Possible next head coaches for UH?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who would you pick for the next Head coach?

Batoon
5%
Stuzman
38%
Brian Smith
3%
June Jones
13%
Timmy Chang
No votes
Another UH assistant that I didn’t mention
10%
Someone else
21%
They should dissolve UH football
10%

Total votes: 39

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Re: Possible next head coaches for UH?

Post by ulua »

There is widespread belief the top candidates would be Brian Smith, UH’s offensive coordinator and associate head coach; Craig Stutzmann, quarterbacks coach and pass-game coordinator; Mark Banker, assistant head coach and linebackers coach, and Mike Cavanaugh, Syracuse’s offensive line coach.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/ ... a7610c6d48

Mike Cavanaugh's name has been thrown into the mix as well, I wouldn't mind this hire as well since he did coach at Hawaii

NatutuaoKU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by NatutuaoKU »

My Dream staff Hahahahaha...

HC - Rich Miano
Assistant HC - Jeff Ulbrich

OC - Stutz
OC - Timmy Chang
RB - BILLY RAY STUTZMANN
OL - Weber
WR - Chad Owens

DC - Jeff Ulbrich
Assistant DC -
DL - Isaac Sopoaga
DE/OLB - Michael Bennett (since he lives here and gonna start teaching at UH)
LB - Jeff Ulbrich
CB - Abraham Elimimian
DB - Leonard Peters

Quality Control - Cal Lee

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

ulua wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 am
There is widespread belief the top candidates would be Brian Smith, UH’s offensive coordinator and associate head coach; Craig Stutzmann, quarterbacks coach and pass-game coordinator; Mark Banker, assistant head coach and linebackers coach, and Mike Cavanaugh, Syracuse’s offensive line coach.

Mike Cavanaugh's name has been thrown into the mix as well, I wouldn't mind this hire as well since he did coach at Hawaii.
The facts are that.....Cavanaugh's experience as been exclusively as an OL Coach....without any OC nor HC experience.....and hasn't lived in Hawaii for 15 years.....and hasn't recruited Hawaii nor even the West Coach ever since he left Oregon State (5 years ago).
https://cuse.com/staff-directory/mike-cavanaugh/671

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

Hoping for a fast and good hire.

As for names we are hearing:
1. Cal Lee is too old and learn from UNLV about hiring a high school coach.
2. I can be ok with June Jones, but I would prefer him as OC. His lack of recruiting puts me off as an HC.
3. Craig Stutz I can see as OC sure, but he needs more DI experience before becoming the HC.
4. Mike Cavanaugh as OC maybe, but not the head coach.
5. Brain Smith I am sure will follow Rolo.
6. Mark Banker has a lot of experience and could be a short term fix.
7. Batoon, I just don't see him as an HC. DC yes, but not the head coach. It will be interesting to see if he follows Rolo. He seems close to Rolo so guessing he follows him.
8. Rich M, If he was still coaching I might feel better. But being out of coaching for 4 years is a long time, 8 years out of college coaching.

My pick is 29-year coaching veteran, Brian Norwood. He is in his earl 50's and I can see him staying at Hawaii for 10 years. I believe the current staff that wants to stay would be welcomed on his staff. He is ready to be a head coach. He and his wife love Hawaii and UH.

With that said, Rolo was not my first choice 4 years ago, and he did a great job.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Safe to assume Matlin’s phone is really busy now. Would be interesting to know who has shown interest in the job.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ ... ball-coach

here's the link to the coaching job application. Under salary it's listed as 'negotiable' :D

ulua
All-American
All-American

Post by ulua »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:53 am
ulua wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 am

Mike Cavanaugh's name has been thrown into the mix as well, I wouldn't mind this hire as well since he did coach at Hawaii.
The facts are that.....Cavanaugh's experience as been exclusively as an OL Coach....without any OC nor HC experience.....and hasn't lived in Hawaii for 15 years.....and hasn't recruited Hawaii nor even the West Coach ever since he left Oregon State (5 years ago).
https://cuse.com/staff-directory/mike-cavanaugh/671
Thanks for the insight Kapakahi this is stuff I didn't realize or think about.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 465582002/
Mike Leach is taking his Wazzu Offensive Coaches (WR, RB, OL; except for TE) along with the Special Teams & Strength Coaches with him to Mississippi State.....which could mean that Rolo might offer assistant coaching positions to Andre Allen, Brian Smith, Mark Weber, Michael Ghobrial, and Dwain Bradshaw.....at minimum....to follow him to Wazzu. SInce Leach is his own OC and QB Coach, Rolo could also offer Stutz as his QB Coach (since a TE Assistant Coach is not needed).

The Wazzu website lists the assistant coaches that Leach didn't take with him to Mississippi State.
https://wsucougars.com/sports/football/ ... er-coaches

ulua
All-American
All-American

Post by ulua »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pm https://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 465582002/
Mike Leach is taking his Wazzu Offensive Coaches (WR, RB, OL; except for TE) along with the Special Teams & Strength Coaches with him to Mississippi State.....which could mean that Rolo might offer assistant coaching positions to Andre Allen, Brian Smith, Mark Weber, Michael Ghobrial, and Dwain Bradshaw.....at minimum....to follow him to Wazzu. SInce Leach is his own OC and QB Coach, Rolo could also offer Stutz as his QB Coach (since a TE Assistant Coach is not needed).

The Wazzu website lists the assistant coaches that Leach didn't take with him to Mississippi State.
If UH is to promote one of the existing coaches to HC then they should do it quickly before Rolo does

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Wild Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 am Let me tell you a story about Rich Miano. After the 2011 season when Mack left and Chow came in, the graduating senior players were left in the lurch. Chow said he had no plans of holding a pro day for the seniors as they were not his players and he was busy preparing for his first spring ball. Rich Miano stepped forward and contacted the NFL teams and organized a UH Pro Day at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA for the graduating UH players. Rich and as I recall Coach Gordy Shaw were there and coordinated the event. Rich was no longer on staff and had no economic incentive to do what he did. That showed that he was committed to those who wear the UH uniform and embraces the meaning of ohana. For that reason, I would strongly support Rich Miano receiving strong consideration for the HC job.
See my posts from back on March 5, 2012 that corroborate this....
https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/warr ... pro-day-4/

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

Jeff Reinbold HC
Timmy Chang
Craig Stutz as OCs
Pisa Tinoisamoa as DC

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

stutz is ready.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Whomever is hired as the new HC, Matlin really needs to get it done by next week (at latest)....because the Recruiting Dead Period ends this Thursday (January 16) which would normally be when UH would either fly out to conduct a home visit with a mainland prospect and meet his family or host an official recruiting visit to UH for a mainland prospect.

As it stands now, UH is already losing this coming January 17 - 19 weekend to conduct mainland home visits and/or host official recruiting visits to UH......leaving only 2 more weekends for mainland prospects to take official recruiting visits to UH before the February 5 NLI Signing Date (since local HS recruits & mid-year JC transfers were the focus for the December Early Signing Date).

Even if Matlin selects the new HC from among the current assistant coaches by next week (at latest), the new HC still probably won't have enough time to arrange the hosting of any official recruiting visits to UH for the following (January 24 -26) weekend either.....while he scrambles to assemble a coaching staff (preferably an OC and DC).....while hopefully retaining at least some of the current assistant coaches (who would be available and ready immediately to commence with recruiting efforts) in order to contact prospective mainland recruits and conduct mainland home visits.....which leaves only 1 weekend (January 31 - February 2) to host these mainland prospects to UH for an official recruiting trip before the Recruiting Dead Period re-starts on February 3 and before the February 5 NLI Signing Date. Hosting mainland prospects (probably at least twice as many an normal) to UH for an official recruiting trip all on the same January 31 - February 2 weekend (which would normally be spread out over 2 or even 3 separate weekends) will be logistically more difficult to arrange (especially with the better prospects already likely to have pre-arranged to visit another school....even a Wazzu…..for this same last available recruiting weekend).

Being that most of the Power-5 schools have already signed the majority of their available initial 25 scholarships on the December Early Signing Date (more so than they did the past 2 years from when the Early Signing Date was initially instituted), prospects who might have had early Power-5 scholarship offers but who didn't sign their NLI probably have less (if any) scholarship options for the February 5 NLI Signing Date. As such, I can see where these mainland prospects (especially from the West Coast) might sign their NLI with their best available MWC school option on February 5....especially if they had visited the school beforehand.

IF Matlin waits too long (beyond next week) to hire the new HC, then the new HC (whomever he is) might have to resort to offering & signing mainland players (who otherwise don't have any scholarship offers) sight unseen (before any mainland home visits are conducted and/or the mainland prospects even take an official recruiting visit to UH....since the Dead Period re-starts on February 3) based strictly on referrals, phone conversations and/or film evaluation) on the February 5 NLI Signing Date....which could result in a crapshoot as to whether the new signee is the right fit for UH....and vice versa.
kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:25 pmhttps://www.clarionledger.com/story/spo ... 465582002/

Also , Rolo will probably assemble the majority of his new Wazzu coaching staff....offering some (if not all) of his UH assistant coaches....at latest by next week too....since Wazzu still has some available initial scholarship spots that also need to be filled on the February NLI Signing Date. As such, each UH assistant coach might be forced into making a quick decision by next week (or even sooner).....whether to follow Rolo to Wazzu…..or to take the risk of being selected as the new UH HC or even just to be retained by the new UH coaching staff as an assistant coach.

I just hope that Matlin understands the time constraints (and the potential associated consequences) that he is facing in order to select a new HC in a timely manner. Otherwise, the new HC will be hamstrung from the get-go in order to sign good players for the remaining openings to secure a decent 2020 Signing Class....to address defensive recruiting needs to add quality depth to the DL and DB positions.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Bring back June Jones and be done with it. Keep the system intact the only thing to do would be to adjust the defensive staff.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Still waiting to see who the interim head coach is. Strange it is taking so long.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: