Can This Be The Year UH Gets A School Mascot?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Can This Be The Year UH Gets A School Mascot?

Post by sarvicdar »

Can This Be The Year UH Gets A. School Mascot?

It's a crying shame that the powers to be don't see the picture of the bright side of what a school mascot brings. For two coaching cycles (?), going on to the third, stretching some 8 seasons there has been an emptiness. Nothing. No mascot.

On the Hawaii sidelines there's a blank. On the opponent's sideline the national cameras pan in on their mascot giving that school, team and fans added air time, recognition, school spirit, PR, and surely a warm and fuzzy feeling (sigh). Hawaii? A crying shame.

I wish the new cycle had spokes and a voice that would step forward and petition for a new school mascot. Can TG please approach the podium and help the program.

Going back to last season's Call the Coach Show this subject was broached. Touched around the edges. But never bridged. Rolo, for his part, would pass the buck (and I can remember his chuckle as he said, "sure there's someone you can talk to").

I look further and see the misopportunities of families with kids that gravitate to Ronald McDonald, happy meals and prizes and have a clear trademark to identify with and see the attraction. Conversely, I see Hawaii's void, a huge empy pineapple field so to speak on the sidelines, as being unattractive, which imo doesn't help in selling tickets..

The powers to be need to realize this. It's not only the product on the field but also the accoutrements, perpheral things, that add to the gameday ecperience. If someone had the forebearance to think out of the box and bring a few Kamehama Day horses along the sideline. Somthing. I would be a buyer.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Can This Be The Year UH Gets A School Mascot?

Post by dakineguy »

Whatever happened to Vili the warrior?
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Bleed_Green
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Bleed_Green »

dakineguy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:11 pm Whatever happened to Vili the warrior?
Moved to Louisiana to watch his sons play at LSU

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

As much fun as that was, it probably would not be PC today. Somebody would get offended that "Vili" is making fun of a Polynesian.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

the surfing cheerleader that opens the warrior introductions is good enough. have her surf the end zone after every hawaii score.

too tedious trying to get a mascot through all the p.c. crowd.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Don't really need a mascot
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

dakineguy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:11 pm Whatever happened to Vili the warrior?
I believe that he was not retained after Chow came on board.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Vili the Warrior was recruited by JJ in 1999 from the Polynesian Cultural Center to fire up the crowds.
https://www.hawaiilife.com/blog/vili-th ... ll-mascot/
He retired before the 2012 season to spend more time with family.
https://www.hawaii-aloha.com/blog/2012/ ... or-mascot/
We could use a younger mascot even if in costume to bring a little more fire to the sidelines. It keeps the fans entertained even if they are losing and can fire up a crowd when a great play is made.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I don't miss one.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A good read on some past mascots at UH. 2 pages, 164 to 165.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ok-SQ ... ry&f=false

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I remember the Marshmallow Man. I was there and witnessed it's entrance, once in the first half and then once in the second half as well as the fans showering debris onto the field when it passed by, and the chorus of boos throughout the stadium, while doing a counter-clockwise turn around the field. This is Mark Takai's legacy at UH. Trying to be PC and non-offensive, this was the result.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

st808 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:35 pm the surfing cheerleader that opens the warrior introductions is good enough. have her surf the end zone after every hawaii score.

Wasn't there a cheerleader that fell, recovered, and pretty much "could not" walk? I don't recall her name, but was a haole girl. When she recovered, she walked out to the middle of Aloha stadium with cheers. Cheerleading is a dangerous sport. When I was at UH, I know several that got hurt during practice. They keep have to push the limit to wow the fans.

IMO, the Dancers are good enough to keep the fans "wild".

Back to Vili. It was awesome when he got the (skinny) Japanese or haole boys to join him. All dressed up, and acting wild. It was love and sharing the culture. Too bad today that would be offending.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 am
st808 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:35 pm the surfing cheerleader that opens the warrior introductions is good enough. have her surf the end zone after every hawaii score.

Wasn't there a cheerleader that fell, recovered, and pretty much "could not" walk? I don't recall her name, but was a haole girl. When she recovered, she walked out to the middle of Aloha stadium with cheers. Cheerleading is a dangerous sport. When I was at UH, I know several that got hurt during practice. They keep have to push the limit to wow the fans.

IMO, the Dancers are good enough to keep the fans "wild".

Back to Vili. It was awesome when he got the (skinny) Japanese or haole boys to join him. All dressed up, and acting wild. It was love and sharing the culture. Too bad today that would be offending.
she was injured being tossed up and into a flip and hit the turf when the recovery catch failed. the surf board is an easy safe stunt. i can't remember ever seeing the dancers (kept in the north end zone) ever wilding up the crowd.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

A School Is Training Its New Team Mascot. It’s a Puppy. - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/spor ... ascot.html

From the article it reports that a school mascot serves as an ambassador for the school, piques interest in the school, and increases merchandise sales. And you can even add all the ink (and PR) the school receives from appearing in the NY Times.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »