UH Men's Basketball 2021

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Basketball, Volleyball, Baseball, and All Other UH Sports
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: UH Men's Basketball 2021

Post by shrek2 »

I don't know who's coaching the bigs for Hawaii but I hope they look at tape. There was no way that Colina should have been up in the air when the center was down on the ground waiting to go up for a shot. Stupid foul at the beginning of the second half giving Colina 3. Then there is no weak side help when the center for Cal Poly is working one-on-one against the UH center. There should have been a guard down low to get the center to kick the ball back out. They can't make the same mistakes against Amadou Sow for UCSB next week. I like the guards attacking the basket but the bigs gotta stay out of foul trouble since there's only two.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I wonder who coaches the bigs. I hope they look at tape because there's no way that Colina should have been caught up in the air when the center was down waiting to go up for a shot. You never leave your feet. This cost Colina his third foul at the beginning of the second half. There was also no help from the guards on the weak side to help out on the Cal Poly center when they get the ball in deep and then its an easy one on one. The good thing about the game was the guards and Jardin driving to the basket. Justin Hemsley was driving as well but his blocks were outstanding for his size. Also his getting the rebound on a free throw by UH was the kind of aggressiveness Hawaii needs. Picking up when Samuta Avea left off.

Oh yeah, how come after all these years of living on this island Artie Wilson doesn't know what pilikia is? :lol:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Hawaii played one of its best games against UCSB. Their defense is probably the best they've had in a long while. Unfortunately, their offense was stifled at the top because they could never work the ball up top because the defense the UCSB guards showed was tough to penetrate. They need to have a big man on top handling the ball. Hopefully, they can maintain the same kind of intensity as Friday night to give UCSB another run on Saturday night and make it close.

If they're going to do better on the rematch, they have to put a body on a body when the ball is put up for a shot. They also have to quit cross court passes.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Great second game against UCSB. Looks like Jardin can take it to the basket as well as anybody. Tough stretch in the end where Bales missed some crucial free throws and Webster drove to the basket without having anybody to pass to so it went out of bounds.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Those scoring droughts are killers.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Wow, UH was lucky to steal one from CSUN. Hawaii had the better team on paper but they played lazy and let CSUN get back into the game. The UH big men did not try to protect the rim when the CSUN guards took the UH guards one on one deep and they were easy baskets for the CSUN guards. Then they didn't chase the guards early on the three point line giving the the guards confidence in hitting the three. Also, Jardin has to take it to the basket when he's 10 feet in and not try to pass the ball to Jean-Marie inside. Jardin looks like he's thinking too much and should have taken the three more often in the first half. When he thinks, he misses.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Really a bad loss by Hawaii against CSUN on the second night. Outcoached and outplayed. I was yelling at the TV to help out on the drives but the guards were taking it in like it was layup practice. Then they left the guards alone on the 3-point line. Maybe Justin Webster was a big loss on the second night but Hawaii was still up by 23 in the first half to have it evaporate to a 10 point loss. The coaches don't seem to teach the concept of time. If the guards are open, they gotta take the three when left alone and only 90 seconds left in the game. Not wait till they're down by 10 and throw up the prayer when down by 10 with 30 seconds. Weak coaching. My neighbors must have thought something was wrong with my yelling. :D

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Justin Hemsley made a big difference in Hawaii beating LBSU. Beating them one game is pretty good because they have a ton of talent. Justin Webster is money on the drives. Hawaii did good tonight!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

UH beats LBSU in a great school yard game. Gotta give the game ball to Jean-Marie since he got some crucial offensive rebounds and put backs that made a big difference. Since it was senior night, I hope all seniors come back including Colina since he's picking up the game to the point where he might actually have a potential NBA life instead of Aussie pro-football.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Hawaii played one of its most perfect games against Davis with both offense/defense being strong. Couple of things they need to change is to not use the shortest guy on the court throwing the ball in on the offensive side of the court, ie, Jovon McClanahan. Any big man can guard the inbound not allowing too many inbound options. Second somebody has to talk to Madut because he looks like NBA raw talent but he doesn't seem to know when to pass and when to shoot. He's gotta kick it out on the double team drives and take the shot when he's open. Otherwise, seems like Webster and the rest of UH were money on the 3's. Great game!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Second game against UC Davis had some bad calls against UH. I normally don't complain about the officiating especially if the bad calls go both ways. UH did not come out with the same defensive intensity as they have in the past. Also, Davis had some crucial offensive rebounds and their guard Ezra Manjon at 5'11 could drive to the basket and could not be stopped.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Knocked out in the first game by UCR. It's wait till year time. Didn't like the ESPN3 color who said anybody who criticizes Eran Ganot hasn't played the game of basketball or hasn't coached. He's gotta get real and realize its the Sports Editorialist that sell the game and the fans support the game. Without either, you have park basketball where nobody really cares who wins or loses except for the people playing. Also, he asked the play by play guy who spent some time some in Hawaii stupid questions like is it true that everybody in Hawaii wears white pants after a certain holiday I don't remember which holiday. Because Hawaii was losing, I thought, "Really? What a stupid question." Of course there are no stupid questions but it comes really close.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

tough season, tho they had a better record than I thought they would this year. they were seriously outgunned offensively a bunch of times but man, their defense, mental toughness, and pure effort overcame that to get some good wins against tough teams. they had a shot in every game, including the last one. hope all the returnees work on their game a bit for next season, it could be a good one.