2020 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@gopunahou: Well, Cal's been coaching for a very long time, and he is or will be 74 this year. I guess being HC has become overwhelming, and he has stepped-down to DC. I mean, when he was HC last season, he may have been the oldest HC on Oahu; I think the only other one close to him in age is Aiea HC Wendell Say. Say is kind of amazing, too, given how long he's been Aiea HC. I mean, for as long as Cal has been at St Louis, it seems Say has been at Aiea forever, too. Having said that, Say is also not coaching his alma mater; he graduated from Leilehua High in 1974. That makes him a full ten years younger than Cal. Right behind Say in age is McKinley HC Pat Silva. Silva is coaching his alma mater, having graduated from McKinley High in 1975. But, Silva has been HC for only a couple of years, I believe. Before that, he was Roosevelt HC. As Cal was an all-star LB for Kalani, Silva I think was an all-star QB for McKinley. I think Say played several positions for Leilehua: O, D, and special teams, even. Oh, wait a minute! For crying out loud, gopunahou! I forgot about your alma mater! Kale Ane graduated from Punahou School in 1971! How the heck did I forget about him? So, he'll be what, 67 this year? That puts him closer in age to Cal than Say is. Didn't Ane play for the Washington Redskins or the Kansas City Chiefs? Can't remember which. I think he was a long-snapper. No, wait. I'm confusing Ane with Arnold Morgado (Punahou '70?); he played for the Chiefs. But, I do think Ane was a long-snapper.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Back during the end of the season, heard rumor that Hilo's Kaeo Drummundo was going to be an assistant coach at Kamehameha. He played there back in mid-2000s. It looks like Hilo is looking for a new head coach so it seems to have happened. Back then I heard it was to be assistant coach but he's a good fit for head coach there too

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Neighbor wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm Back during the end of the season, heard rumor that Hilo's Kaeo Drummundo was going to be an assistant coach at Kamehameha. He played there back in mid-2000s. It looks like Hilo is looking for a new head coach so it seems to have happened. Back then I heard it was to be assistant coach but he's a good fit for head coach there too
I agree too. Kamehameha alum and he did great things at Hilo. Might be in line if Abu Maafala struggles again this season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm Back during the end of the season, heard rumor that Hilo's Kaeo Drummundo was going to be an assistant coach at Kamehameha. He played there back in mid-2000s. It looks like Hilo is looking for a new head coach so it seems to have happened. Back then I heard it was to be assistant coach but he's a good fit for head coach there too
@Neighbor: Well, what happened to the Hilo HC? He won the D1 State title this past season, right?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:51 pm
I agree too. Kamehameha alum and he did great things at Hilo. Might be in line if Abu Maafala struggles again this season.
@teamhawaii: I don't know what to think about Maafala. On the one hand, Kamehameha always seems to finish behind St Louis and Punahou. But, is it Maafala's fault? I think St Louis and Punahou have had better players.

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:54 pm
@teamhawaii: I don't know what to think about Maafala. On the one hand, Kamehameha always seems to finish behind St Louis and Punahou. But, is it Maafala's fault? I think St Louis and Punahou have had better players.
I think it’s a collection of both. The talent pool at Kamehameha isn’t the same as before. I feel like Hawaiian families are choosing different options either it be other private schools or sending their son to the mainland.

They’ve been irrelevant for the past 3-4 years. Maybe a new HC would be helpful. They have no excuse not to be good. But their Intermediate had a promising season, so hopefully their on the rise. Their really lacking offensive skill players (QB,RB,WR) though compared to St. Louis & Punahou which is a notable difference.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

This coming season is what, Abu’s 4th or 5th? One thing that might give KSK fans hope about him and its future is that it took Coach Ane six years to finish above 3rd place. Of course, that’s the year we snapped St. Louis’s streak of ILH titles. I’m hoping that kind of history repeats itself.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:36 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:54 pm

I think it’s a collection of both. The talent pool at Kamehameha isn’t the same as before. I feel like Hawaiian families are choosing different options either it be other private schools or sending their son to the mainland.

They’ve been irrelevant for the past 3-4 years. Maybe a new HC would be helpful. They have no excuse not to be good. But their Intermediate had a promising season, so hopefully their on the rise. Their really lacking offensive skill players (QB,RB,WR) though compared to St. Louis & Punahou which is a notable difference.
@teamhawaii: Well, guys have said that Kamehameha's talent pool has shrunk because the Big Isle and Maui campuses have siphoned-off some talent. I don't think so, really. Before those two new campuses were built, how many of Kamehameha's best players were boarders? Very few, I think. I also think Kamehameha has had good receivers, and good RBs especially. For some four decades, Kamehameha had been known for having good RBs. I think what Kamehameha has really been lacking are good QBs; I think that's the problem. In Maafala's defense, I think Kamehameha has been good. Trouble is, St Louis and Punahou have been better. Notice that both of those schools have had good QBs? That's what Kamehameha needs.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:40 pm This coming season is what, Abu’s 4th or 5th? One thing that might give KSK fans hope about him and its future is that it took Coach Ane six years to finish above 3rd place. Of course, that’s the year we snapped St. Louis’s streak of ILH titles. I’m hoping that kind of history repeats itself.
@gopunahou: In Ane's case, I don't think that he's necessarily gotten better as a coach. I think the reason he finishes behind St Louis only, is that he's been recruiting more and more Polys. Honestly, I think that's the reason. In fact, I think he's been siphoning Polys from Kamehameha (at least those who are Hawaiian). Notice how many Samoans have been on Punahou teams the past six years or more, too? That's all been happening under Ane. He's also had quite a few Hawaiian players, too. What does it say when Punahou is often called, "Kahuku South," when it comes to football? My understanding is that he's been raiding Kahuku High for good players, just as Cal Lee has been raiding McKinley High (the MWH kids) for good players. When it comes to football, I think Ane has been trying to turn Punahou School into "Poly High." Obviously, not all good football players are Polys. But Maafala's hands are tied in that if he's recruiting--and my understanding is that he isn't--he can recruit only kids with Hawaiian blood. That leaves-out all the Samoan kids, and we know what good football players those often are. Interestingly, isn't "Maafala" a Samoan last name? If it is, then HC Maafala must be Samoan and Hawaiian. He'd have to be, because he's a Kamehameha alumnus. But, how many kids are Hawaiian and Samoan? Not that many, I think. HC Maafala is probably an exception rather than the rule. In a way, Kamehameha is getting squeezed by its "Hawaiians only" policy. I mean, to have a "Hawaiians only" school in Hawaii might be a good thing, but it narrows your pool of potential students (and football players).

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Konawaena is traveling to Cali to play Servite during the 2020 season per The Orange County Register. Date was not mentioned in the article.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:37 am Konawaena is traveling to Cali to play Servite during the 2020 season per The Orange County Register. Date was not mentioned in the article.
@unpaid: And, did you see today's paper? Kapolei is traveling to Texas to play Nolan Catholic on September 4. The paper said that that school was 11-1 in their league last year. Looks like Hernandez and Kapolei High, like York and Mililani High, think the cost and logistical hassle are worth it. Hernandez claims this is the first time a Hawaii high school has played a school in Texas. Whatever. How good is Konawaena? They're not even Open, right? And, how good is Servite? Is Konawaena biting-off more than it can chew?

teamhawaii

Post by teamhawaii »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:08 am
unpaid wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:37 am Konawaena is traveling to Cali to play Servite during the 2020 season per The Orange County Register. Date was not mentioned in the article.
@unpaid: And, did you see today's paper? Kapolei is traveling to Texas to play Nolan Catholic on September 4. The paper said that that school was 11-1 in their league last year. Looks like Hernandez and Kapolei High, like York and Mililani High, think the cost and logistical hassle are worth it. Hernandez claims this is the first time a Hawaii high school has played a school in Texas. Whatever. How good is Konawaena? They're not even Open, right? And, how good is Servite? Is Konawaena biting-off more than it can chew?
It sounds like you really dislike Hawaii team’s playing mainland teams.

I’m all for it. But these matchups are completely lopsided. Kapolei struggles against Hawaii teams, can’t imagthe score vs. this Texas Team.

Servite looks to be strong this year. QB Noah Fifita has been the starter since Freshman year and just got a scholarship from Hawaii. Also, Class of 22 WR-Tetairoa McMillan is the #1 WR in that class. Worth mentioning he’s originally from Waimanalo but moved to CA in middle school.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Servite was 7-4 last year. They finished third in the Trinity League in California. The two league opponents who finished 1-2 ahead of Servite were Mater Dei and St.John Bosco. Konawaena is gonna get stomped.They are D-I ,but they have a D-II enrollment around 830.

I don't think Coach Hernandez is trying to make Kapolei a national HS football power. He is more about trying to get as many of his players as he can hooked up with college scholarships while fielding the best team he can. Fred Salanoa is another coach who I feel uses his professional connections to help players get a college education. I don't think they are trying to make their schools national football powers. It's more about trying to help their students get a boost in life.FWIW,Coach York probably helps as many guys as he can get into college programs,but I think he has a little extra fire that makes him want to excel on a national level as well.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:10 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:08 am
It sounds like you really dislike Hawaii team’s playing mainland teams.

I’m all for it. But these matchups are completely lopsided. Kapolei struggles against Hawaii teams, can’t imagthe score vs. this Texas Team.

Servite looks to be strong this year. QB Noah Fifita has been the starter since Freshman year and just got a scholarship from Hawaii. Also, Class of 22 WR-Tetairoa McMillan is the #1 WR in that class. Worth mentioning he’s originally from Waimanalo but moved to CA in middle school.
@teamhawaii: Well, it's not that I dislike it so much as it's that I don't care about mainland schools. For me, it's all about Hawaii. I simply don't care if mainland schools are stronger or weaker. But like you said, Mililani and Kapolei might get their butts kicked. So, they spend all that money and go through all that logistical hassle to fly their respective teams to the mainland, and for what? To get their butts kicked? Don't see how that's supposed to get Mililani alumni and Kapolei alumni excited. Both Mililani and Kapolei are Open, so they'll already be playing tough schools like St Louis, Punahou, and Kahuku. To go to the mainland and play schools that may be tougher still, sounds to me like gluttony for punishment. In addition, games against mainland schools don't even count towards your league record; they're basically exhibition games. And, you could lose key players to injury in those games. So, tell me again how all of that is truly worth it. Another threat, of course, is coronavirus. Isn't it present in over half of the mainland states? Japan is shutting-down some schools until the end of March. Is that going to happen here in Hawaii? Of course, we're talking about now, not when football season starts. This coronavirus threat seems to be very serious. Here we are, talking about the upcoming football season. If coronavirus arrives here, there might not even be a football season.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:53 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:40 pm This coming season is what, Abu’s 4th or 5th? One thing that might give KSK fans hope about him and its future is that it took Coach Ane six years to finish above 3rd place. Of course, that’s the year we snapped St. Louis’s streak of ILH titles. I’m hoping that kind of history repeats itself.
@gopunahou: In Ane's case, I don't think that he's necessarily gotten better as a coach. I think the reason he finishes behind St Louis only, is that he's been recruiting more and more Polys. Honestly, I think that's the reason. In fact, I think he's been siphoning Polys from Kamehameha (at least those who are Hawaiian). Notice how many Samoans have been on Punahou teams the past six years or more, too? That's all been happening under Ane. He's also had quite a few Hawaiian players, too. What does it say when Punahou is often called, "Kahuku South," when it comes to football? My understanding is that he's been raiding Kahuku High for good players, just as Cal Lee has been raiding McKinley High (the MWH kids) for good players. When it comes to football, I think Ane has been trying to turn Punahou School into "Poly High." Obviously, not all good football players are Polys. But Maafala's hands are tied in that if he's recruiting--and my understanding is that he isn't--he can recruit only kids with Hawaiian blood. That leaves-out all the Samoan kids, and we know what good football players those often are. Interestingly, isn't "Maafala" a Samoan last name? If it is, then HC Maafala must be Samoan and Hawaiian. He'd have to be, because he's a Kamehameha alumnus. But, how many kids are Hawaiian and Samoan? Not that many, I think. HC Maafala is probably an exception rather than the rule. In a way, Kamehameha is getting squeezed by its "Hawaiians only" policy. I mean, to have a "Hawaiians only" school in Hawaii might be a good thing, but it narrows your pool of potential students (and football players).
Fanatic, a lot of people don’t mention this, but what’s helped is the fact that boys volleyball is no longer a fall sport. Think about this: if volleyball had been a fall sport for the past 13 years, Larry Tuileta wouldn’t have played football. He’s the greatest QB who’s ever played for us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!