Coronavirus

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ubercow »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Irse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 am
SundayJam wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm
It makes sense, doesn't it? We know now that it was a tenacious bug that didn't promote obvious symptoms right away. All the while, the bug was being spread. Back in the day, Japanese used to be the number 1 visitor to Hawaii. I can only guess that Koreans and Chinese have increased as well. I can't remember so many Europeans visiting Hawaii. Americans...making a second trip to Hawaii after vacationing in Europe...I doubt it.
I would think that if it came directly from Asia, we would have seen it much earlier and much more severe than the east coast. Americans could have gotten if from friends or family that went to Europe or from Europeans that came to America for a vacation then the Americans came to visit Hawaii.
All I know is that Hawaii hosts an awful lot of Asian tourists. Asia was hit first and is the source of bug. Don't you remember that Japanese cruise ship early on? Those are typical Hawaiian tourists. Do the math. In Thailand, we diagnosed the first external spread of the virus, and yet we received very little damage. So, I think there are many factors as to why one place gets hit harder than another.
so you want people here to ignore countries documented infection timelines, Hawaii's infection locations and numbers, and go with your gut feeling because "it makes sense" to someone that doesn't live here and doesn't know that tourists from china couldn't come here since january and tourists/non-tourists from ALL countries/states have stopped coming here since march due to the quarantine we have?

that's not "doing the math".

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

ubercow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:33 pm
SundayJam wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:08 pm
Irse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 am

I would think that if it came directly from Asia, we would have seen it much earlier and much more severe than the east coast. Americans could have gotten if from friends or family that went to Europe or from Europeans that came to America for a vacation then the Americans came to visit Hawaii.
All I know is that Hawaii hosts an awful lot of Asian tourists. Asia was hit first and is the source of bug. Don't you remember that Japanese cruise ship early on? Those are typical Hawaiian tourists. Do the math. In Thailand, we diagnosed the first external spread of the virus, and yet we received very little damage. So, I think there are many factors as to why one place gets hit harder than another.
so you want people here to ignore countries documented infection timelines, Hawaii's infection locations and numbers, and go with your gut feeling because "it makes sense" to someone that doesn't live here and doesn't know that tourists from china couldn't come here since january and tourists/non-tourists from ALL countries/states have stopped coming here since march due to the quarantine we have?

that's not "doing the math".
January and February were the months when the thing spread. Are you saying there were NO Asian tourists in January, February, and March? That's pretty hard to believe. During those months, we had people returning from Korea and Japan that were diagnosed with Covid19.

Anyway, this is just chit-chat and irrelevant to the situation today. Curiously, we had one returnee from Japan today with the bug.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:25 pm January and February were the months when the thing spread. Are you saying there were NO Asian tourists in January, February, and March? That's pretty hard to believe. During those months, we had people returning from Korea and Japan that were diagnosed with Covid19.
if there were early infections in January, February, No one would have gone into self-quarantine and hospitals didn't have any protocol setup at the time. Everything shut down nationwide in March. When they started mass testing 2 full months later, you would have seen a large swatch of infections here and lots of community spread. The virus wasn't magically not infectious for a couple of months.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

ubercow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 pm
SundayJam wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:25 pm January and February were the months when the thing spread. Are you saying there were NO Asian tourists in January, February, and March? That's pretty hard to believe. During those months, we had people returning from Korea and Japan that were diagnosed with Covid19.
if there were early infections in January, February, No one would have gone into self-quarantine and hospitals didn't have any protocol setup at the time. Everything shut down nationwide in March. When they started mass testing 2 full months later, you would have seen a large swatch of infections here and lots of community spread. The virus wasn't magically not infectious for a couple of months.
A-symptomatic transmissions? Someone has a dry hacking cough and doesn't go to the hospital? Has Hawaii had mass testing? In some ways this monstrosity is like the flu. It affects some more than others. Yet, the monster still spreads. You're right, no one went into self quarantine at that time and as result may have unknowingly spread the disease. I'm not saying it's impossible for the pandemic not to have come to Hawaii in a round-a-bout way from Europe, but it is believable that it came directly to Hawaii from some Asian source.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -next-year
CU-Cov19 -- a novel coronavirus vaccine being developed by a Thai research team in collaboration with the University of Pennsylvania -- is expected to enter mass production by the end of the third quarter next year, the research team said on Sunday.
According to him, the first phase of human trials is going to begin in October, followed by the second phase from December to March 2021. As the third phase of human trials requires over 10,000 participants for the results to be valid, Thailand -- due to its relatively low number of cases -- will seek the cooperation of Brazil, India and Indonesia to carry out the tests.

"However, the third phase can be skipped altogether if the United States' Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) approves another mRNA vaccine for Covid-19 before ours," said Dr Kiat.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

ImageImageImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Why does Ige always have to have the news conference during the Dr. Oz show? Dr. Oz is more informative.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:04 pm
ubercow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 pm
A-symptomatic transmissions? Someone has a dry hacking cough and doesn't go to the hospital? Has Hawaii had mass testing? In some ways this monstrosity is like the flu. It affects some more than others. Yet, the monster still spreads. You're right, no one went into self quarantine at that time and as result may have unknowingly spread the disease. I'm not saying it's impossible for the pandemic not to have come to Hawaii in a round-a-bout way from Europe, but it is believable that it came directly to Hawaii from some Asian source.

Link

Link

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 pm Why does Ige always have to have the news conference during the Dr. Oz show? Dr. Oz is more informative.
I just can't handle listening to Fozzie Bear.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:29 am
SundayJam wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:04 pm
ubercow wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 pm if there were early infections in January, February, No one would have gone into self-quarantine and hospitals didn't have any protocol setup at the time. Everything shut down nationwide in March. When they started mass testing 2 full months later, you would have seen a large swatch of infections here and lots of community spread. The virus wasn't magically not infectious for a couple of months.
yeah, in my last post I was referring to how your timeline was missing 2 months of asymptomatic transmissions. but that's ok, you don't live here and don't have access to Hawaii's timelines so I can see how it's a hard hill to climb without these numbers and dates as a foundation. I'll just keep myself out of your thread.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:07 am
Irse wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 pm Why does Ige always have to have the news conference during the Dr. Oz show? Dr. Oz is more informative.
I just can't handle listening to Fozzie Bear.
lol, the voice always made me think muppets, but fozzie is the exact one he sounds like

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

ubercow wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am yeah, in my last post I was referring to how your timeline was missing 2 months of asymptomatic transmissions. but that's ok, you don't live here and don't have access to Hawaii's timelines so I can see how it's a hard hill to climb without these numbers and dates as a foundation. I'll just keep myself out of your thread.
Okay...okay. I was speculating that the virus most likely came from a direct Asian source. That's all. I did check the time line to make sure I wasn't delusional. Hawaii had its first reported cases on March 6, 14, and 18. Essential-only travel began March 18. A 14 day quarantine was not put in place for visitors until March 21. In Thailand, we had been exposed to 33 cases of the virus from Asian sources by mid February. You can't tell me that there were no Asian visitors at all in Hawaii before the incoming flights were limited March 18. Yes, flights from China were stopped at the end of January. What, Hawaiians never visit Japan or Korea? They couldn't have returned before March 21?

I'm sorry to make a beef about some manini thing. My original intent was just banter with Irse, and it certainly isn't important that you agree with me over a speculation. Peace out.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 am
ubercow wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am yeah, in my last post I was referring to how your timeline was missing 2 months of asymptomatic transmissions. but that's ok, you don't live here and don't have access to Hawaii's timelines so I can see how it's a hard hill to climb without these numbers and dates as a foundation. I'll just keep myself out of your thread.
Okay...okay. I was speculating that the virus most likely came from a direct Asian source. That's all. I did check the time line to make sure I wasn't delusional. Hawaii had its first reported cases on March 6, 14, and 18. Essential-only travel began March 18. A 14 day quarantine was not put in place for visitors until March 21. In Thailand, we had been exposed to 33 cases of the virus from Asian sources by mid February. You can't tell me that there were no Asian visitors at all in Hawaii before the incoming flights were limited March 18. Yes, flights from China were stopped at the end of January. What, Hawaiians never visit Japan or Korea? They couldn't have returned before March 21?

I'm sorry to make a beef about some manini thing. My original intent was just banter with Irse, and it certainly isn't important that you agree with me over a speculation. Peace out.
My idea was that if it came directly from Asia, why did it take so long before people got infected since there is so much travel from Asia? We should have gotten it about the same time as other Asian countries.
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:57 am
SundayJam wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:22 am

My idea was that if it came directly from Asia, why did it take so long before people got infected since there is so much travel from Asia? We should have gotten it about the same time as other Asian countries.
It's a mystery...bro. Did Hawaii have a better class of tourist? Maybe. Why wouldn't Japanese, Korean, Indian, Chinese, and Thai tourists travel to Hawaii...and Hawaiians likewise travel to those countries and return? I swear, as I watched this tragedy unfold...I saw more random, bumpkin, Chinese tourists than I've ever seen habitate my space ever before. Sure, it was probably a heightened awareness...because of our early knowledge of the contagion. My buddy in Maui agreed.

The answer is unimportant. Hawaii fared better than most US states. Hawaii is full of warm...loving people. This is conducive to virus spread. Hawaiians also respect. This helped to counter the...show of aloha. Spread from secondary countries like Korea and Japan slowed the transmission...I believe.

I don't know. I hope all Hawaiians respect the kupuna and wear masks. Aloha.