Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

poidog wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:32 am
travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Same here, usually, but I just cannot find a stream for these games...if you know of any, please let me know!
ok, i'll share...

google "bluestacks spoof location"

you may or may not need to use vpn, but i may or may not have watched the first 2 ppv games like this... You may have to be on a non-Spectrum, non-cellular internet connection for it to work, though.
Thanks! But damn...I'm stuck on Spectrum internet...I hate the monopoly they have here...I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!

You the real MVP! (If it works)
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

travo66 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:04 pm
poidog wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:32 am
travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Same here, usually, but I just cannot find a stream for these games...if you know of any, please let me know!
ok, i'll share...

google "bluestacks spoof location"

you may or may not need to use vpn, but i may or may not have watched the first 2 ppv games like this... You may have to be on a non-Spectrum, non-cellular internet connection for it to work, though.
Thanks! But damn...I'm stuck on Spectrum internet...I hate the monopoly they have here...I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!

You the real MVP! (If it works)
It works for me on my Hawaiian Telcom internet without vpn.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

travo66 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:04 pm
My3Cats wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 am
travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Yes, it was more expensive before, but you could also go to the game. You could also gather with any amount of your friends and split the bill. You could also go down to your local bar or restaurant to watch it.

Right now, the only place we can watch it is at home, with your family, who you can't really split it with...
Spectrum just opened up PPV for restaurants. Also with Tier 2 since 10/22/2020, 5 people allowed for social gatherings. You still have a PPV option to split the cost. Where there's a will, there's a way. $70/5=$14 per head.
Yes, they did just open up for PPV in restaurants, and that's a good start, but let's not make excuses for greedy companies taking advantage of local people during a pandemic...
You seem to have forgotten that Spectrum is paying UH athletics big bucks for the right to televise games. That money has to come from somewhere. No such thing as a free lunch. Without Spectrum money and no fans in the stands, there would be no income for UH.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:45 pm

Spectrum just opened up PPV for restaurants. Also with Tier 2 since 10/22/2020, 5 people allowed for social gatherings. You still have a PPV option to split the cost. Where there's a will, there's a way. $70/5=$14 per head.
Yes, they did just open up for PPV in restaurants, and that's a good start, but let's not make excuses for greedy companies taking advantage of local people during a pandemic...
You seem to have forgotten that Spectrum is paying UH athletics big bucks for the right to televise games. That money has to come from somewhere. No such thing as a free lunch. Without Spectrum money and no fans in the stands, there would be no income for UH.
Well said. Do you know how much UH is getting from Spectrum? Was it $800K?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:58 am

Well said. Do you know how much UH is getting from Spectrum? Was it $800K?
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/20 ... 0June%2030.

The University of Hawaii has a new, more lucrative five-year TV rights extension with Spectrum but will have to deliver at least seven football games a year to earn the full $3.1 million yearly average.

The contract carries a $400,000 deduction for each football game that it is short. If four games are not made available UH gets just $750,000, according to the agreement.

travo66
Starter
Starter

Post by travo66 »

And you seem to have forgotten that Spectrum is a multi-million dollar company with a monopoly on UH football. So they could charge much cheaper, get more buy in and make the same, if not more money! No ones asking for a free lunch, we're just asking they don't charge us $70 for a ham sandwich when they're the only shop on the island.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

travo66 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 am

And you seem to have forgotten that Spectrum is a multi-million dollar company with a monopoly on UH football. So they could charge much cheaper, get more buy in and make the same, if not more money! No ones asking for a free lunch, we're just asking they don't charge us $70 for a ham sandwich when they're the only shop on the island.
I don't disagree with you there. But it is what it is. You need to air out your displeasure with Spectrum. Here on this board you will only get head nods from fellow UH fans, but nothing from Spectrum. Make your voice heard where it counts.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

They should make a change and open up for in-person games. Even if they do, offered free hot-dogs, there will still be more than enough distancing between people, let's be honest here.

travo66
Starter
Starter

Post by travo66 »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 am
travo66 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:08 am

I don't disagree with you there. But it is what it is. You need to air out your displeasure with Spectrum. Here on this board you will only get head nods from fellow UH fans, but nothing from Spectrum. Make your voice heard where it counts.
Yeah, that's why I tried to get the petition going, but like you said, people only agree, but no one signs the petition...looks like I'm not watching any Spectrum games this year...

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

We on the Outer Islands should never have to pay a PPV fee to watch UH football. It's not that simple for us to attend a UH football game. That's OK....I'll settle for Washington State (de Laura), USC (Malepeai), Virginia (Talaupapa), UCF (Gabriel), Wisconsin (Herbig), Michigan (Wilson), Notre Dame (Boteihlo), etc... on free TV.

And that's the problem. Many young kids (future ballers) in Hawaii come from households that may not be able to afford the UH PPV fee but they grow up watching all these local boys on free TV kicking okole at mainland schools so they grow up having no loyalty to UH football. UH football is not their following; however, an Oregon (Marcus) or an Alabama (Tua) is because it's so easily accessible on network television.