Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Political discussion of the Corona Virus Pandemic

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:46 pm GW ignored the financial peril which unfolded during his 2 term presidency. Now, this fiasco is all on Trump. He is the one who chose to politicize it. First, he denied that it was going to be a threat to America. I can guess that he was worried about the appearance of the economy. He then attempted to use the early news to put down the democrats claiming that it was just a hoax created to upset his re-election. Now, he's blaming Obama and has ineptly handled the logistics.
SundayJam waiting for the time when you start inviting people to your work country. Never been. Anyway, rather than try to stir the fire about our past presidents or past politics, how about we keep this thread to our politics on the coronavirus. I've seen toxic comments on news articles where there's name calling and bashing of just about everything. Nothing is sacred. If anything, let's try to keep this post a little classy by sticking to the script. You're a good person so don't get down to the level of the terrible social media posts and terrible comments on news articles that are posted online.

What are your thoughts about re-opening of businesses? What are your thoughts about Trump attempting to quarantine states? Stay safe.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:09 pm
SundayJam waiting for the time when you start inviting people to your work country. Never been. Anyway, rather than try to stir the fire about our past presidents or past politics, how about we keep this thread to our politics on the coronavirus. I've seen toxic comments on news articles where there's name calling and bashing of just about everything. Nothing is sacred. If anything, let's try to keep this post a little classy by sticking to the script. You're a good person so don't get down to the level of the terrible social media posts and terrible comments on news articles that are posted online.

What are your thoughts about re-opening of businesses? What are your thoughts about Trump attempting to quarantine states? Stay safe.
I posted nothing nasty. It isn't really about politics but leadership. My intro regarding GW's leadership failure could have included the whole Iraq war nonsense as well. The real question is whether this failure will cost us more lives.

Anyone is welcome to call should they visit my new home. I doubt that will be anytime soon. I've been out of work since March 14. Most of the country's non-essential workers are out until April 30th at this point. We had 143 new cases diagnosed today bringing the total to 1,388. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed and only a handful of people have died. I wouldn't call the leadership here exemplary but everyone I know was taking this threat seriously as far back as January.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Oh snap, I can't believe I didn't make the connection between a GW blunder and Trump's current one: 9/11!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 50084.html
Chapter 8 of the 9/11 Commission Report was titled, The System Was Blinking Red. The quote came from the former CIA director George Tenet, who was characterizing the summer of 2001, when the intelligence community’s multiple reporting streams indicated an imminent aviation terrorist attack inside the United States. Despite the warnings and frenzied efforts of some counter-terrorism officials, the 9/11 Commission determined “We see little evidence that the progress of the plot was disturbed by any government action … Time ran out.”

Last week, the Washington Post reported on the steady drumbeat of coronavirus warnings that the intelligence community presented to the White House in January and February. These alerts made little impact upon senior administration officials, who were undoubtedly influenced by President Donald Trump’s constant derision of the virus, which he began on 22 January: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

Sadly, Iran's fundamentalist government reaction mirrors our own: Fueled by Politics and Religion.

I hope you all are safe and remain so. I am grateful to remain healthy.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 pm I posted nothing nasty. It isn't really about politics but leadership. My intro regarding GW's leadership failure could have included the whole Iraq war nonsense as well. The real question is whether this failure will cost us more lives.

Anyone is welcome to call should they visit my new home. I doubt that will be anytime soon. I've been out of work since March 14. Most of the country's non-essential workers are out until April 30th at this point. We had 143 new cases diagnosed today bringing the total to 1,388. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed and only a handful of people have died. I wouldn't call the leadership here exemplary but everyone I know was taking this threat seriously as far back as January.
I wish you would have posted something about the virus back then, I wouldn't have lost beaucoup $$$ on the stock market. :lol: Not too concerned though, because I'm in it for the long haul. Too bad for the family from Seattle that lost $20,000 due to the travel ban.
https://money.yahoo.com/confusion-over- ... 25013.html
I have a friend who was passing through Hawaii who took a course in the MBA program (graduate of Duke MBA) going back home to Bangkok and has a business there and invited me to come over but had too much going on. His name was Pradit C... (not for print for view but it was a long last name because he was a Chinese Thai so they tend to have long last names). Gotta go some day. My thinking is isolation may be eased with the new development by Abbott Labs. Testing results in 5 minutes.
https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/new ... -that.html
This is something I think Trump is going to push because he wants to reopen businesses so that the economy looks rosy before November. Regardless, I think he will still be taking his victory laps at all his press conferences.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Well, Trump finally admitted we're in trouble. The USA is shut down till the end of April. New York is just imploding. The leadership in America is so pathetic.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

When Trump move the shutdown date from Easter to end of April, he's going to cause the market to go down tomorrow. Just my intuition. He did take his victory lap with the Abbott device. I would doubt at this point anybody can fathom what it's going to do to the 2034 Social Security mess especially in light of the next stimulus bill to stabilize the economy.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:59 pm When Trump move the shutdown date from Easter to end of April, he's going to cause the market to go down tomorrow. Just my intuition. He did take his victory lap with the Abbott device. I would doubt at this point anybody can fathom what it's going to do to the 2034 Social Security mess especially in light of the next stimulus bill to stabilize the economy.
If the market goes down, the smart money will be buying. Smart money is also looking at converting tax deferred retirement accounts like IRAs, 401Ks, etc. to Roths because tax rates will probably go up.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:45 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:59 pm When Trump move the shutdown date from Easter to end of April, he's going to cause the market to go down tomorrow. Just my intuition. He did take his victory lap with the Abbott device. I would doubt at this point anybody can fathom what it's going to do to the 2034 Social Security mess especially in light of the next stimulus bill to stabilize the economy.
If the market goes down, the smart money will be buying. Smart money is also looking at converting tax deferred retirement accounts like IRAs, 401Ks, etc. to Roths because tax rates will probably go up.
Hmmm, interesting concept regarding conversion of IRAs to Roths during market downturn. Wouldn't you still have to pay taxes on the IRAs? From my understanding of Roths, it's after tax contributions.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:04 am
Hmmm, interesting concept regarding conversion of IRAs to Roths during market downturn. Wouldn't you still have to pay taxes on the IRAs? From my understanding of Roths, it's after tax contributions.
Correct. The point uhwarriors is making is the tax rate may go up in the future, so would you rather convert now and possibly pay taxes at a lower rate on the amount you convert now then have your withdrawals from your Roth tax free or keep it as such and have it taxed at possibly a higher rate when you withdraw it later? Either way, you will have to pay taxes on the withdrawals.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:37 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:04 am
Correct. The point uhwarriors is making is the tax rate may go up in the future, so would you rather convert now and possibly pay taxes at a lower rate on the amount you convert now then have your withdrawals from your Roth tax free or keep it as such and have it taxed at possibly a higher rate when you withdraw it later? Either way, you will have to pay taxes on the withdrawals.
Thanks uhwarriors and Irse. Wish they would raise the maximum tax rate higher for those people making a million or ten million dollars a year. Sorry this is all OT but I also sent emails to politicians asking that companies that outsource their labor pay 12% or 6% to social security to boost social security for future generations.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Trump claims that 100,000 deaths in US, the job was well done to contain.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=primentp

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This is a sad commentary of our times when Florida rejects Cruise Ship carrying sick and dead corona virus passengers.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as-cr ... d=primentp

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:45 am This is a sad commentary of our times when Florida rejects Cruise Ship carrying sick and dead corona virus passengers.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as-cr ... d=primentp
This story induces outrage on so many levels. Considering that cruise ships have already been proven to be super spreaders, why are they still conducting business as usual? The Princess cruise ship that had to be quarantined in Japan took place in early February. Cruise ships are dirty, pollution generators which run under extremely poor labor practices. Why did Trump prioritize the bail-out of cruise ships? Prioritize medical supplies, you moron!