UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH football games at Ching field?

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:33 am Did they even pick which plan they were going with?
They haven't even picked which group is going to be the design/build developers yet. Or even passed the measure on which government agency will have overall control through the Hawaii State Legislature, since the politicians screwed it up in last year's session. This is not going to get done in time for the 2023 season. I'd estimate adding about four more years to that, or even more. NIMBY's haven't even had the chance to protest and file lawsuits yet.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:46 pm
Irse wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:33 am Did they even pick which plan they were going with?
They haven't even picked which group is going to be the design/build developers yet. Or even passed the measure on which government agency will have overall control through the Hawaii State Legislature, since the politicians screwed it up in last year's session. This is not going to get done in time for the 2023 season. I'd estimate adding about four more years to that, or even more. NIMBY's haven't even had the chance to protest and file lawsuits yet.
Let’s start a Go Fund me page!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Since its been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'll address why GoFundMe is not a good alternative.
First its not tax deductible, Nakoa is. Second, the last time there was a UH GoFundMe fund raising in 2019, there was less money contributed than the target of 6 or 5 thousand dollars. If you don't itemize on your tax return, $300 is tax deductible. Finally, most people in Hawaii do not have the funds available to make a dent in $6M. Cost of living in Hawaii is the highest in the nation but the people are the happiest in the nation. :D

202Warrior
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 202Warrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 am Since its been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'll address why GoFundMe is not a good alternative.
First its not tax deductible, Nakoa is. Second, the last time there was a UH GoFundMe fund raising in 2019, there was less money contributed than the target of 6 or 5 thousand dollars. If you don't itemize on your tax return, $300 is tax deductible. Finally, most people in Hawaii do not have the funds available to make a dent in $6M. Cost of living in Hawaii is the highest in the nation but the people are the happiest in the nation. :D

Well gosh darn it. How does someone get in touch with Nakoa? I understand we’re not a P5 school with rich donors, but we have to start somewhere. I’m no expert...I just look at problems with the lens of what we can do vs what we can’t do.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

202Warrior wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:08 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 am Since its been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'll address why GoFundMe is not a good alternative.

Well gosh darn it. How does someone get in touch with Nakoa? I understand we’re not a P5 school with rich donors, but we have to start somewhere. I’m no expert...I just look at problems with the lens of what we can do vs what we can’t do.
See topic below
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtop ... =3&t=51320
Quote from Scott on how to contact Nakoa.
Scott wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:24 am Sorry for taking so long to respond, my suggestion is to contact:
1337 Lower Campus Road,
Honolulu, HI 96822
Mailing Address: P O Box 11719, Honolulu, HI 96828
(808) 956-6500 [Main line]
(808) 956-4598
ContactAKA@KoaAnuenue.org

They might have alternate solutions!
*****EDITED BY MODERATORS. KOA ANUENUE LISTED ABOVE IS THE FUNDRAISING ARM FOR THE UH ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. NA KOA FOOTBALL CLUB FUNDRAISES FOR THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM. IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT NA KOA OR WANT TO DONATING DIRECTLY TO THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM, THEIR INFO IS BELOW:*****

https://www.nakoa.org/

Nā Koa Football Club
University of Hawai’i
Office of Intercollegiate Athletics
1337 Lower Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822-2370

Mailing Address:
c/o P. O. Box 11719
Honolulu, HI 96828

Phone: (808) 956-4513
Email: info@nakoa.org

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

if the university started an official fundraiser for the specific purpose of on-campus football, I'd donate in a heartbeat... but I'm just an average person with average income that could probably only donate $100 at the moment (on top of what i regularly donate to AKA plus whatever I spend on season tickets during normal times) - they'd need 50,000 me's to raise $5 million. If they are serious about it, they've got to secure some big sponsors first. Show us that this isn't just a game of chicken meant to scare the stadium authority into fixing some of Aloha Stadium in time for next season.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Self-serving statements from the Gov.....probably because he doesn't have a plan to deal with the State's budget shortfall.... :roll:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/02/ ... 5b4a3bb7bd
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/02/ ... 8c275fcb2f
Last edited by kapakahi on Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:59 am Self-serving statements from the Gov.....probably because he doesn't have a plan to deal with the State's budget shortfall.... :roll:
I read that earlier this morning and I’m like WTF. Of all the times to make that statement..... now is the absolute worst. This is punting on 4th and inches on the opponent 35 yard line down by a FG with less than 5 minutes in the game. What are you doing Ige? I’m proud to say I never voted for you once. We should’ve stuck with Abercrombie.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 am
kapakahi wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:59 am Self-serving statements from the Gov.....probably because he doesn't have a plan to deal with the State's budget shortfall.... :roll:
I read that earlier this morning and I’m like WTF. Of all the times to make that statement..... now is the absolute worst. This is punting on 4th and inches on the opponent 35 yard line down by a FG with less than 5 minutes in the game. What are you doing Ige? I’m proud to say I never voted for you once. We should’ve stuck with Abercrombie.
Just tell him that it will take $351 million to repair the old ailing structure.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

UH is current bidding out the construction work to replace the Ching Field artificial turf surface.....since the funds were previously appropriated with the work originally planned to be performed last year (but got held-up because of the campus shutdown due to the pandemic) following the track replacement work that was completed in 2019....:dubthum:

https://hands.ehawaii.gov/hands/opportunities/uh https://twitter.com/bidsUSA/status/1357344661665243137
Last edited by kapakahi on Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/new ... -2021.html

From Pacific Business News....
University of Hawaii athletic director affirms football to be played on campus in 2021
By Brian McInnis – Reporter, Pacific Business News
Feb 25, 2021, 9:33pm EST

The University of Hawaii still intends to play football on campus for the next three years, the university's athletic director David Matlin told Pacific Business News this week.

After plans were initially set in motion for UH to play its first-ever on-campus games due to deteriorating conditions at an unavailable Aloha Stadium, Gov. David Ige recently caused commotion by expressing a desire to see UH football continue to play at the 46-year-old facility for the foreseeable future.

But UH is going ahead with its own designs — that were first announced in January and detailed more fully earlier this month — which has an expected up-front cost of $6 million to furnish the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex with expanded seating, a scoreboard and functionality for its press box, among other things.

The Rainbow Warriors’ expected long-term future home, the New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District facility, is now not expected to be ready until 2024 at the earliest.

“The University team is focusing our efforts for what is necessary to prepare to play football at the Clarence T.C. Ching Complex for the 2021, 2022 and 2023 seasons,” Matlin told PBN. “We expect to be playing in the new Aloha Stadium starting in the 2024 season relying on the project’s schedule laid out by the Stadium Authority.

“We’ve made a lot of significant progress and continue to work with all the community stakeholders as we implement our plans to play football on campus,” he said.

The Ching Complex, which was last renovated in 2015, currently seats about 3,500. Its artificial turf field was already slated for an overhaul before the 2021 season, which features six home games starting with Portland State on Sept. 4.

“There’s a timeline right now. The planning is being done,” Matlin said. “Obviously, it’s a challenge. We have until Sept. 4 to get it ready. There’s a lot of work to do. … There’s a lot of people supporting us and working hard. We have a schedule, but every day we’re learning something new.”
https://twitter.com/Brian_McInnis/status/1365136163648860162
Last edited by kapakahi on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

uhwarriors wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:52 am
The biggest challenge and there are many will be getting City approvals for the improvements to Ching Field. It does help that Mayor Rick Blangiardi is not only a former UH coach and player, but a big supporter of UH football. He was the president of Na Koa Football Club.
kapakahi wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 pm
Also thankful for new Mayor Rick Blangiardi who steadily supports UH Athletics and can assist with City approvals (including any from the City Council).
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/02/ ... langiardi/

From the Star-Advertiser....
University of Hawaii’s plans for on-campus football finds an ally in Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi
By Ferd Lewis

As somebody who has known the University of Hawaii’s lower campus from the days when the “quarry” resembled something out of Fred Flintstone, Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi must have an inkling of the challenges UH faces in trying to slap together an on-campus football facility on the fly.

“I spent a lot of years of my life in that ‘quarry’ as a player (1965-66), coaching (1972-76) and whatever else,” Blangiardi said.

He said he used to live on Kolo Place, not much more than a sky punt or two (the barrier of H-1 not withstanding) from the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletics Complex, where the Rainbow Warriors have said they will play their six home games this season.

So when UH officials asked if they could trek down to Honolulu Hale to talk about their plans and needs, Blangiardi said thanks, but he preferred to return to campus for the meeting and a look-see around instead.

What he saw apparently galvanized a resolve to lend his alma mater a much needed helping hand in its venture.

On Jan. 11 UH announced plans to play on campus when the home season begins Sept. 4 against Portland State, leaving its only NCAA Division I football home of the past 46 seasons to rust in peace out in Halawa.

In meeting with head coach Todd Graham and athletic director David Matlin, Blangiardi said, “I told them I would do anything and everything that I possibly could for what they required from the city to make sure that all lights are green.”

Blangiardi said, “I want the city to be a partner in this. I want to help facilitate their efforts because there is so much at stake for the UH football program, for the university and the community.”

After what UH faced in pursuing the permits for the operation of what became the 10,300-seat Stan Sheriff Center, a bureaucratic boost would be no small favor.

For this endeavor UH has come up with a preliminary price estimate of $6 million in an attempt to retrofit Ching Field to something approaching Division I standards that keeps the NCAA and Mountain West Conference off its back all the while preventing liability suits and entertaining gatherings of up to 10,000.

And, that’s likely just to be starters, Year One of what could be an extended three, four or more season stay. UH Board of Regents chairman Benjamin Kudo, someone familiar with construction and government and not given to overstatement, might be right in predicting, “I would think that eight to 10 years is probably a more realistic range as to when (the new ) stadium would be completed.”

The infrastructure needs in terms of power, water and waste alone are daunting. Then, there is a press box that must be significantly expanded and vastly upgraded to accommodate not only the media partners who ante up for TV and radio rights but MWC video replay officials, coaches’ boxes, restrooms and more.

Not to mention TV-quality lighting, message boards and a sound system that won’t make fans miss even the antiquated Aloha Stadium system.

Then there’s locker rooms for the officials and visiting teams. Unlike the way things were in some of Blangiardi’s Honolulu Stadium days, visiting teams probably won’t be willing to change and shower at their hotels.

Undaunted, Blangiardi said, “I don’t know what they need (from the city) yet, but…I want the city to be a partner in this.”

As the days to kickoff approach, UH can surely use all the help it can get. Especially from the corridors of power.
Last edited by kapakahi on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Thankful that Mayor Blangiardi is publicly stepping up to support UH athletics in this endeavor. Now it's up to his administration and the city bureaucracy to do the same to expedite the necessary approvals.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:52 am Thankful that Mayor Blangiardi is publicly stepping up to support UH athletics in this endeavor. Now it's up to his administration and the city bureaucracy to do the same to expedite the necessary approvals.
They should have started already. Are they buying materials from the mainland? This is not getting done. Impossible. I guarantee we don’t have the skill sets for expediting anything.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:00 pm
My3Cats wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:52 am Thankful that Mayor Blangiardi is publicly stepping up to support UH athletics in this endeavor. Now it's up to his administration and the city bureaucracy to do the same to expedite the necessary approvals.
They should have started already. Are they buying materials from the mainland? This is not getting done. Impossible. I guarantee we don’t have the skill sets for expediting anything.
This is so very true. The fans who aren't able to fit in the current stands may have to bring their own lawn chairs. There will be portapotties and food trucks for concessions. Can you imagine Robert Kekaula and Rich Miano on top of one of those scissor lifts/cherry pickers to do the TV broadcast?