Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

Doubt this would change anything, but getting more signatures couldn't hurt.

It really kills me that I can't watch these games. Listening on the radio just isn't the same...Then I get to watch the highlights and be more mad that I couldn't watch them live!

$70 for a single game, seriously???

http://chng.it/SqWnzsQX
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by shrek2 »

This has been brought up quite a bit by a lot of people so I hope you manage to get something worked out. Has anyone stated that Spectrum is paying UH $X mil for the rights? If so, I can see the reason for the high charge. With the demand being great and there is still a lockdown of sorts, I wonder why they haven't set up large drive-in type situations possibly in the stadium parking lot with no one leaving their car (as in drive-in) and charging a nominal charge for those people in the drive-in. My cable company where I live actually gave us free premium channel viewing for about a month and a half during the shutdown. Goodwill goes a long way and I will stick with my cable company and not complain about future increases (within reason :D .) Good luck!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Last edited by Neighbor on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Scott wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
they do. I listen on radio and watch games on sunday

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

ubercow wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:02 pm
Scott wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
they do. I listen on radio and watch games on sunday
What I hate is that I get to watch the game on game day on their premium channel but after that day they take it off the channel. I should be able to watch it all week if I want to. You know Spektrum is not hurting during the pandemic.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Then donate your PPV savings instead directly to support UH Athletics..... :hello1: https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1325256726317162496

travo66
Starter
Starter

Post by travo66 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Yes, it was more expensive before, but you could also go to the game. You could also gather with any amount of your friends and split the bill. You could also go down to your local bar or restaurant to watch it.

Right now, the only place we can watch it is at home, with your family, who you can't really split it with...

travo66
Starter
Starter

Post by travo66 »

They do, but then you gotta wait until after the game is done and you'll probably hear the result by then...

travo66
Starter
Starter

Post by travo66 »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Same here, usually, but I just cannot find a stream for these games...if you know of any, please let me know!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 pm
My3Cats wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Yes, it was more expensive before, but you could also go to the game. You could also gather with any amount of your friends and split the bill. You could also go down to your local bar or restaurant to watch it.

Right now, the only place we can watch it is at home, with your family, who you can't really split it with...
Spectrum just opened up PPV for restaurants. Also with Tier 2 since 10/22/2020, 5 people allowed for social gatherings. You still have a PPV option to split the cost. Where there's a will, there's a way. $70/5=$14 per head.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

travo66
Starter
Starter

Post by travo66 »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 am
travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Spectrum just opened up PPV for restaurants. Also with Tier 2 since 10/22/2020, 5 people allowed for social gatherings. You still have a PPV option to split the cost. Where there's a will, there's a way. $70/5=$14 per head.
Yes, they did just open up for PPV in restaurants, and that's a good start, but let's not make excuses for greedy companies taking advantage of local people during a pandemic...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Yeah...how about they charge everyone $10 to watch privately? Restaurants can benefit by delivery. I don't know guys. The game time experience for Hawaii football live has not really been that enjoyable at your local bar venue. With all the screaming fans spreading corona virus...it just makes it that much less appealing.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Same here, usually, but I just cannot find a stream for these games...if you know of any, please let me know!
ok, i'll share...

google "bluestacks spoof location"

you may or may not need to use vpn, but i may or may not have watched the first 2 ppv games like this... You may have to be on a non-Spectrum, non-cellular internet connection for it to work, though.