shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: UH Will Play at Ching Field - But No Fans For Now

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:01 am I don't quite understand it. If the new surge is of the unvaccinated and they were going to allow only the vaccinated, then why have no fans? Make them wear masks too, plus it's otdoors. Politicians want to wield their power although what they do makes no sense.
I think what's happening is the flooding of patients into the Oahu hospitals and there's just a few open beds. It's real unfortunate that a lot of the ones that end up in ICU are unvaccinated but a lot of the vaccinated need help in mitigating the virus as well. Hopefully, the hospitals clear up, more people get vaccinated and they're able to open up Ching Field after the Portland State game.

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Post by travo66 »

So now, not only can we NOT go see them in person, but we'll have to pay Spectrum $70 a game to watch? Can't they negotiate a cheaper price or even free if no fans are allowed? Well, I guess last year was the same situation...
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

travo66 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:56 am So now, not only can we NOT go see them in person, but we'll have to pay Spectrum $70 a game to watch? Can't they negotiate a cheaper price or even free if no fans are allowed? Well, I guess last year was the same situation...
I would think they could offer free PPV for those season ticket holders that opt out of taking refunds …

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Evidently no fans for the Sept. 18th San Jose State home game.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/ ... wednesday/
By Star-Advertiser Staff Today Updated 11:43 am

Large gatherings on Oahu will be suspended for four weeks beginning Wednesday, Mayor Rick Blangiardi said today.

Events that will be prohibited include weddings, funerals, sporting events and other attractions.

People will still be able to gather in groups of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:54 pm Evidently no fans for the Sept. 18th San Jose State home game.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/08/ ... wednesday/
By Star-Advertiser Staff Today Updated 11:43 am

Large gatherings on Oahu will be suspended for four weeks beginning Wednesday, Mayor Rick Blangiardi said today.

Events that will be prohibited include weddings, funerals, sporting events and other attractions.

People will still be able to gather in groups of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors.
Just depends on the case counts.
https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1429912555615440896

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

In Tuesday's SA Tsai's editorial takes a stab at the decision makers that are banning fans at UH football games and he is stood up for the UH football program that's going to suffer another financial (and reputation) hit by not having fans.

Tsai writes:

Of 129 D-1 schools UH is the only one not allowing fans at games.

He said that UH fans attending games are vaccinated, wearing masks, non tailgated, concession limited and are in the open air so what is the problem. The odds are just as great (that's his message I read, or interpretted) at the airport and in our schools so if that's the case then the decision makers should look at closing those, too.

My take-THE PUBLIC SEES THAT THE DECISION MAKERS HAVE NO VOTE OF CONFIDENCE IN THE VACCINATION (otherwise why didn't they allow fans at the games)-and what message does that send to the 30-35 percent of Hawaii residents that are non vaccinated. In the course of a 3-3.5 hour game the average fan comes in contact with how many others? Five, ten, fifteen? So what is the big deal, especially if the vaccination has a success rate of, what, 94 percent against catching Covid.

It's sad. There was such a big buildup. Ching Field was coming into focus. There was a lot of rah-rah-rah from the media, players and fans and then the balloon popped. This is disappointing.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

sarvicdar wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:45 am In Tuesday's SA Tsai's editorial takes a stab at the decision makers that are banning fans at UH football games and he is stood up for the UH football program that's going to suffer another financial (and reputation) hit by not having fans.

Tsai writes:

Of 129 D-1 schools UH is the only one not allowing fans at games.

He said that UH fans attending games are vaccinated, wearing masks, non tailgated, concession limited and are in the open air so what is the problem. The odds are just as great (that's his message I read, or interpretted) at the airport and in our schools so if that's the case then the decision makers should look at closing those, too.

My take-THE PUBLIC SEES THAT THE DECISION MAKERS HAVE NO VOTE OF CONFIDENCE IN THE VACCINATION (otherwise why didn't they allow fans at the games)-and what message does that send to the 30-35 percent of Hawaii residents that are non vaccinated. In the course of a 3-3.5 hour game the average fan comes in contact with how many others? Five, ten, fifteen? So what is the big deal, especially if the vaccination has a success rate of, what, 94 percent against catching Covid.

It's sad. There was such a big buildup. Ching Field was coming into focus. There was a lot of rah-rah-rah from the media, players and fans and then the balloon popped. This is disappointing.
I think you are way off. I think they pulled the plug on the first 2 games because it they think it looks really bad and irresponsible if you have a 9000-person gathering while your hospitals are filled to capacity - the optics alone are bad. Also, other canceled gatherings would argue over the fairness of cancelling them while allowing the football game to keep going. If you want to make silly assumptions about the mayor's confidence in the vaccine, that's your business. the real answer is likely MUCH LESS interesting. government is boring and un-fun and careful to a fault.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1433988190210170880 https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1433625799966482432

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1434184480168628229

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:11 pm https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1433988190210170880 https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1433625799966482432
I am just happy that they made it happen. I hope that they have plans to make it better. I have no hope for the new stadium. Not in my lifetime.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

duplicate
Last edited by st808 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

RedZone wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:27 am
uhwarriors wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:11 pm https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1433988190210170880 https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1433625799966482432
I am just happy that they made it happen. I hope that they have plans to make it better. I have no hope for the new stadium. Not in my lifetime.
i see the ching field being home for the warriors for the next 10 years or more while the state continues to bicker about demolishing the aloha.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

st808 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am i see the ching field being home for the warriors for the next 10 years or more while the state continues to bicker about demolishing the aloha.
Sadly, I could see the MW kicking Hawaii out of the conference due to poor facilities if it turns out that Ching Field becomes a "permanent" thing. Just food for thought. Hope I'm wrong but....

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:27 pm
st808 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:48 am i see the ching field being home for the warriors for the next 10 years or more while the state continues to bicker about demolishing the aloha.
Sadly, I could see the MW kicking Hawaii out of the conference due to poor facilities if it turns out that Ching Field becomes a "permanent" thing. Just food for thought. Hope I'm wrong but....
If Ching field becomes permanent, I think they will really upgrade it.
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:29 pm
wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:27 pm
If Ching field becomes permanent, I think they will really upgrade it.
Hope so. Hate to see the Paniolo Trophy series die off again.