*** Official Arkansas Football Thread ***

Talk about sports like the NFL, MLB, NBA, NCAA, Fantasy, Boxing, MMA along with any other sports you follow.
HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Arkansas vs Ole Miss ODDS

Post by HawaiianHogster »

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Sam and Lane Talk Saturday's Game

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Arkansas Last Home Field SEC Win 2016

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig- ... -saturday/

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas hasn’t won a home SEC game since Nov. 5, 2016, when they beat Florida 31-10.

On that Florida team was a four-star quarterback who was redshirting as a true freshman. Feleipe Franks stood and watched the Hogs dismantle the No. 11 Gators.

“I made that trip,” Franks said. “I was here. The stadium looked a little different, but I was here. I do remember exactly what game. I remember like it was yesterday actually coming in here and playing. But more importantly, I think it’s about week in and week out we’re going out there to win and not prove anything. We’re just wanting to win. That’s my main goal. That’s our team’s main goal is that after each Saturday to have a W behind the Arkansas team’s name. That’s important that we’re doing everything possible throughout the week to make that happen.

“So, just to answer your question, you know it’s important to us to get a win. And it’s just week in and week out, no matter who we’re playing: Alabama, Ole Miss, week in and week out we have SEC games and they’re all good. It’s just important that we grind week in and week out to get those wins. There’s nothing else that’s more important, no one that’s more bigger than the team, just getting a win. That’s really pretty much it. That’s what we’re focused on week in and week out.”

On Saturday when Ole Miss rolls into Reynolds Razorback Stadium Franks will be trying to help the Razorbacks break that streak. Considering Ole Miss puts up points on offense much like a video game it will be important for Arkansas not to start slowly.

“I think it’s starts with starting fast,” Franks said. “We have to do a better job of starting fast in practice. We have to do a better job of starting fast in everything that we do, and I think that’s a straight translation from practice to the game. Not necessarily saying we’ve had bad practices, but we started a little slow offensively and then the next thing you know we start slow on Saturdays sometimes.

“So, I think it’s just starts on Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesday practices, those days, Thursday, get things cleaned up, that period of time. Starting fast, being smooth on offense, that when Saturday comes, it’s just repetition and routine from starting fast. So, if we can do a better job of that as an offense, then that will help us out a lot.”

Arkansas fell behind Auburn 17-0 last Saturday, but then rallied to take a late 28-27 lead. But with Ole Miss’ offense is there pressure to score early and often this week?

“I wouldn’t say it’s pressure,” Franks said. “It’s just we go out there and do our job. Do our assignment I think that’s most important. I wouldn’t say that we go out there with the pressure on our back to go prove somebody wrong you know what I mean.

“I think that it’s just doing what we were coached to do and I think that on Saturdays that will show you know on Tuesday, Wednesday those days where it matters and it’s hot outside and we’re practicing and nobody is watching. Those days are important. And then Saturday it’s just second nature. So we have to have a really good week of practice. Like I said before Ole Miss has a really good team offensively and defensively in my opinion. You know it’s an SEC opponent just like it is week in and week out. You can’t take nobody lightly. You have to prepare and then go out there and play a top team week in and week out and that’s important to have that mindset. Like I said we’re excited to go out there and have another opportunity as an offense to go out there and get better.”

Franks is a grad transfer with the Hogs this year. He is off to a very fast start. Franks has completed 61 of 94 passes for 730 yards, seven touchdowns and two interceptions. He also has rushed 28 times for 49 yards. He is quick to credit his teammates for his success at quarterback.

“Yeah, I think I can attribute it to a lot,” Franks said. “It’s so much more that goes on behind the scenes than just be going out there and throwing the ball. You know Coach (Kendal) Briles, some of the other guys. All of those guys just get me prepared throughout the week. They make things simple. That helps me out a lot.

“And then at the same time it’s just me being able to push myself with KJ (Jefferson), the other quarterbacks Jack (Lindsey), John Stephen (Jones), Braden (Bratcher), Cade (Pearson), the whole quarterback room, Malik (Hornsby). All of those guys push me to be the best quarterback I can be throughout the week as well. Coach Briles does a great job of coaching me up and helping me to become the best player I can become and it shows or I try and help it shows on Saturdays as a reflection of him and our team and how hard we work. There is a lot more that goes on than me so I’m appreciative of those guys helping me out. But yeah it was good. It was fun on Saturday to get those kind of stats. It was the first time so that was cool.”

One of his favorite receivers has been De’Vion Warren who has caught 10 passes for 223 yards and three touchdowns.

“Yeah I thought De’Vion has been doing really good not just in the games,” Franks said. “In the games that shows for itself. I’m talking throughout practice because I think that’s important for how you perform on Saturdays. He does a great job of running his routes full speed. That helps me out timing wise in practice. He’s a great player. I think he’s underrated. Super shifty And he just knows where to be at the right time and I think it shows on Saturdays how hard he works throughout the week.”

By all accounts, it appears Franks and the Hogs will have both Rakeem Boyd and Trelon Smith available at running back this week. Boyd missed some of the Mississippi State and all of Auburn game with an injury.

“Those two guys are really good playmakers, Rakeem and Trelon,” Franks said. “Those guys in the past have done a great job for this offense and this season have done a great job already just the time we’ve had with this offense. It’s going to be important that we get those guys continue to get healthy. But at the same time, we’ve guys as well that work their tails off and when their name is called, just like the situation, when his name is called, step in and perform at a high level, and that’s important to have on our team. We have a group of guys that are super motivated. So, it’s going to be important getting those guys back, and they’re in the rehab room every day, morning, evening. So, they’re working really hard to get back. So, hopefully, we get those guys back.”

Arkansas and Ole Miss will kickoff at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. It’s homecoming for the Razorbacks. The game will be televised on the SEC Network.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Videos

https://twitter.com/i/status/1317166057040261123 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317166057040261123 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317186048082939904
Last edited by HawaiianHogster on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

10 Things To Know – Ole Miss

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/10-thing ... le-miss-3/

10 Things to Know – Ole Miss

Arkansas returns home after a two-game road swing to host Ole Miss for Homecoming at 2:30 p.m. CT on Saturday, Oct. 17. The game will air on SEC Network.

1. – Arkansas came up just short in last week’s game, falling 30-28 at No. 13 Auburn as the Tigers made a game-winning field goal with seven seconds left in the fourth quarter. The Razorbacks were trailing 17-0 midway through the second quarter but showed resiliency and took a 28-27 lead with 5:29 left in the final stanza. The offense found its groove by racking up a season-high 437 total yards, its most in an SEC game since compiling 447 yards against Vanderbilt two seasons ago.

2. – Making his first career start, redshirt junior RB Trelon Smith shined against the Tigers, posting career-highs of 81 rushing yards and 78 receiving yards while scoring his first career touchdown on a five-yard catch. He joined the elite company of Clemson all-american RB Travis Etienne (73 rushing yards / 144 receiving yards – vs. Virginia) as the only two FBS players to collect at least 70 rushing and receiving yards in the same game this season. The Arizona State transfer has led the team in rushing all three games and paces the squad with 167 rushing yards and 14 receptions.

3. – Graduate transfer QB Feleipe Franks eclipsed the 300-yard mark for the first time in his career, throwing for a career-best 318 passing yards with four touchdowns last week at No. 13 Auburn. The Florida transfer became the first Razorback signal caller to throw at least four touchdowns passes since Brandon Allen (7) in 2015 against Mississippi State. Over his last two games, Franks has thrown for 530 yards and six touchdowns without an interception. He ranks fifth in the SEC in passing touchdowns (7), sixth in completion percentage (64.9%) and seventh in passing yards (730).

4. – Junior LB Bumper Pool and redshirt freshman DB Jalen Catalon are each averaging 12.0 tackles per game to lead the SEC and rank second nationally. Catalon also leads the country, making 8.7 solo stops per game, and is coming off a career-high 14 tackle outing at No. 13 Auburn.

5. – Veteran WR De’Vion Warren has jumped out to a fast start in his senior campaign, leading Arkansas with 223 receiving yards and three touchdown catches. A week after earning his first career 100-yard receiving game in the upset win at No. 16 Mississippi State, Warren made a career-high five catches for 95 yards and scored two touchdowns for the first time in his career at No. 13 Auburn. His average of 22.3 yards per reception ranks third in the SEC and 14th nationally.

6. – Redshirt freshman DB Hudson Clark earned his first career start last week and made a career-best seven tackles against the Tigers. He became the 10th first-time starter on defense this season and pushed the Hogs’ number of first-time starters to 16. Arkansas has recorded the fourth most first-time starters in the country behind Texas State (23), Navy (20) and Arkansas State (18).

7. – Earlier this week, sophomore center Ricky Stromberg was named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List, which recognizes the nation’s best center. The Tulsa, Okla. product has started all three games at center this season after making 11 starts at left and right guard last year.

8. – Arkansas’ defense has tightened up this year on third down, allowing opponents to convert just 34.6% of their tries, which ranks fifth in the SEC and 25th nationally. The Hogs are keeping opposing offenses off schedule, forcing an average third down conversion distance of 6.5 yards.

9. – For the 67th time, the Hogs and Rebels will meet on the gridiron, with Arkansas leading the all-time series, 36-27-1. The two have a deep history before Arkansas joined the SEC in 1992 and first met on Oct. 10, 1908, a 33-0 Razorback victory in Fayetteville. Meetings during the 1950s and 1960s routinely pitted the top teams of the Southwest and Southeastern Conferences against each other. The respective conference champions met on Oct. 23, 1954 in Little Rock and Arkansas’ 6-0 win on a 66-yard touchdown pass from Bob Benson to Preston Carpenter, known as the “Powder River Play,” remains a marquee win in program history. The Razorbacks are 11-2 all-time in Fayetteville against the Rebels. The series has been tightly contested of late, as the margin of victory has been four points or fewer in four of the last five meetings.

10. – This season, Ole Miss possesses one of highest-powered offenses in the country, ranking second nationally and leading the SEC averaging 573 yards per game. However, the Rebels defense ranks 14th in the league allowing 641.3 yards per game. QB Matt Corral has thrown for 1,080 yards and nine scores with WR Elijah Moore serving as his top target, making 31 catches for 462 yards. The Rebels are under the direction of first-year head coach Lane Kiffin, who previously made head coaching stops at Florida Atlantic, USC, Tennessee and the NFL’s Oakland Raiders.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Final Razorbacks 33 Ole Miss 21

Below Link. Grading every coaching hire. Check it out.
[tweet]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkkXShuX0AA ... ame=medium[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/i/status/1317935371049603072 The Hawg Talk liked
SEC Slow Smoked
@SECSlowSmoked
Updated SEC Power Rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Texas A&M
4. Florida
5. Arkansas
6. Auburn
7. Kentucky
8. LSU
9. Tennessee
10. South Carolina
11. Ole Miss
12. Mississippi State
13. Missouri
14. Vanderbilt
Translate Tweet

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/202 ... e-miss-21/

Ugly Uncle liked
K Red hearts the Wuhan Front Facing Hog Boar
@kkhogs
I work with a guy who played for Coach Pittman on the O line at OU in ‘97 - ‘98 & before the season started, he told me, “There isn’t another grown man, other than my Dad, I love more than that dude. I’m a huge Hog fan now”.
I totally get what he said now, players adore him.

Link

Link

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

More on Ole Miss win

Kathy Tolbert
@kathy_tolbert2
Part of what I’m so excited about is that we aren’t getting lucky. Those other teams aren’t bad-WE ARE JUST THAT GOOD. I told my boys this is what it was like growing up and knowing we may not win every game, but every game we knew we had a chance!!!
3:41 AM · Oct 18, 2020 from Benton, AR·Twitter for iPhone

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/ ... 153161899/
After statistically being the worst Power Five defense in the country last season, what Barry Odom has done with the Arkansas defense has been nothing short of incredible. Not only are they improved, the Hogs have emerged as one of the better defensive units in the SEC through four games, and they've made a habit of shutting down potent offenses. (RELATED: Inside the Numbers: Arkansas 33, Ole Miss 21)

Against an Ole Miss team that was averaging over 40 points per game and had one turnover the entire season, the Razorbacks held them to just 21 points and forced an eye-popping seven turnovers from the Rebels. Head coach Sam Pittman credited Odom and his defensive staff for putting together another terrific game plan and his players for once again executing in impressive fashion.

"Barry Odom is awesome. So is Sam Carter, so Rion Rhoades and so is Derrick LeBlanc," Pittman said. "Those guys on defense get their team ready to play. They have all kinds of tendencies, where the back is, who is inside, who is outside and where numbers are. They have it cut up for the kids and the kids obviously watch it.

"We're talented. We've got a talented group. We've got a resilient group. We have a group that can catch passes on defense and return them for touchdowns. I told the team Morgan, if I'm a running back I might be a little bit worried about it. He took that back to the house. They picked off six passes. They were in position to play well. Barry Odom is the real deal and I'm happy. He's a great friend of mine and I'm also very happy he's on the staff."

Arkansas (2-2 SEC) set the tone on the first Ole Miss' drive when Jalen Catalon pounced on a goal line fumble, giving Arkansas the ball and momentum. From there it became an interception party for the Razorbacks, who picked off Ole Miss quarterback Matt Corral six times in the ball game. Walk-on Hudson Clark continues to dazzle and should be in line for SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors after an incredible three interception performance. When asked about Clark's emergence from being someone nobody has heard of to being a key piece to the secondary, Pittman had a simple reply.

"Well they've heard of him now. Three times at least."

Catalon and Morgan both added a pick-six and Greg Brooks came up with an interception of his own. Yet again, Pittman went back to his defensive coaching staff putting together a game plan and the players going out and executing what they had been practicing all week.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1317610554937147393 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317824536444768256 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317601028267802627 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317599178957074432 https://www.secsports.com/article/30016 ... ifinalists
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Oct. 1, 2020)----- Players from 11 Southeastern Conference universities were named semifinalists for the 2020 William V. Campbell Trophy® Presented by Mazda.

The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame (NFF) announced today an all-time record of 199 semifinalists for the award which recognizes the best football scholar-athlete in the nation for his combined academic success, football performance and exemplary leadership.

Eight SEC student-athletes have won the Campbell Trophy since its inception in 1990, most recently Alabama's Barrett Jones in 2012.

SEC Semifinalists
Landon Dickerson (Alabama)
Grant Morgan (Arkansas)
Jeremiah Moon (Florida)
Prather Hudson (Georgia)
Luke Fortner (Kentucky)
Liam Shanahan (LSU)
Luke Logan (Ole Miss)
K.J. Costello (Mississippi State)
Parker White (South Carolina)
Brandon Kennedy (Tennessee)
Dan Moore Jr. (Texas A&M)
https://twitter.com/i/status/1295541080352362496

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Awesome TD Catch on Homecoming vs. Ole Miss

Arkansas Razorback Football liked
PFF College
@PFF_College
Highest-graded power five WRs in Wk 7:

1. Amari Rodgers, Clemson - 91.5
2. DeVonta Smith, Alabama - 91.2
3. Jaquarii Roberson, Wake Forest - 89.9
4. Treylon Burks, Arkansas - 86.8 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317601191405248512

Link

Link

Hog fans reaction to Ole Miss Win
[tweet]https://soundcloud.com/hitthatline/hog- ... miss-33-21[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/i/status/1317601805824503808 Richard Davenport Retweeted
Scottie Bordelon
@NWAScottie
Sam Pittman: I say damn too much, but I am damn proud of this football team. These kids deserve to be happy tonight.
1:28 PM · Oct 17, 2020·TweetDeck

Link
Last edited by HawaiianHogster on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Big Daddy Hog and team

Link

Link

Link

I just found this video. Better late than never. Fits the bill.

Link

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Off Target: SEC Shorts, How They Do It.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

PFF Team of the Week, big takeaways, player awards

pff.com/news/college-football-week-7-pff-team-of-the-week-big-takeaways-player-awards-and-more

3. MATT CORRAL HAD ONE OF THE STEEPEST DECLINES FROM ONE GAME TO THE NEXT IN RECENT MEMORY

Back in Week 6, Lane Kiffin, Matt Corral and the Ole Miss offense hung 48 on Alabama and fielded the second-most-efficient passing attack to face the Crimson Tide since 2016. It wasn't a fluke, either, as it was consistent with what we saw from them in their first two outings, against Florida and Kentucky.

However, they took a big step backward against the Razorbacks. Ole Miss generated -0.62 EPA per pass play (fourth-worst the program has produced in a single game in SEC play since 2014), and Corral tossed six interceptions en route to the fifth-lowest-graded performance by a quarterback in SEC play in the PFF College era.

Surprising is an understatement. Corral started his 2020 campaign with three straight 75.0-plus passing grades and committed just one turnover-worthy play over the whole of that span. Then, against Arkansas, he had eight (!!!) turnover-worthy plays and not a single big-time throw. He entered the game with the seventh-lowest negatively graded throw rate in the FBS and proceeded to triple that rate in Week 7 for the fourth-worst of the week.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

CB Hudson Clark, Arkansas

Clark had virtually no recruiting interest in 2019 and ended up walking onto the Razorbacks. He took a redshirt his freshman year and wasn’t expected to see much time in 2020, but a few injuries in Week 5 forced Arkansas to put Clark into action. Clark did perform fairly well in his first two career games against Mississippi State and Auburn (72.5 coverage grade), but no one expected him to ever have the type of game he had against Ole Miss. Clark saw four targets in coverage against the Rebels, and he intercepted three of them. He read Ole Miss quarterback Matt Corral like a book all game long and had two of those interceptions come on jumped out-routes.

In less than three hours, Clark went from a complete unknown to an SEC household name.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

SEC Network

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Head Coach for Arkansas Football

https://twitter.com/i/status/1318223022176804864 cle liked
Tye Richardson Boar
@TyeSportsRadio
It's been 3,306 days since Arkansas beat A&M in 2011.

Time to end another drought
12:59 AM · Oct 19, 2020·TweetDeck
https://twitter.com/i/status/1318337466512924672

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Head Coach for Arkansas Football

https://twitter.com/i/status/1318183833569796097 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317636751788302337 https://twitter.com/i/status/1318324014163611648 https://twitter.com/i/status/1317610704048967681

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Sam Pittman Said This

Image https://twitter.com/i/status/1318773100641767424 Image
Last edited by HawaiianHogster on Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.