SD Defense Presents A Huge Challenge For Hawaii

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

SD defense is king of the mountain for good reason, and it will be interesting in this Saturday's game if Hawaii has what it takes to reach the top and knock the giants down.

For Hawaii this will be a tall task.

Because in SD last 15 games no opposing team has rushed for over 200 yards in a game. In 10 of those games SD defense has held opposing rushing offenses to less than a 100 yards. Of those last 15 games SD pass defense has allowed 1 QB (Wilson/BYU) to pass for over 300 yards, and only 3 points.

SD runs a 3-3-5 defense and returns 7 starters from last season.

Phil Steele named Keshawn Banks (DL), Cameron Thomas (DL/first team last season as a freshmen), Tariq Thompson (DB), Darren Hall (DB) to his Preseason All-MWC first team. Jay Lenard (DB-out) to his second team. And Caden McDonald (LB), Dwayne Johnson (DB) to his third team.

SD defense is loaded with talent, speed, size. With every player (I see) evaluated 3 stars out of HS, 3 of those players in the secondary, Tariq Thompson, Darren Hall, Trenton (Thompson) mentioned as SD NFL prospects. In the first game of the season #54 LB Caden McDonald was All-MWC Defensive Player Of The Week. In that game SD held UNLV 1-15 on 3rd down conversions.

On the season SD defense is forcing opponents 7.7 punts a game.

In SD last game, a 28-17 loss to SJ, SD offense turned the ball over 3 times in the fourth quarter. So I would think SD will come out fuming against Hawaii, mad, and having a chip on their shoulder with the path to the MWC Championship
still at play, with the loser pretty much out of the chase.

In the SD-SJ game I was hoping to see SJ star QB, who threw for nearly 500 yards against NM, against SD secondary but the SJ star QB left the game in the first series. That would have given me a clearer picture of how good SD defense is.

There's no doubt, though, Hawaii offense will have an uphill climb against SD defense . Even with Cordeiro and Mardner coming off career days against NM and with other firepower/weapons to deploy.

In last seasons game SD defense held Hawaii to 14 points and 300 something yards on 66 plays, mostly on short passes to Sharsh (10 receptions-all underneath type passes), and limiting Byrd to 4/29 yards.

For Hawaii offense to breakthrough against SD defense this Saturday it will come down to the offense being able to move the ball, open it's playbook more (imo) and find the weak spots. If Cordeiro has a huge day, happy faces. If HE doesn't it will be a long day for Shack. This is the type of matchup that will be a huge test for Hawaii offense because SD defense is the juggernaut and if Hawaii offense (and team) wants to be the king atop the mountain it starts with games like this.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: SD Defense Presents A Huge Challenge For Hawaii

Post by My3Cats »

If Hawaii offense (and the whole team) starts out flat again, bye bye Warriors and an SDSU RUTS.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Our O have not done a good job against the 3-3-5. But I hope coach will be able to come up with something new. Our blocking is inconsistant. Chevan had to make too many plays trying to avoid defenders. I just hope we stop kicking the ball out-of-bounds on kickoffs.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

SDSU's huge offensive line with Nebraska transfer RB Greg Bell presents an equally huge challenge. Bell rushed for over 100 yards in each of SDSU's first 3 games....and is bigger and faster than Wyoming RB Valladay & Fresno State RB Rivers.
https://goaztecs.com/sports/football/ro ... -bell/6361

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

the good news is that NM runs a similar defense. So it is something we've recently seen. Hopefully our coaches can put together a good game plan.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

The bad news is that SDSU has a way more talented & experienced defensive secondary (returning all 5 upperclassmen starters with 102 starts for Aztecs between them) compared to NM in the 3-3-5 base defense.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 am The bad news is that SDSU has a way more talented & experienced defensive secondary (returning all 5 upperclassmen starters with 102 starts for Aztecs between them) compared to NM in the 3-3-5 base defense.
I agree with you that SD is athletic and better then NM. But we do have a very experienced HC that made adjustments to stymie NM in the second half.

He has had a whole game to access Rocky Long's D. He also has film on SD and because of his experience I feel he will have our D ready and he has the talent on O and the experience to assess SD's personnel on D and have the schemes to create mismatches.

It will be a tough game whether we win or lose.
1. I like our chances with our experienced HC.
2. I like our speed and physicality at receiver.
3. We have the horses at RB.
4. Can we slow down their running game?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I'm not so sure about the spread. Any MWC team can beat another. We bested the Aztecs last year. Why wouldn't we best them this year? Shoot, we beat a top team (current rank) last year in the Hawaii Bowl.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Highlights of the San Diego State Utah game won by SDSU 38-7. Lots of big runs.

Link
Highlights of the SDSU versus SJSU game where I think the referees made two bad calls, the intentional grounding turned into a fumble and the fumble on the punt where the defender didn't give the punt returner space to make the catch.

Link

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hawaii offense was doodoo against SDSU defense.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:49 pm Hawaii offense was doodoo against SDSU defense.
Or, the offense sux hairy balls? :lol:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

When Norm Chow took over and brought in his inexperienced coaches on offense. It just has some eerie similarities between Todd Graham and Norm Chow giving their prior QB a offensive coach position with lack of coaching experience on the resume. I understand both Norm Chow and Todd Graham have added a Tight End and changing offense from RnS/RPO offense to different offenses like Chow's Pro-set and Graham's Run-n-Gun offense. Fixes are needed.

But the Hawaii defense is light years ahead of the offense right now and I hate to say it but if the Hawaii Offense continues to be anemic. Next weeks Boise State National TV is going to be a even worse blowout than this week SDSU game.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:13 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:49 pm Hawaii offense was doodoo against SDSU defense.
Or, the offense sux hairy balls? :lol:
I was almost, almost going to say that. But I figured that I needed to be a little bit nicer this time!