "told ya so" coming from the peanut gallery. when the ICU numbers go down, I think it'll open up.

Personally, I think they should just let fans back in and deal with the blowback. no matter what the government does or which way they go, someone is going to complain. shut everything down, people complain. open tourism so they don't have to shut down, people complain. ask tourists not to come, people complain. ban fans from UH sports, people complain. and when they open it up but without opening everything else under the sun back up, people will complain about that too... but probably a lot less people.

hospitallizations have dropped over the last few days and it might be a new trend. if that trend holds, maybe we get to go to the next home game in 2 weeks?
This is basically what I tried to tell Tsai in the tweet above. If Twitter didn't have word limits this is what I would have said.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Link https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1438370810419318785 :roll: :waiting: :pray: