UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: UH football games at Ching field?

Post by TheDuke »

In the 60's you moved 10,000-20,000 people in and out of the termite palace three times on Sats where parking was limited. People took the bus. It wasn't a problem then. It was a fun event.

So they decided to build a stadium where students couldn't get to the game, traffic was terrible, they moved the game from 7:30 to 6, introduced the swap meet that forced people to get to the game later and leave earlier which made traffic worse and shortened the window to tailgate from 12:30 pm to 11:00 pm. The Stadium Authority made a fun all day event to a major hassle.

There are good changes and bad changes. People do adjust if the changes are good.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:22 am In the 60's you moved 10,000-20,000 people in and out of the termite palace three times on Sats where parking was limited. People took the bus. It wasn't a problem then. It was a fun event.
Maybe 'cuz I can't remember clearly from way back then....but I don't recall tailgating ever being much a part (if any) of the game-day experience from back then....for either (UH & for original ILH and annual Turkey Day) football games or (Islander, local semi-pro, State HS tournament) baseball games. I think it's because most fans used to get to the Honolulu Stadium only just an hour or so before the event by bus or walked over from parking their vehicles on the nearby streets, smaller private lots of nearby businesses, and/or at neighborhood houses & apartments of friends & family.

What I do remember clearly is that Chunky's Drive-Inn, Goodie-Goodie Drive-Inn, and the Bowl-O-Drome coffee shop were always crowded just before games....probably since the Honolulu Stadium food selection was very limited (pretty much to just hot dogs, hamburgers, chili & rice, saimin, peanuts & chips) with only a handful of available concession stands.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:22 am In the 60's you moved 10,000-20,000 people in and out of the termite palace three times on Sats where parking was limited. People took the bus. It wasn't a problem then. It was a fun event.

So they decided to build a stadium where students couldn't get to the game, traffic was terrible, they moved the game from 7:30 to 6, introduced the swap meet that forced people to get to the game later and leave earlier which made traffic worse and shortened the window to tailgate from 12:30 pm to 11:00 pm. The Stadium Authority made a fun all day event to a major hassle.

There are good changes and bad changes. People do adjust if the changes are good.
Very different Oahu than it was in the 60's.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:59 pm
Very different Oahu than it was in the 60's.
So true.....slower & simpler times....when everyone was more flexible & easy-going, and had less expectations....and never seemed to be a rush.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I've been a tailgater since the 1999 season and it's been a part of my life since then... but after attending a few games on the mainland and seeing how tailgating is not always an option I've started coming to terms with the fact that there may come a time when it isn't an option here as well. It's also changed so much since 1999 - back then you could start early in the morning and park on the ramp on Kam hwy, then they took that away a few years later and we had to go rush in to reserve a stall at 1:30 with everyone else, then they kicked us out of the circle and kam lot so they could sell parking passes, and in the past few seasons they've changed the traffic flows at each gate and on some days had no police directing traffic and the intersection by Gates 3 and 4 was a major mess.

Tailgating just isn't what it used to be. And when you look at the plans for the new Halawa stadium district, there doesn't seem to be a lot of tailgate-friendly parking in the renderings. So maybe tailgating already died and we just don't know it yet? Either way, I'm sure there are 15,000 fans who will show up to games on campus even without a real game day tailgate experience (and there will be some who scrape together a tailgate in the parking structure).

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:02 am
poidog wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:42 pm PPV becomes that much more important under this scenario, indeed. real tailgating may not be an option for most, so I hope some of the surrounding businesses capitalize on the opportunity and have great game day specials on food and drinks. I bet whatever that bar is that took Magoo's old spot is chomping at the bit for on-campus football...
The Magoos/Eastside Grill site has been vacant for years. If this holds up, I could see the Pucks Alley being totally made over any become a college town venue
Actually, the old Magoo's was a bar called "Study Hall" that closed during the pandemic. I think it was run by the guy that used to own Pipeline Cafe and Lola's. It wasn't great, but it was good enough for a beer and a pizza before basketball games last season and just fell victim to the pandemic. I'd be surprised if another bar didn't open up in that spot once students return to campus. The old East Side Grill has been a preschool or something for several years now. Too bad, because ESG had a killer loco moco and was one of my most favorite spots, ever.

But to your point, yes, they should raze Puck's and turn it into a better space for student life, much like the building across the street with Pieology and Raising Cane's. Imagine how lively a place like that could be on game days?

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

kapakahi wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:51 am
Maybe 'cuz I can't remember clearly from way back then....but I don't recall tailgating ever being much a part (if any) of the game-day experience from back then....for either (UH & for original ILH and annual Turkey Day) football games or (Islander, local semi-pro, State HS tournament) baseball games. I think it's because most fans used to get to the Honolulu Stadium only just an hour or so before the event by bus or walked over from parking their vehicles on the nearby streets, smaller private lots of nearby businesses, and/or at neighborhood houses & apartments of friends & family.

What I do remember clearly is that Chunky's Drive-Inn, Goodie-Goodie Drive-Inn, and the Bowl-O-Drome coffee shop were always crowded just before games....probably since the Honolulu Stadium food selection was very limited (pretty much to just hot dogs, hamburgers, chili & rice, saimin, peanuts & chips) with only a handful of available concession stands.
Yes no tailgating back then. If games are on campus there is lots of room to tailgate on campus. That's what happens at all the on campus venues.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:38 am I've been a tailgater since the 1999 season and it's been a part of my life since then... but after attending a few games on the mainland and seeing how tailgating is not always an option I've started coming to terms with the fact that there may come a time when it isn't an option here as well. It's also changed so much since 1999 - back then you could start early in the morning and park on the ramp on Kam hwy, then they took that away a few years later and we had to go rush in to reserve a stall at 1:30 with everyone else, then they kicked us out of the circle and kam lot so they could sell parking passes, and in the past few seasons they've changed the traffic flows at each gate and on some days had no police directing traffic and the intersection by Gates 3 and 4 was a major mess.

Tailgating just isn't what it used to be. And when you look at the plans for the new Halawa stadium district, there doesn't seem to be a lot of tailgate-friendly parking in the renderings. So maybe tailgating already died and we just don't know it yet? Either way, I'm sure there are 15,000 fans who will show up to games on campus even without a real game day tailgate experience (and there will be some who scrape together a tailgate in the parking structure).
Hence the term, No-Aloha.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1355013465199366146

Link

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Dang...how old is Joe Moore? How is it that adding some extra seats to a new stadium costs $5mill? Can someone give the Ching foundation a call? Something is rotten in Denmark.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:44 pm How is it that adding some extra seats to a new stadium costs $5mill? Something is rotten in Denmark.
The turf will be replaced, the press box will be upgraded and a new scoreboard will be installed along with a new speaker system.
The $5 million cost estimate also probably accounts for the Contractor's extended construction working hours (including night and/or weekend work) along with expedited freight costs for pre-fabricated manufactured items ( i.e., aluminum bleachers; new turf material along with separate rubber & sand in-fill materials; new scoreboard & components & supports; new public address system speakers & components & wiring infrastructure; etc.) along with expanded CM (Construction Management) consultant services to facilitate the timely & successful completion of the Contractor's contract work by the expedited August 2021 contract completion date.
Last edited by kapakahi on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Really? People debating about $5M? Man, Hawaii is poor. Even the $30M to fix Aloha should be a drop in the bucket.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:04 am Really? People debating about $5M? Man, Hawaii is poor. Even the $30M to fix Aloha should be a drop in the bucket.
People complain about wearing masks. No surprise they would complain about money.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:44 pm Dang...how old is Joe Moore? How is it that adding some extra seats to a new stadium costs $5mill? Can someone give the Ching foundation a call? Something is rotten in Denmark.
More seats, scoreboard, new field turf and upgrades for press box/ coaches box and labor.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:44 pm Dang...how old is Joe Moore? How is it that adding some extra seats to a new stadium costs $5mill? Can someone give the Ching foundation a call? Something is rotten in Denmark.
Well I suppose to cut costs they can require fans to bring their own lounge chairs to sit on in the current open areas around the field instead of brand spanking new bleachers, BYOB concessions with Igloo coolers, use their own cups for toilets, use their own cell phones to monitor what would normally be on a scoreboard, etc etc etc. But not very many fans would fit without added bleacher seating so there is a trade off. Not to mention people pissing all over the place because they miss their cups. :lol:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.