Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Open/D-I Top Ten 2021

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:56 pm Well teams do their pre-game testing today and tomorrow. We'll see if they are all good to play.

Personally i think it is a good thing that the ILH is trying to give their student athletes an attempt to go back to a new normal. Covid is here to stay , it is not like it is going to disappear and the only way it will get under control is through immunity whether it is through vax or natural. One of the safest places is actually on these fields. Where else can you go that has a 90+% vax rate, has everyone who isn't vax'd tested 2x a week and has testing prior to playing a inter-school game. If that's not enough then where do you feel safe? People who go out and work and come home think they are safer but do the get tested every week, regardless of immunization they maybe carriers and would only get tested if they think they have symptoms. So what are you going to wait for? How much safer can it get? The DOE sucks because they have the means to do the same but they don't have the manpower to perform which is basically saying that they are too lazy to get something done oj ust keep passing the buck around. The various staff (or their unions)say thats not their job and around and around we go.
BTW the world is flat
@OldManJenkins: Well, but we can't force a new normal; we're not in a position to do so. Delta is just going to sit back and laugh at us. Whether we like it or not, Delta has the upper hand. If COVID is here to stay, then we have to adapt to it; we can't tell COVID to adapt to us. Around the country, and right here in Hawaii, you've got a growing number of high school kids catching Delta, and some of them are becoming seriously ill. Then there's the matter of breakthrough cases. We talk about 90% vax rates, testing, and so on. Yet, look at how many postponements and cancellations of ILH games we've seen already. When are we going to feel "safe"? Possibly never, if Delta sticks around. And of course, the same applies to working adults. I'm not sure we can say, "Well, it can't/won't get much safer than this, so let's go ahead and play". I mean, that's asking for it. Man can't tell Delta, "Kiss our butts". Delta tells us. If we attempt to defy Delta, we will reap the whirlwind. Now, unlike private schools, public schools can't simply say, "Get your shots, or go to some other school". Unlike private schools, public schools are required by law to take all comers. And, I'm not so sure the unions are to blame when it comes to the public schools. You've got HSTA representing teachers, HGEA representing administrators, and UPW representing custodial staff. Members of all three unions are taking tremendous risks working in the public high schools, because the state can't yet require all high school kids to get their shots. Private schools can do that, public schools can't. Teachers, counselors, administrators, and custodians are all on the front lines at public high schools. I'm not sure we can or should disparage them.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:49 pm
OldManJenkins wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:56 pm Well teams do their pre-game testing today and tomorrow. We'll see if they are all good to play.

Personally i think it is a good thing that the ILH is trying to give their student athletes an attempt to go back to a new normal. Covid is here to stay , it is not like it is going to disappear and the only way it will get under control is through immunity whether it is through vax or natural. One of the safest places is actually on these fields. Where else can you go that has a 90+% vax rate, has everyone who isn't vax'd tested 2x a week and has testing prior to playing a inter-school game. If that's not enough then where do you feel safe? People who go out and work and come home think they are safer but do the get tested every week, regardless of immunization they maybe carriers and would only get tested if they think they have symptoms. So what are you going to wait for? How much safer can it get? The DOE sucks because they have the means to do the same but they don't have the manpower to perform which is basically saying that they are too lazy to get something done oj ust keep passing the buck around. The various staff (or their unions)say thats not their job and around and around we go.
BTW the world is flat
@OldManJenkins: Well, but we can't force a new normal; we're not in a position to do so. Delta is just going to sit back and laugh at us. Whether we like it or not, Delta has the upper hand. If COVID is here to stay, then we have to adapt to it; we can't tell COVID to adapt to us. Around the country, and right here in Hawaii, you've got a growing number of high school kids catching Delta, and some of them are becoming seriously ill. Then there's the matter of breakthrough cases. We talk about 90% vax rates, testing, and so on. Yet, look at how many postponements and cancellations of ILH games we've seen already. When are we going to feel "safe"? Possibly never, if Delta sticks around. And of course, the same applies to working adults. I'm not sure we can say, "Well, it can't/won't get much safer than this, so let's go ahead and play". I mean, that's asking for it. Man can't tell Delta, "Kiss our butts". Delta tells us. If we attempt to defy Delta, we will reap the whirlwind. Now, unlike private schools, public schools can't simply say, "Get your shots, or go to some other school". Unlike private schools, public schools are required by law to take all comers. And, I'm not so sure the unions are to blame when it comes to the public schools. You've got HSTA representing teachers, HGEA representing administrators, and UPW representing custodial staff. Members of all three unions are taking tremendous risks working in the public high schools, because the state can't yet require all high school kids to get their shots. Private schools can do that, public schools can't. Teachers, counselors, administrators, and custodians are all on the front lines at public high schools. I'm not sure we can or should disparage them.
Do you feel schools should go back to distance/virtual learning altogether?

I’d argue there are more covid cases from being in classrooms and cafeterias during school hours than from playing or practicing football?

If Campbell HS had 50 cases, that’s just from being in classrooms, in an enclosed environment. Even with mask wearing and socially distanced desks (as best as they can given number of students and classroom space).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: I have mixed feelings about public schools going back to virtual learning. If the COVID cases get way out of hand, then I would support going 100% virtual, but not hybrid learning. My friend who's a teacher said he almost quit when his school went to hybrid, because he had to teach kids in person and online, at the same time. He came that close to quitting, he said.

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Post by OldManJenkins »

First of all, ILH schools are smarter that OIA schools so there is no need to use the DOE as an high standard. A big indicator that is used is transmission rates. Campbell had 50 cases but are they due to a on campus spread or did they get it at home and bring it in? 50 out of 3,000 students is not a high number.
From what I gather the ILH schools are monitoring cases of in school spreading and until they have cases and can't control it their current life goes on. They are actually using science to make sound judgements.
Those that want to shut it all down, what would be the next step? We all go hide in our houses and expect that when numbers come down we can go about like normal? Is that your new Non-forced normal? Not going to happen. It will just stall the numbers and when everything resumes it will be sky high again. Immunity, weather natural or induced is the only way. Why do you think we went from extremely low numbers to high numbers? No natural immunity in the community, not enough spread of the virus to begin with. The virus has a less than 2% mortality rate of those that get infected and even less once you have the vaccine. So in Hawaii we would have expected to have about 20K people die but now with the vaccine and ways to deal with the symptoms the numbers start to drop less. Statistically speaking, are the deaths of 9,000 people (who are sickly in some fashion) worth quality of life for 1.4 Million? If the weak die off won't it make us stronger? I am probably one of the weak but I am not standing in the way of natural selection.
I am not a far right elephant or a donkey but I do follow the science. Don't let people fool you the world is still flat!
Maybe your friend that wanted to quit is partially what's wrong with the DOE???
Well just my views, take it or leave it. Don't care!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@OldManJenkins:
Well, first off, I don't think people appreciate public school teachers enough. Since I have a friend who is one, I've come to appreciate them. I mean, how can we can we cast aspersions on teachers when they have to teach students in-person and on-line, at the same time? Do you realize how difficult that is? You think what's "wrong" with the DOE is having teachers who complain about having to do the impossible?

Science goes only so far when you have a raging epidemic. In such a circumstance, science is damage-control. Again, I don't think it's a good idea to brazenly defy Delta. Many of those who do, have wound-up in ICUs across the country. From their ICU beds, many of them are urging people to get their shots.

Nor can we who are vaccinated, have a brazen attitude. After all, there are increasing numbers of breakthrough cases. It's come to the point where those of us who are vaccinated, will likely need boosters.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to enthusiastically embrace the Darwinian notion of natural selection, or, "only the strong survive." For one thing, that's a very brutalizing viewpoint that can make us callous. That's the kind of viewpoint that can make us say things like, "Don't care!"

Having said all that, I do respect your views, whether I agree with them or not. You have just as much a right to express them as anyone else does theirs.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

PAC-5 leads Damien 21-20 with under 8 minutes in the 4th quarter. PAC-5 very scrappy in the second half, forcing a couple of Damien stops deep in PAC-5 territory. Their QB and running back are scrappy and relentless, always getting hit but coming back for more.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Damien gets a late touchdown to win 27-21. Their defense was able to key in on PAC-5’s QB scrambles to get the final stop.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

@HS Football Fanatic you are a solid guy, much respect to you!
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

Except for the Raiders, these teams seem to have grown a lot since last week. So exciting to see the growth in these young players
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Updated Top Ten,
1.St.Louis 0-1 DNP
2.Kahuku 0-0 In lockdown.
3.Punahou 1-0 DNP
4.Mililani 0-0 In lockdown.
5.Campbell 0-0 In lockdown.
6.Iolani 3-0 beat Kamehameha II.
7.Farrington 0-0 In lockdown.
8.Hilo 0-0 In lockdown.
9.Lahainaluna 0-0 In lockdown.
10.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP.

Are there reasons why D-I and D-II ILH schools have played most of their schedule while the Big Three in the Open can’t seem to avoid canceling due to Covid? Maybe it’s the luck of the draw in this game of Covid roulette we are in. I think if I were at one of the Big Three,I would call Iolani,Damien,and PAC-5 to compare Covid mitigation measures and see if they are doing anything different or better.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:46 am Updated Top Ten,
1.St.Louis 0-1 DNP
3.Punahou 1-0 DNP
8.Hilo 0-0 In lockdown.
10.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP.

Are there reasons why D-I and D-II ILH schools have played most of their schedule while the Big Three in the Open can’t seem to avoid canceling due to Covid? Maybe it’s the luck of the draw in this game of Covid roulette we are in. I think if I were at one of the Big Three,I would call Iolani,Damien,and PAC-5 to compare Covid mitigation measures and see if they are doing anything different or better.
The large size of Punahou and KSK might be factors. The bigger the school, the greater the chances of having at least one COVID-positive student.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

OldManJenkins wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:21 am @HS Football Fanatic you are a solid guy, much respect to you!
@OldManJenkins: Thank you, sir. I was afraid you might harbor some kind of resentment towards me. I'm so relieved to see that you're a generous soul and a good sport. Thank you again, sir! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. By the way, I see that your User Name says, "OldMan". I hope you're as old as I am. I'm in my 60s, and sometimes I feel ridiculous about posting constantly on high school threads. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm being childish or something. I guess the more old guys I see posting on high school sports threads, the better I'll feel.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

1.St.Louis 0-1 DNP
3.Punahou 1-0 DNP
8.Hilo 0-0 In lockdown.
10.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP.

@unpaid: Something tells me it's the luck of the draw. I mean, I know different private schools have different mitigation protocols (unlike public schools, which pretty much all have the same protocols as set forth by the HI DOE). Of course, I don't want any school to have infections. I mean, I don't exactly like Iolani School, for example, but--like any high school--these are teenage kids. I don't want to see kids get infected. In fact, I don't want to see anyone get infected, including adults. Unfortunately, though, I think it's just a matter of time until Iolani School, Damien School, and Pac-5 start seeing cases. Delta is all over Oahu: Up, down, left, right. With the kind of daily new infection rates Oahu has been seeing for the past month, I can't see how any team can avoid infections for long. There are just too many players and coaches at each school, and Delta is simply too rampant. Wouldn't be so bad if there weren't breakthrough cases, but there are; the vaccines aren't perfect.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:27 am
1.St.Louis 0-1 DNP
3.Punahou 1-0 DNP
8.Hilo 0-0 In lockdown.
10.Kamehameha 0-1 DNP.

The large size of Punahou and KSK might be factors. The bigger the school, the greater the chances of having at least one COVID-positive student.
@gopunahou: I guess there is something to be said about a school's size. Campbell High is the largest public high school in the state, and I've heard they have the most cases (50+). However, that provides very little comfort. All the other public high schools are seeing cases of their own. And, even if private schools have higher vax rates than public schools, I think Delta is too omnipresent and contagious to allow any high school, regardless of size, to rest easy. Delta is quietly stalking all high schools, I'm sure; any and all. It's (literally) "something in the air."

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Picks,

St.Louis over Punahou
Iolani over PAC-5
Damien over St.Louis II

2-0 last week.6-0 on the year.

Just waiting on the weekly cancellations to be announced tomorrow or Thursday.