Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Boys' and Girls' Basketball '19-'20

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

True dat! Don't count out Konawaena,though. The Wildcats have Coach Awa and players who have played club basketball in addition to school hoops. We will see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm HS Football Fanatic,

True dat! Don't count out Konawaena,though. The Wildcats have Coach Awa and players who have played club basketball in addition to school hoops. We will see.
@unpaid: Please believe me, I would love to see Konawaena beat Iolani, but it's very unlikely to happen. Maryknoll beat Iolani once; if there are other guys out there who don't want to see Iolani win the title, Maryknoll is your only hope.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

It looks like St Louis School's basketball team is collapsing. Mid-Pac beat them tonight, 57-50. While St Louis is ranked #7, Mid-Pac isn't even ranked.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 pm It looks like St Louis School's basketball team is collapsing. Mid-Pac beat them tonight, 57-50. While St Louis is ranked #7, Mid-Pac isn't even ranked.
They might be collapsing #1 because the ILH is a tough league and #2 because their chances of making the state tournament are as great as my chances of dating a tall, blonde chick who makes Kate Upton look ugly.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:53 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 pm It looks like St Louis School's basketball team is collapsing. Mid-Pac beat them tonight, 57-50. While St Louis is ranked #7, Mid-Pac isn't even ranked.
They might be collapsing #1 because the ILH is a tough league and #2 because their chances of making the state tournament are as great as my chances of dating a tall, blonde chick who makes Kate Upton look ugly.
@gopunahou: Well, ILH D1 is indeed a tough league. But, if there's an ILH tourney after the regular-season schedule, St Louis still has a chance to make States. Your alma mater does, too, but they'll have to get past Maryknoll and Damien, which won't be easy. Maryknoll beat Damien by only 4, 45-41, a few seconds ago.

Naz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Naz »

St. Louis has taken out top seeded ILH teams before in the ILH tournament in year's past. They've played almost every team close enough to be competitive and are capable this year of sending any of the top 3 ILH teams home if they play well enough. That is the gauntlet that is the ILH.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:13 am St. Louis has taken out top seeded ILH teams before in the ILH tournament in year's past. They've played almost every team close enough to be competitive and are capable this year of sending any of the top 3 ILH teams home if they play well enough. That is the gauntlet that is the ILH.
@Naz: Well, that's true, but I'm still trying to figure-out how St Louis (#7) lost to unranked Mid-Pac by 7. I did say in an earlier post that every school in ILH D1 has to bring its A-game, or they could get beat. The only school you can be perhaps a little relaxed against, I think, is Iolani.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

I agree with you guys about St. Louis. They have a chance of making the state tournament, but they do have to bring their A game every night. If they have a weakness, it’s that they aren’t as deep as some of the other teams. I think they lost to mid-pac because it was 2 days after losing a heart breaker to Maryknoll by 1 point. Then 2 days later they lost to Kamehameha. If they only had to play one game against Punahou to be the third ILH team, it would be a toss up. However, I think they have to win 2 or 3 games within a week in the ILH tournament to make it to states, which will make it little bit harder. But it wouldn’t surprise me If they do. They are a team capable of beating anyone.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am I agree with you guys about St. Louis. They have a chance of making the state tournament, but they do have to bring their A game every night. If they have a weakness, it’s that they aren’t as deep as some of the other teams. I think they lost to mid-pac because it was 2 days after losing a heart breaker to Maryknoll by 1 point. Then 2 days later they lost to Kamehameha. If they only had to play one game against Punahou to be the third ILH team, it would be a toss up. However, I think they have to win 2 or 3 games within a week in the ILH tournament to make it to states, which will make it little bit harder. But it wouldn’t surprise me If they do. They are a team capable of beating anyone.
@Hooper: Well, Kamehameha and Maryknoll have already sewn-up two ILH D1 berths in States, so there's only one left. My gut feeling tells me that Damien might win it. They played real tough their last two games.

Hooper
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hooper »

HSFF - not sure if this rumor is true but I heard Damien is having issues regarding scholarships. Sounds like one of the players left the school. I didn’t hear this first hand so I don’t know if it’s true. But if it is, then I would say it’s between Punahou and St. Louis for the third birth.

Also, did you see Kahuku lost to Kaiser.? I’m not sure who the strongest team is from the OIA.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hooper wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:37 pm HSFF - not sure if this rumor is true but I heard Damien is having issues regarding scholarships. Sounds like one of the players left the school. I didn’t hear this first hand so I don’t know if it’s true. But if it is, then I would say it’s between Punahou and St. Louis for the third birth.

Also, did you see Kahuku lost to Kaiser.? I’m not sure who the strongest team is from the OIA.
@Hooper: Well, first of all, Damien School needs to get its doo-doo together. This is not the time to have a "scholarship issue." This should have been ironed-out before. Damien has a chance to win the last available ILH D1 berth to States, and can't afford screwups like this. Secondly, who is the player in question? If he's on an athletic scholarship, I assume he's a starter. Hopefully his backup can fill his shoes adequately. I'd rather see Damien in States, not Punahou or St Louis.

Yes, I had heard about Kaiser beating Kahuku; I had posted about it earlier. Kahuku alumni must have been pissed. It was a one-point loss, with a Kaiser player icing it with a free-throw with just a few ticks left in the game. Doo-doo happens.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I kind of wish the ILH tournament weren’t this weekend, but it is what it is.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 pm I kind of wish the ILH tournament weren’t this weekend, but it is what it is.
@gopunahou: Why don't you want it to be this weekend? Anyway, your alma mater has its butt to the wall; it's do or die. If Naz is right about Damien having "scholarship issues," Punahou might have a chance to edge them. But, then there's Mid-Pac. Mid-Pac is the school that snuck-in quietly through the back door, and started kicking other schools in the shins. St Louis is also dangerous. Punahou's girls are done; if Punahou School is going to maintain a presence in basketball, it will be up to the boys. But Damien, Mid-Pac, and St Louis are eager to slam the door on them. After all, it's dog-eat-dog. There's only one ILH D1 berth left for States. Damien, Punahou, Mid-Pac, and St Louis will all be trying to kick each other hard in the family jewels, so to speak. When you throw-in Iolani, it's like a circular firing-squad made-up of those five schools. It's do or die, survival of the fittest, and all those other cliches. But, all those cliches ring so true. When the ILH D1 2nd round is over, only only one of those five schools will emerge alive, all bloodied and battered. It's possible that Kamehameha and Maryknoll will play for the 2nd round title. Punahou finished 3rd in the 1st round, right? Well, if they can finish 3rd in the 2nd round, then they go to States, right? Wait; did Damien finish 3rd in the 1st round? Can't remember. If Damien did finish 3rd in the 1st round, then Punahou not only has to finish 3rd in the 2nd round, but they would also have to beat Damien in a play-off for the last State berth, right? Now Damien's "scholarship issue" is looming very large. gopunahou, you know how I feel about your alma mater; I'll have to root for Damien. But, even that is premature. Who knows which schools will win in that ILH 2nd round? Anything can happen.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:08 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 pm I kind of wish the ILH tournament weren’t this weekend, but it is what it is.
@gopunahou: Why don't you want it to be this weekend? Anyway, your alma mater has its butt to the wall; it's do or die. If Naz is right about Damien having "scholarship issues," Punahou might have a chance to edge them. But, then there's Mid-Pac. Mid-Pac is the school that snuck-in quietly through the back door, and started kicking other schools in the shins. St Louis is also dangerous. Punahou's girls are done; if Punahou School is going to maintain a presence in basketball, it will be up to the boys. But Damien, Mid-Pac, and St Louis are eager to slam the door on them. After all, it's dog-eat-dog. There's only one ILH D1 berth left for States. Damien, Punahou, Mid-Pac, and St Louis will all be trying to kick each other hard in the family jewels, so to speak. When you throw-in Iolani, it's like a circular firing-squad made-up of those five schools. It's do or die, survival of the fittest, and all those other cliches. But, all those cliches ring so true. When the ILH D1 2nd round is over, only only one of those five schools will emerge alive, all bloodied and battered. It's possible that Kamehameha and Maryknoll will play for the 2nd round title. Punahou finished 3rd in the 1st round, right? Well, if they can finish 3rd in the 2nd round, then they go to States, right? Wait; did Damien finish 3rd in the 1st round? Can't remember. If Damien did finish 3rd in the 1st round, then Punahou not only has to finish 3rd in the 2nd round, but they would also have to beat Damien in a play-off for the last State berth, right? Now Damien's "scholarship issue" is looming very large. gopunahou, you know how I feel about your alma mater; I'll have to root for Damien. But, even that is premature. Who knows which schools will win in that ILH 2nd round? Anything can happen.
Punahou carnival

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: Oh, that's right. It's February, and that's Punahou Carnival month. Well, I'd assume it won't affect the basketball team; I'm assuming that none of the players will have to work the carnival.