2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by Markeke »

Markeke wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 pm I really don't think fall sports can happen. If Hawaii opens travel on Aug.1st, and public school goes on Aug.2nd, that's a lot of unknowns hitting the fan at once. If even 1 high school reports upswing in covid cases, the whole thing will come tumbling down. The minimum thing the OIA should do is play OIA only teams. Plan for an OIA championship if last that long, good. A season with 8 games, start to finish will be a win.
Well, this didn't start well. If this was during the season, and say the Iolani coach was the dline coach, then all dline out for 2 weeks. Plus that coach would have sat down with ALL coaches on a meeting.
Now throw in over a 1000 student atheletes, coaches, staff etc. Wow and Prep football is the biggest challenge for a "social distance" scenerio.
Watching OC16 football games the sidelines is a post Covid nighmare. Maybe start with baseball? In any case, asterisk * 2020 and look to 21.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Markeke wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:40 am
Markeke wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 pm I really don't think fall sports can happen. If Hawaii opens travel on Aug.1st, and public school goes on Aug.2nd, that's a lot of unknowns hitting the fan at once. If even 1 high school reports upswing in covid cases, the whole thing will come tumbling down. The minimum thing the OIA should do is play OIA only teams. Plan for an OIA championship if last that long, good. A season with 8 games, start to finish will be a win.
Well, this didn't start well. If this was during the season, and say the Iolani coach was the dline coach, then all dline out for 2 weeks. Plus that coach would have sat down with ALL coaches on a meeting.
Now throw in over a 1000 student atheletes, coaches, staff etc. Wow and Prep football is the biggest challenge for a "social distance" scenerio.
Watching OC16 football games the sidelines is a post Covid nighmare. Maybe start with baseball? In any case, asterisk * 2020 and look to 21.
@Markeke: This is the horrible reality of COVID-19. High school sports simply might not be able to happen this school year. If the virus rages out of control, the high schools might have to shut down, like they did during the last quarter of school year 2019-2020. We can't be having students and teachers getting knocked-out by the virus. This could happen even without sports.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) just moved all high school Fall Sports (including football) to Spring 2021.....

https://cifstate.org/covid-19/7.20.20_release
https://cifstate.org/mediacenter/releas ... _Final.pdf https://twitter.com/Stadium/status/1285246684386283521 https://twitter.com/CIFState/status/1285243639237468160 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1285384106394566657 https://twitter.com/HawaiiPrepWorld/status/1285421471339171840

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

With the way that this covid-19 is going, i can't see how football could be played this fall or anytime soon after. Kids going back to school aren't even allowed to be 6 feet from each other in the classroom...how do they go from that to practicing full contact football?? LOL!! I don't understand how that would work. The HHSAA needs to push the high risk fall sports back to January like California, and stop trying to push this August or September or October date. move the low risk sports up to fall. i see baseball and softball games going on at the park. i even saw a basketball league running games, not sure how that is safe? But they're out there playing. Move the low risk sports up, they'll be ready to play, most of those sports lost their season in spring. Don't start with the sport that has the most participants and tons of contact...where's the logic in that?

Move it to spring, set a date to begin in January, use the months of august and September like you would April and may if it were a regular season. Use it to do off season weight lifting and conditioning, in small groups, ease it back. The kids haven't been able to work out at their schools or with their teams. Use august and September to start that process. Then November and December start up practices, 7 on 7 stuff, scrimmages. January games begin. This is the California model, not sure if it will be possible come January but they have a concrete plan with time to set guidelines and protocols. Bottom line, it has to be safe for the players and coaches.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:42 am With the way that this covid-19 is going, i can't see how football could be played this fall or anytime soon after. Kids going back to school aren't even allowed to be 6 feet from each other in the classroom...how do they go from that to practicing full contact football?? LOL!! I don't understand how that would work. The HHSAA needs to push the high risk fall sports back to January like California, and stop trying to push this August or September or October date. move the low risk sports up to fall. i see baseball and softball games going on at the park. i even saw a basketball league running games, not sure how that is safe? But they're out there playing. Move the low risk sports up, they'll be ready to play, most of those sports lost their season in spring. Don't start with the sport that has the most participants and tons of contact...where's the logic in that?

Move it to spring, set a date to begin in January, use the months of august and September like you would April and may if it were a regular season. Use it to do off season weight lifting and conditioning, in small groups, ease it back. The kids haven't been able to work out at their schools or with their teams. Use august and September to start that process. Then November and December start up practices, 7 on 7 stuff, scrimmages. January games begin. This is the California model, not sure if it will be possible come January but they have a concrete plan with time to set guidelines and protocols. Bottom line, it has to be safe for the players and coaches.
If there is no football between September and December, I hope the seniors can play.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HHSAAsports/status/1291206388086001664 https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/status/1291211722846547974 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1291212568137093121

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I've heard that as part of the most recent shutdown on Oahu, Caldwell has closed bowling alleys. Can anyone confirm that? If that's the case, then the only sport allowed in Oahu high schools is air riflery. Imagine: Oahu high schools down to one sport. And even that one sport isn't going to happen until after the additional four-week shutdown of Oahu high schools imposed two days ago. So, Oahu students on their school's air riflery teams can't even start practicing until what, September 14? This is what Oahu high-school sports has come down to.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

A former assistant AD at Ohio State University said he's very certain that there'll be no college football this school year; not even during Spring semester. Well, if COVID-19 makes it too dangerous for college football, it's too dangerous for high school football. HHSAA should cancel high school football this school year. We'll have to wait 'til next school year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Davis over Herriman 24-20. First game of the season in Utah.

Prep soccer has been played earlier in the week with around 20+matches in the books.Hope things work out for the people there.

Iowa resumed baseball and softball around midsummer and finished crowning champs in all classifications last weekend. There were some bumps. Around 35 of the 300+ Iowa schools had player/players test positive for Covid-19. Of those ,only one school stopped competing as far as I could research it.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/feature ... at-o-line/

This article caught my eye and included this quote: "I know Kamehameha has a partnership to help Native Hawaiian kids at Saint Louis."

If that's a fact, it might factor into Kamehameha's struggles since 2014. If I were a Kamehameha alum, that quote would infuriate the hell out of me.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:01 pm https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/feature ... at-o-line/

This article caught my eye and included this quote: "I know Kamehameha has a partnership to help Native Hawaiian kids at Saint Louis."

If that's a fact, it might factor into Kamehameha's struggles since 2014. If I were a Kamehameha alum, that quote would infuriate the hell out of me.
@gopunahou: Good point. We all know that you have to have Hawaiian blood to attend Kamehameha Schools, so it's not surprising that that school would want to help students with Hawaiian blood, even those attending other schools. I suspect that only Kamehameha alumni who are rabid football fans would be pissed about their alma mater helping a football-rival school like St Louis School. But, I suspect most other Kamehameha alumni might accept it as a noble effort to help fellow Hawaiians, regardless of which school they attend.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:37 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:01 pm https://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/feature ... at-o-line/

@gopunahou: Good point. We all know that you have to have Hawaiian blood to attend Kamehameha Schools, so it's not surprising that that school would want to help students with Hawaiian blood, even those attending other schools. I suspect that only Kamehameha alumni who are rabid football fans would be pissed about their alma mater helping a football-rival school like St Louis School. But, I suspect most other Kamehameha alumni might accept it as a noble effort to help fellow Hawaiians, regardless of which school they attend.
True, but it makes as much sense as Punahou helping low-income kids afford to attend Iolani.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Bernice Pauahi Bishop left an estate,part of which funds Kamehameha schools to this day. She lived in a time when white men took over the islands. She lived long enough to see those people bring in Chinese And Japanese people as laborers into Hawaii. Maybe she just wanted to make sure there would still be Hawaiians in the world. So,if Kamehameha Schools want to provide help to other Hawaiian kids even if they go to St.Louis, no big thing.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:44 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:37 pm

True, but it makes as much sense as Punahou helping low-income kids afford to attend Iolani.
@gopunahou: Well, yes. Again, Kamehameha alumni who are rabid football fans probably resent their alma mater helping students at a football-rival school like St Louis School. But, again, I strongly suspect that Kamehameha alumni who aren't that much into football, might be more concerned about helping Hawaiian students, no matter which school those students attend. I think Kamehameha Schools is different in that, as a private school for Hawaiian students, it probably considers itself "on a mission" to help as many Hawaiians as possible. So, that school will probably do that, and there probably aren't enough alumni who would object to that. At least, not enough to cause the school to end that mission of helping Hawaiian students at St Louis School, for example.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

What might football season look like if there is one this school year? We are in the process of finding out possible outcomes watching states who are going ahead with football in the fall.

Utah played the first games last week and will be joined by Tennessee, North Dakota,South Dakota,Indiana,plus more this week and in the next few weeks.

The sample size is small right now,but there is one thing that seems to be clear from scanning news sites from the states that are playing in fall. The virus will surface when full practices start. Six Utah schools had positive test results during summer camp. There were 52 games statewide last week and one or two were canceled because of the virus. Utah is going ahead with week two. In the states that are starting this week, camp has gone similar to Utah. A few teams in each of those states have had positive Covid test results. Indiana has two games canceled because an opponent has had a recent positive result and can't be cleared to play. Tennessee and the two Dakotas have each had one opening week game canceled due to recent positive.

Quotes from coaches,players ,fans,students,and admins run the gamut. Some coaches are into going ahead,others are doing their job but they are worried about a cluster of Covid cases breaking out in their communities. One Utah
principal said that This is over my pay grade.

It's not just football. In each of the states I've looked at,volleyball,golf and soccer are among the sports being played now. These sports don't get as much coverage as football,but, what little I can gather , it's the same story. A few schools get positive results in camp.The season begins and two games get canceled statewide.

That's how it seems to play out in camp and into opening week.

We will see how the rest of the season plays out . Success? Shutdown? Something in between?