Way early Open/D-I Top Ten 2020 (Hope they can play.)

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Way early Open/D-I Top Ten 2020 (Hope they can play.)

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm If the St. Louis-Mater Dei game indeed happens, the Crusaders will meet a team that produces QBs just as well as they. This is a school that's seen two alums (John Huarte and Matt Leinart) win Heisman trophies and given colleges the likes of Billy Blanton (who killed Iolani--during HS :D --and UH during college), Matt Barkley, JT Daniels, and Bryce Young. Not to mention Colt Brennan. Needless to say, Mater Dei is a QB factory.
@gopunahou: A new guy on the football thread I started some time back claims that St Louis School does have decent QBs waiting in the wings. According to you and unpaid, they don't. Who's right?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

AJ Bianco will probably turn out to be better than a decent QB in the next two years.I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum that he was at an Elite Eleven camp earlier in the year. You don't get invited to an Elite Eleven event unless scouts are interested enough to see a player in person. That said, Bianco,Apo,and Graham did not establish who was going to replace DeLaura this fall by their play on the field last year. I feel that Bianco will win the starting job,but with no spring practice,there won't be much time for the new QB to stake his claim.All of their 3 and 4 star WR's have graduated, so the new guys there will have to step up.

Be careful about putting words in my mouth.I never said St.Louis doesn't have any decent QB's. I said that none of last year's backups looked better than the other two,but that I thought Bianco would be the guy who wins the job in the fall.

Punahou has a big advantage with Sagapolutele returning at QB. Threw for over 2100 yards as a freshman and has some good receivers returning. JK has been to a few camps this summer,and has stood out in the scouts eyes in two of them that I saw evaluations on player performances.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm If the St. Louis-Mater Dei game indeed happens, the Crusaders will meet a team that produces QBs just as well as they. This is a school that's seen two alums (John Huarte and Matt Leinart) win Heisman trophies and given colleges the likes of Billy Blanton (who killed Iolani--during HS :D --and UH during college), Matt Barkley, JT Daniels, and Bryce Young. Not to mention Colt Brennan. Needless to say, Mater Dei is a QB factory.
Can't forget Max Wittek :D

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:35 am HS Football Fanatic,

AJ Bianco will probably turn out to be better than a decent QB in the next two years.I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum that he was at an Elite Eleven camp earlier in the year. You don't get invited to an Elite Eleven event unless scouts are interested enough to see a player in person. That said, Bianco,Apo,and Graham did not establish who was going to replace DeLaura this fall by their play on the field last year. I feel that Bianco will win the starting job,but with no spring practice,there won't be much time for the new QB to stake his claim.All of their 3 and 4 star WR's have graduated, so the new guys there will have to step up.

Be careful about putting words in my mouth.I never said St.Louis doesn't have any decent QB's. I said that none of last year's backups looked better than the other two,but that I thought Bianco would be the guy who wins the job in the fall.

Punahou has a big advantage with Sagapolutele returning at QB. Threw for over 2100 yards as a freshman and has some good receivers returning. JK has been to a few camps this summer,and has stood out in the scouts eyes in two of them that I saw evaluations on player performances.
@unpaid: OK. All I remembered when I posted was that you felt St Louis didn't have an outstanding QB; I wasn't trying to imply that you said St Louis will suck at QB.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Neighbor wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:33 pm
Can't forget Max Wittek :D
Yeah, although he kind of got lost in the shuffle because of bad coaching.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have reinstated Damien to the way early rank. In the thrill-a-minute roller coaster ride that is Damien athletics in the past week, the new administration says we are playing football. I'll take them at their word,since they rehired Coach Klaneski.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If the games do happen, I hope that DJ Utu can provide the kind of leadership Manti and Jonathan Overton did. The past two years, he's already experienced the very same things his dad did--giving St. Louis its toughest competition and falling short.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Punahou has a ton of returning players, with a lot of experience and will be hard to beat whenever they decide to play the season. Lau being named the HC is a blessing, if Ane was STILL there i'd say stl would have a better chance to win. LOL but with lau running the offense and Kia running the defense, Punahou will be a better coached team for sure. Stl lost a lot, A LOT!! LOL 7 D1 players on defense alone...gone. Not to mention A D1 qb, 2 D1 WRs and 2 of the best slotbacks in the state...that's a ton of experience to replace. I think they have a lot of young talent, but experience is hard to beat.
The other interesting thing that I've been hearing, and maybe someone can confirm this, but some kids have been moving to other states to play fall football because of the uncertainty of hawaii having a season. i heard a player from Kamehameha and kahuku recently transferred to schools in Utah to play this fall. maybe more will follow once Hawaii moves the season to spring, which i believe that they will do.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:06 pm Punahou has a ton of returning players, with a lot of experience and will be hard to beat whenever they decide to play the season. Lau being named the HC is a blessing, if Ane was STILL there i'd say stl would have a better chance to win. LOL but with lau running the offense and Kia running the defense, Punahou will be a better coached team for sure. Stl lost a lot, A LOT!! LOL 7 D1 players on defense alone...gone. Not to mention A D1 qb, 2 D1 WRs and 2 of the best slotbacks in the state...that's a ton of experience to replace. I think they have a lot of young talent, but experience is hard to beat.
The other interesting thing that I've been hearing, and maybe someone can confirm this, but some kids have been moving to other states to play fall football because of the uncertainty of hawaii having a season. i heard a player from Kamehameha and kahuku recently transferred to schools in Utah to play this fall. maybe more will follow once Hawaii moves the season to spring, which i believe that they will do.
This current team reminds me of the 2016 edition, which is the last Hawaii team to have beaten St. Louis. We can have an edge of over that squad if we find a RB.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I will update the team capsules to reflect transfers and early graduates.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Looks like Kahuku suffers the biggest talent drain due to Covid disrupting life in general.Originally,I felt like Punahou,St.Louis and Kahuku formed the top tier of contenders for an Open title this season.After the exodus of players to the mainland ,I think Kahuku drops down to the second tier with Mililani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 am Looks like Kahuku suffers the biggest talent drain due to Covid disrupting life in general.Originally,I felt like Punahou,St.Louis and Kahuku formed the top tier of contenders for an Open title this season.After the exodus of players to the mainland ,I think Kahuku drops down to the second tier with Mililani.
@unpaid: I think you'd agree with me that, if and when football begins, Punahou School will likely take State Open. For that reason, I'm hoping there's no football this school year. I simply do not want to suffer the anguish of seeing that school take the title. After this school year, most of their best players graduate.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have updated the Punahou capsule on page one to reflect a WR who has received a three star recruit ranking from 247sports.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have updated the St.Louis and Campbell capsules to reflect juniors who have made it into 247sports latest update
rank for class of 2022 players.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have updated the Kailua capsule to reflect that a player has decided to enroll early in college.

Indications are that the Department of Health and the HHSAA are sticking to their requirement that schools have to be 100 percent in school instruction before sports can resume. Add in the talk from some ILH football coaches in that StarAdvertiser article indicating that the ILH is planning to have an all-ILH season and you have to wonder if any sports are going to be played in January. If the OIA schools can’t meet the 100% requirement for winter semester , then I don’t think any public schools will be playing come January in Hawaii.