Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19583 ... s-pass-16m

Both China and some US states tried to downplay the pandemic with early openings. Stop denying science, people. 'Suck it up and bear it for 2 weeks' has evolved 7 months later into apocalyptic government failure.
BEIJING: China on Monday reported its highest number of coronavirus cases in three months, part of a worrying swell of second and third-wave infections that are hitting Asia and Europe.

Australia has been rocked by its deadliest surge since the start of the pandemic, Hong Kong is experiencing record daily numbers and Spain's caseload has tripled in the last fortnight.

Meanwhile, other regions are still battling their first waves after never getting the virus under control: the US alone has recorded almost 4.23 million cases of COVID-19, while infections in Latin America and the Caribbean surged on Sunday to briefly overtake North America's total for the first time.

Coronavirus is SARS. The virus hasn't changed...only the governments involved in the handling of this nasty bug.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

Apparently, kids should be exposed to coronavirus in order to prevent child abuse...
The whole press briefing is alarming, but the most ridiculous inference is at 9:50 where the press secretary notices an alarming reduction in the reporting of child abuse during the pandemic. WTF?!!! Do these people really believe that we are that stupid?

The top responses on Youtube are:
Nicks Clips 2 days ago:

How annoying it must be to be in a room of a bunch of adults acting like children.. Grow the hell up

frankjake 1 day ago:

I can’t believe these reporters ask such stupid questions week after week. Their parents did a terrible job raising them, they are constantly interrupting.

Micky Mantle 1 day ago:

Still, not one SINGLE question about young children being shot in Dem controlled city's !!
Edit: I re-watched this appalling video and checked the comments once again. All the comments are negative chiding the press. It's a Tampa video piece. Enjoy being the epic center of the Coronavirus on the entire earth.
Last edited by SundayJam on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... d-infected
The government reported on Tuesday that two more soldiers who returned last week from a military exercise in the United States have tested positive for coronavirus disease.
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration announcement said both men, aged 22 and 25 years, had been in state quarantine since their arrival back from Hawaii on July 22. Both fell sick last Friday. The younger one had a cough, fever, sore throat, runny nose, excessive phlegm, breathing difficulty, headache, muscle pain and diarrhea. The other had a cough. The two cases raised the total number of confirmed infections in the country to 3,297, of whom 360 were detected in quarantine facilities. Six other soldiers on the same flight had earlier been confirmed as Covid-19 cases. They were quarantined in Chon Buri province. The two men tested positive on Sunday. They were being treated at a hospital in Bangkok.

Of the total cases, 1,809 were recorded in Bangkok and Nonthaburi province, 744 in the South, 538 in the Central Plains, 11 in the Northeast and 95 in the North. Of the total cases, 3,111 had recovered and 128 patients were in hospitals. The death toll remained frozen at 58.

Global Covid-19 cases rose by 229,470 over the previous 24 hours to 16.64 million, during which time the death toll increased by 4,449 to 656,488. The United States had the most cases at 4.43 million, up by 61,571, and the most deaths at 150,444, up by 595 deaths, followed by Brazil with 2.44 million cases, up by 23,579, and India with 1.48 million cases, up by 46,484. Thailand ranked 106th by the number of confirmed cases, the CCSA said.
Lately, the US has been the biggest exporter of covid here. Obviously, being young and healthy doesn't protect someone from the worst that this disease has to offer. I can also only imagine that these soldiers were being super careful, yet 8 returned with the bug.

Was this a RimPac exercise?

IDK, guys. Things are not looking too good for the way this pandemic is being managed. Well, it's being managed here anyway.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

President Donald Trump and his son, Donald Trump Jr., on Monday retweeted a viral video that was yanked by Facebook for pushing “false information about cures and treatments for COVID-19.”

YouTube and Twitter also pulled the video.

The clip, which was originally posted by the right-wing news site Breitbart, featured four people who identified themselves as doctors speaking in front of the Supreme Court building. One was Stella Immanuel, who claims to be a physician in Houston, and said hydroxychloroquine, a malaria drug often touted by Trump, was a cure for COVID-19.
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-co ... 29917.html

Clearly, we are being governed by a baby. Can anyone from the right tell me that this absurd failure to regard science is okay? I await your response.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Trump is continuing to push hydroxychloroquine although the WHO has discontinued the use for the specific Covid-19 virus.
https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/xan ... 12964.html
By Monday evening, Trump had taken the hydroxychloroquine message public, retweeting a series of videos that were later removed by Twitter for containing false and misleading information about mask-wearing and the unproven drug.
He's still trying to push a drug he bought too much of and invested too much of Stimulus money in having American drug companies in manufacturing.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:32 pm Trump is continuing to push hydroxychloroquine although the WHO has discontinued the use for the specific Covid-19 virus.
https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/xan ... 12964.html
By Monday evening, Trump had taken the hydroxychloroquine message public, retweeting a series of videos that were later removed by Twitter for containing false and misleading information about mask-wearing and the unproven drug.
He's still trying to push a drug he bought too much of and invested too much of Stimulus money in having American drug companies in manufacturing.

Link

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -exercises
The army has suspended all plans to send soldiers to military exercises overseas after nine out of 151 soldiers returning from a drill in Hawaii last week tested positive for Covid-19.

Gen Nathaphon Sisawat, an army adviser in his capacity as director of the army’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said the army has learned from the incident. Despite the effort made to prevent soldiers from contracting the virus during the exercise, a significant number were still infected.

He was referring to the Lightning Forge 2020 drill in Hawaii.

Aside from the nine Covid-19 infected soldiers, the rest are now being quarantined in a state quarantine facility to ensure they didn’t contract an asymptomatic form of the virus and go unnoticed, he said.

“We have to accept that it is unsafe and these soldiers were infected with the virus [from the exercise]," he said. "We take this as a lesson for learning how to improve the safety of overseas training during the pandemic."

The infected soldiers will continue to be isolated until they are free of the virus, while those in quarantine will be tested repeatedly until they complete 14 days of compulsory quarantine, he said.

None of the infected soldiers showed severe symptoms.

Gen Nathaphon admitted the group will have to miss follow-up tests and evaluations of the Hawaii exercise, which are scheduled to be held in September and October at the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk in Louisiana.

Asked if the overseas travel suspension policy will affect the army’s planned rotation of a company of engineering soldiers on a special mission in South Sudan, he said the army was monitoring the coronavirus situation where the soldiers now work and has not reached a final decision.

No Thai soldiers in South Sudan have contracted the virus, he said.

The rotation is planned to begin between September and October.

Maximum security measures are maintained in areas where Thai soldiers work with United Nations organizations, he said.
It's hard to say when the world will return to normal at this point. MLB is looking like their season will end soon. The Florida Marlins had an explosion of players testing positive. I think America just had its worst day ever for covid deaths.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 am It's hard to say when the world will return to normal at this point. MLB is looking like their season will end soon. The Florida Marlins had an explosion of players testing positive. I think America just had its worst day ever for covid deaths.
I watched my favorite Giants on tv last evening and I was so bored. I muted the sound and was listening to the podcast of an interview with Portland's naked Athena while watching the game. Once you get past her usage of "yeah" as a verbal crutch, you realize that this woman is very mature and intellectually sound in a lot of areas. She could be a sociology professor some day if she chose that route.
https://soundcloud.com/unrefinedsophist ... view-final
I apologize for the divergence and this being OT. But the coronavirus has caused me to realize that MLB is not all that interesting.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

News-anchor asks a biologist how likely it was that Texas representative Gohmert caught Covid from his mask. The biologist responds that it's the silliest...the dumbest thing he's ever heard. Seriously, this stupidity seems to be overwhelming the Republican party. Do they teach science to Republicans at all?

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/bill-gat ... 42512.html
In an interview with CNBC on Monday, Bill Gates had sharp criticism for the United State’s COVID-19 testing system, calling it a “complete waste” that requires a much shorter turnaround period to be truly effective.

“You should reimburse somebody for getting a test that takes more than 48 hours to get a result back,” Gates said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” “That test is a complete waste. And to all these numbers about how much we test, the majority is just a complete waste. You need to get [a test] back as soon as possible so that somebody can change their behavior — so that they’re not infecting other people.” Nobody should pay one dollar for that,” he said. “You need to prioritize. You need to make sure that ... low-income communities that are most at risk are getting those results back within 24 hours.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nine-of-the- ... 44516.html
While President Trump on Tuesday touted improvements in the coronavirus pandemic in the hard-hit Sun Belt states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that nine of the nation’s top 10 growing hot spots are in Florida and Texas, according to an internal government document obtained by Yahoo News.

The CDC document, a daily update on the coronavirus, identifies counties that are “areas of concern,” because cases are “high and still growing.” Five of the top 10 counties on the list are in Florida, four in Texas and one in Louisiana.

Most striking among those top 10 counties is Miami-Dade in Florida, which has had more than 40,000 new cases over the past two weeks, according to the document. The CDC did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Yahoo News about its rankings of hot spots.
Okay...this is the best video I've seen yet exposing the Tea-Party promoted doctor which Trump is so impressed by.

Link

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 am
SundayJam wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 am It's hard to say when the world will return to normal at this point. MLB is looking like their season will end soon. The Florida Marlins had an explosion of players testing positive. I think America just had its worst day ever for covid deaths.
I watched my favorite Giants on tv last evening and I was so bored. I muted the sound and was listening to the podcast of an interview with Portland's naked Athena while watching the game. Once you get past her usage of "yeah" as a verbal crutch, you realize that this woman is very mature and intellectually sound in a lot of areas. She could be a sociology professor some day if she chose that route.
https://soundcloud.com/unrefinedsophist ... view-final
I apologize for the divergence and this being OT. But the coronavirus has caused me to realize that MLB is not all that interesting.
Digress. A forum is an exchange of ideas. MLB is interesting...just not at this time when so much has been mismanaged. When NBA players flouted protocol at the beginning of the pandemic and then tested positive for the virus...I knew we were in for a shitstorm. The storm continues only because of ignorance. People, please acquire knowledge. I can't stress how important self-awareness and a sense of civic duty can help conquer this EVIL pestilence. It has worked here. It can work in the country of my birth.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

To Texas GOP Rep. Gohmert: "Are you stupid or something?" Wearing a mask has become too much of a political thing and they just need to prevent the spread of Covid-19. The rules for social distancing and masks should be follow to end the spread of the disease.

The push for hydroxychloroquine is insane only because it's being pushed because it's available. Remdesivir which is still being used and may run out by September because the US funded for the wrong drug.

Now, Trump wants to invalidate the November election by preventing the mail-in ballots and he has tweeted that he wants to postpone the November election. He is willing to do anything to change this democracy into an autocracy.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... on/614755/

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

Republicans: it's time to wake up. The Lincoln Project is sponsored by Republicans.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

That's just tooooooo hilarious!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 am That's just tooooooo hilarious!
Should they win the Academy Award for a short film? I'm down on the Republican knuckleheads, but often neglect to show respect to those Republicans who are not afraid to stand up to Trump. The Lincoln Project is Republican. I'm sorry, but looking at this tragedy unfold from the outside has been agonizing. America has been the most powerful country in the world for some time now. How can they mess up a simple public health situation? How did America become the worst affected country in the world, despite being one of the last to be affected? Everyone knew Florida, Texas, and Louisiana...among other knucklehead states...would reap the effects of their callousness months ago. OMG...that Republican representative from Texas blaming his recent mask use for an increased possibility of infection...it's just...it just...perfectly embodies the sentiment of that short film.