QB/Ath Calvin Turner Signs

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

QB/Ath Calvin Turner Signs

Post by uhwarriors »

Turner was a QB for Jacksonville University which is dropping football. He was named the league's All Purpose Back as a Junior. He's 6-1,195 and is a 2 to play 1. He was a DB and Kick Returner during his freshman year and then switched to QB. He's an outstanding runner rushing for 1,554 yards on 241 carries for 15 TDs in 2019.

https://twitter.com/_ctjr/status/1206680581020540928 .

Junior highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDvUieu ... e=youtu.be

A kinesiology major who would like to eventually become a personal trainer or coach, Turner said he will enroll at Hawaii for the spring semester and then be a senior on the field and in the classroom next fall for his final season of eligibility.

While an option quarterback at Jacksonville, Turner said he could be playing slot receiver for the Rainbow Warriors, who this season are averaging 325.9 passing yards and 143.4 rushing yards per game. Hawaii (9-5) played for the Mountain West championship (losing to Boise State) and will face BYU in the Hawaii Bowl on Dec. 24. Hawaii is guided by Nick Rolovich, the conference coach of the year.

Turner, who played cornerback for JU as a freshman before becoming the starting QB as a sophomore, is excited about a position change.

“I knew that eventually I will be moved to slot receiver or something like that at the next level,” he said.
https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/2019 ... for-hawaii

From an article before his junior season:
Turner said he’s in no hurry to map out his future beyond JU. He plans to major in kinesiology and while there’s little market for pure option quarterbacks in the NFL, his father believes he has a shot as a slot receiver or even running back.
https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/201 ... university
https://twitter.com/jax_fb/status/1152239699731333120 https://twitter.com/3phasefootball/status/1036930978864947201

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: QB/Ath Calvin Turner Transfering to UH

Post by cabanalane »

Not the Option, but reminds me of Ivan Jasper. Or should I now say Arizona's Khalil Tate.

Nice for UH. Looks like he brings a different skillset to UH. I can see him in if Rolo wishes to play two QBs.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Can definitely see him @ slot, wildcat QB and perhaps KR, PR. Bringing in speed with jukes is always good and still can redshirt after playing 4 games.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Added this article quote into the original post:
A kinesiology major who would like to eventually become a personal trainer or coach, Turner said he will enroll at Hawaii for the spring semester and then be a senior on the field and in the classroom next fall for his final season of eligibility.

While an option quarterback at Jacksonville, Turner said he could be playing slot receiver for the Rainbow Warriors, who this season are averaging 325.9 passing yards and 143.4 rushing yards per game. Hawaii (9-5) played for the Mountain West championship (losing to Boise State) and will face BYU in the Hawaii Bowl on Dec. 24. Hawaii is guided by Nick Rolovich, the conference coach of the year.

Turner, who played cornerback for JU as a freshman before becoming the starting QB as a sophomore, is excited about a position change.

“I knew that eventually I will be moved to slot receiver or something like that at the next level,” he said.
https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/2019 ... for-hawaii

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

Interesting pickup. Hope he can learn the offense quickly.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don't typically like 1 to play 1 guys. I like Turner a lot. Size and speed at the slot. He is hard to bring down. Great acceleration in the open. He will be a press breaker and he will get YAC. He should get separation. A bigger target. Wildcat in the redzone running or passing.

Can he pickup the R&S as a slot is the only question mark.

Good get adds to the dimension of the O.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:54 pm I don't typically like 1 to play 1 guys. I like Turner a lot. Size and speed at the slot. He is hard to bring down. Great acceleration in the open. He will be a press breaker and he will get YAC. He should get separation. A bigger target. Wildcat in the redzone running or passing.

Can he pickup the R&S as a slot is the only question mark.

Good get adds to the dimension of the O.
One thing about Turner is that he can play 4 games and redshirt next year and then have a full year after that since he is a 2 to play 1 guy. Plus him coming for the spring should help him too.
ImageImage

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

He has the speed. Maybe he can be the replacement for Jojo!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1207291826614308865

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

:thumbup:
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: QB/Ath Calvin Turner Signs

Post by RedZone »

Would make a good runningback.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

honu888 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:51 pm He has the speed. Maybe he can be the replacement for Jojo!
The difference is that he is bigger then JoJo. Harder to press coverage. He should get more separation. And he will be harder to bring down.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Mahalo to whoever was on Rolo's past staff for offering Turner last year. To think his career could have been over after JU folded

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:45 pm Mahalo to whoever was on Rolo's past staff for offering Turner last year. To think his career could have been over after JU folded
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.