Coronavirus

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Coronavirus

Post by shrek2 »

I wonder if people are going to put one and one together and get two.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/co ... d=primentp
My take on the virus is that it's not spreading in Mexico because of the warm climate and the virus does not do well in warm weather. The virus can still spread but does not attack the immune system as well in warm weather. However, my guess is the more vulnerable people in the population always have to look out because it can be as bad as H1N1 or SARS or MERS.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

uhwarriors wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 pm 29 new cases as of 3/30/20 for a total of 204 cases. KHON hasn't put up their graph yet. This is my graph. I'll change it out later when KHON posts their's.

I think it is fair to say there are many that got this and will never know. I don’t know if sickness in my family a month ago was from this. Everyone is left wondering. The good news is that we aren’t seeing a rapid growth in positive tests yet. There is still hope that daily counts of new cases won’t be in the hundreds.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

I meant to post this a few days ago but neglected to. This was aired 4 days ago and has 9 million view so I think my instincts were correct the first time. It's more great insight from Dr. Fauci.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

they posted of map where the cases are located:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Lucky you live Hawaii.

I met a guy at my development's convenience store with a Maui Built t-shirt some months ago. I said, "You from Maui?" He said, "How you know?" I then pointed at his shirt. He said he lived in Kihei. I lived there. Then, I said that I graduated from Kalaheo on Oahu. He gave me the finger and said he lived on Malaniu and went to Kalaheo too. I haven't seen that guy again.

With Hawaii being a major hub and destination for Asia, I'm surprised this thing didn't blow up like the rest of the world. :hello1:
Last edited by SundayJam on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

All I can say is, "Lucky you live Hawaii."

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:55 pm I wonder if people are going to put one and one together and get two.
My take on the virus is that it's not spreading in Mexico because of the warm climate and the virus does not do well in warm weather. The virus can still spread but does not attack the immune system as well in warm weather. However, my guess is the more vulnerable people in the population always have to look out because it can be as bad as H1N1 or SARS or MERS.
there's no guarantee hot weather means safe. scientists are saying it 'may' ease a bit because that's what happened with other corona viruses encountered. malaysia and the philippines are hotter now than Hawaii gets and they have a bunch of cases. new orleans and florida are hotter than us and they have a _ton_ of cases.

i'm hoping there's an easing because that means there may be a mild reprieve from whats going on now. as for mexico, my personal guess is that they're probably going to get hit bad in a bit. asians and europeans (who got hit first) don't go to mexico, americans do. and now that america got it in droves, it's likely to start spreading there.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:59 pm
uhwarriors wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 pm 29 new cases as of 3/30/20 for a total of 204 cases. KHON hasn't put up their graph yet. This is my graph. I'll change it out later when KHON posts their's.
I think it is fair to say there are many that got this and will never know. I don’t know if sickness in my family a month ago was from this. Everyone is left wondering. The good news is that we aren’t seeing a rapid growth in positive tests yet. There is still hope that daily counts of new cases won’t be in the hundreds.
For 3/23. 3/24 and 3/25, the number of confirmed cases doubled in 5 days from each date. For example, on 3/25 there were 95 cases. 5 days later on 3/30, there are 201 cases or a little more than double. If the current 5 day doubling rate continues, there will be nearly 15,000 cases on 4/30. I think all the health officials are hoping that the lockdown and quarantine will have an effect and the numbers won't explode like this. On the other hand:
Dr. Jim Ireland, a community physician who works closely with Dr. Miscovich and Lt. Gov. Josh Green, estimates at least 500 undiagnosed cases are on Oahu alone.

Dr. Miscovich added that most of the professional community are "thinking there's probably 800 to 1,000 unidentified cases on Oahu right now, and that would also be across the neighbor islands. We need to test them we need to find them, we need to isolate them, we need to treat them and I still am very confident that we have the ability to flatten the curve."
https://www.kitv.com/story/41950016/doc ... g-reported

Here's the theoretical math if the confirmed cases continue to double every 5 days.

3/23 77
3/24 89
3/25 95
3/26 106
3/27 122
3/28 151
3/29 175
3/30 201
3/31 231
4/1 265
4/2 305
4/3 350
4/4 403
4/5 463
4/6 532
4/7 611
4/8 702
4/9 806
4/10 927
4/11 1,065
4/12 1,223
4/13 1,406
4/14 1,615
4/15 1,856
4/16 2,132
4/17 2,450
4/18 2,815
4/19 3,234
4/20 3,716
4/21 4,270
4/22 4,906
4/23 5,637
4/24 6,477
4/25 7,442
4/26 8,551
4/27 9,825
4/28 11,289
4/29 12,971
4/30 14,903

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

ubercow wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 pm
shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:55 pm I wonder if people are going to put one and one together and get two.
new orleans and florida are hotter than us and they have a _ton_ of cases.

One thing about those two places is that they were dumb enough to let Mardi Gras and Spring Break to occur which put millions of people in close proximity to each other. They put money in front of people's health.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Dr. Jim Ireland, a community physician who works closely with Dr. Miscovich and Lt. Gov. Josh Green, estimates at least 500 undiagnosed cases are on Oahu alone.

Dr. Miscovich added that most of the professional community are "thinking there's probably 800 to 1,000 unidentified cases on Oahu right now, and that would also be across the neighbor islands. We need to test them we need to find them, we need to isolate them, we need to treat them and I still am very confident that we have the ability to flatten the curve."
I'm sure there are hundreds of undiagnosed cases. They won't even test unless the person has certain symptoms. Also, someone may be asymptomatic and not know they have the virus so they have no reason to believe that they need to be tested.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:23 am

One thing about those two places is that they were dumb enough to let Mardi Gras and Spring Break to occur which put millions of people in close proximity to each other. They put money in front of people's health.
I've only been to New Orleans once in August and it rained really hard one day and the rain was cold. I remember sitting in an unusually strong rain outside at Aston Waikiki in my tank top and shorts having my hamburger and beer and not having a real need to get under cover except my beer was getting watered down. Doesn't Florida sometimes have frost that sometimes destroys the orange crops? I agree that the Mardi Gras and Spring Break helped in the spread but I suspect it's still cold in those areas until about May. Temps around where I live, the temps were about highs of 70s in February but 60s in March. I also had snow in April in 2018 which I've never seen. There's all kinds of climate changes that's helping the spread of the disease. That's just me adding one and one and getting three possibly.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Here's another take on the coronavirus. Get it now and get it out of the way for the Formula 1 drivers.
https://www.newser.com/story/288885/for ... ected.html

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:27 am

I've only been to New Orleans once in August and it rained really hard one day and the rain was cold. I remember sitting in an unusually strong rain outside at Aston Waikiki in my tank top and shorts having my hamburger and beer and not having a real need to get under cover except my beer was getting watered down. Doesn't Florida sometimes have frost that sometimes destroys the orange crops? I agree that the Mardi Gras and Spring Break helped in the spread but I suspect it's still cold in those areas until about May. Temps around where I live, the temps were about highs of 70s in February but 60s in March. I also had snow in April in 2018 which I've never seen. There's all kinds of climate changes that's helping the spread of the disease. That's just me adding one and one and getting three possibly.
New Orleans can be still cold during Mardi Gras, Florida should be pretty warm during spring break.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

All the negative news about the virus, this is a positive act of human kindness where a police officer stopping a doctor for speeding, gives him his PPE instead and just lets her go with a warning.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-min ... d=primedhp

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

ubercow wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 pm new orleans and florida are hotter than us and they have a _ton_ of cases.
mardi gras 2020 was february 25. due to details that would probably better go in the other thread they couldn't have had the information to know that having mardi gras would be a problem. as for spring break tho, mass notification about social distancing and limiting group sizes was probably introduced the week of/before spring break so those spring breakers and that state's government seriously should have shut that down cuz all states were shutting everything down at that point.